• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My home made harmonic balancer installation tool

cscmc1

Yes, it's hillbilly, but, by God, it worked! I got tired of the local Fastenall's inability to get me an M16 bolt with the right thread pitch of sufficient length to use (the long ones they ordered in were all only partially threaded), so I just took a bolt of stock length and welded a Grade 8 bolt from Ace Hardware to it. You thread the "stock" bolt into the crank, then use the stock thick washer and the nut shown to crank the balancer down into place (keeping the threads oiled while doing so). It will get it nearly all the way on when the washer hits the head of the welded bolts, but by then, you can easily use the stock bolt to finish seating the balancer without doing any damage. Worked great for me, anyway. There's about $10 worth of hardware here that I (hopefully) won't ever need again.

I'm offering it in the Pay It Forward section to whomever can use it with the condition that they do the same when they're done with it (if my ugly-arse welds hold up). See a pic here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/pay-fo...c-balancer-installation-tool.html#post1213981

Keith_J

I lucked out. I had in my tool box a NAPA Crankshaft Puller, #2291 (KD Tools 2291). It has the correct bolts AND the threaded puller shaft is the correct M16 pitch! Which means you insert the hex head into the crank (hex head is machined down from the threaded portion). then turn the puller body to pull the new damper onto the crank! Grease and that monster washer helps, I have a needle thrust bearing which worked magic here, just an 8" adjustable wrench was needed to turn the puller.

The threaded portion removed easily after the damper seated fully. Still took me 2 hours to pull the old one and pull the new one on.

cscmc1

Yep, I have seen those NAPA tools, and they are nice, but didn't want to buy one for a single-use. NO ONE rents one with the proper M16 fine thread adapter, so I wound up using this. Worked like a charm.

Keith_J

I've used this KD Tool 2291 on Fords, Mazdas, VWs and Briggs and Stratton. I've had it for 8 years, amazing it works for this application for both removal and install. IIRC, I paid $15 for it. I think I have gotten my money's worth.

cscmc1

Now, for $15 I'd have gladly snapped one up! The ones I saw were ~$70 -- just a bit much for a one-and-done tool. The local NAPA didn't show me the 2291... wish they had. That's perfect.

m38inmaine

Replaced my harmonic balancer on the M1010 today using the 2291 tool and the Keith_J method, was super slick. This inexpensive tool will remove and install it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks