• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My homemade headlight covers

commandojeff

My dad and me were talking about some headlight covers for my truck. Well today we installed em. I still have to paint the bolts (I'm going out there now actually), so don't mind the silver bolts. This is what we came up with. I think it looks pretty decent. What do you guys think?

Jeff

Attachments

jw4x4

That looks good. Fits right in. I have been thinking of doing something similar to protect the LED's on my truck. I imagine those covers would not affect the headlights' output very much.

jrod66

this^ would be my only concern also, but if you have a high output bulb like an LED or HID I think you would be fine, and protect your investment! I like em

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great, looks like your headlights will be protected if you're running down oak trees. :mrgreen: Matches the grill guard too. Just paint those bolt heads.

Did you have the expanded steel on hand? I have no idea what that stuff costs if you were to buy it, but I bought my issue headlight covers for about $15.00. Yours however are far more robust.

commandojeff

Looks great, looks like your headlights will be protected if you're running down oak trees. :mrgreen: Matches the grill guard too. Just paint those bolt heads.

Did you have the expanded steel on hand? I have no idea what that stuff costs if you were to buy it, but I bought my issue headlight covers for about $15.00. Yours however are far more robust.
Yes I already had the material on hand, so it was a quick job. Not sure how much it's going for. My dad has had this stuff for years. I liked the idea of mounting the cover to the bars that run parallel to the ground, instead of mounting them to the headlight screws themselves. This way the bars take up the force and not the headlight itself.

I just got done taking the truck from my home to my storage place. It's dark out and I didn't notice a difference in the light output of the truck. I didn't feel like I was struggling for light in other words. These trucks don't have the greatest of headlights regardless haha. It does print a pretty cool pattern on a wall or garage if you are close to it.

rrrr

Jeff,

Looks great !
Here's a pic of the stock type covers. Yours look stronger.

FYI

There is a Veteran's charity car show Saturday Aug 18 at Purina Farms, 200 Checkerboard Loop, Gray Summit MO. $20 car registration. I might check with the guy and see if I can get in for free with my deuce or 5 ton.

Attachments

They look great. The only thing I would change is that it looks like they could be bolted in from the back side of the lip they are bolted to now. By doing so it would give it a lit bit more finished fitted look. Other wise I love the idea and will be doing the same on my M923.

commandojeff

The covers could be mounted behind. It would be easier if I had a roller to bend it in the right curve though. And they are shorter width wise cause of bolt clearance. I'm sure they could be done better and you can take it for what it is. This is how I did it and that's how it is :driver:.

commandojeff

Jeff,

Looks great !
Here's a pic of the stock type covers. Yours look stronger.

FYI

There is a Veteran's charity car show Saturday Aug 18 at Purina Farms, 200 Checkerboard Loop, Gray Summit MO. $20 car registration. I might check with the guy and see if I can get in for free with my deuce or 5 ton.
I would be up for the show, but I'm moving off to college on Friday. I will be pretty busy moving in and all.

eagle4g63

Personally, I like them on the out side....looks like the grill. I'd just paint them up to match the camo and call it good......I like them, makes me think about a set up for my deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks