• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My HSTRU (M116A2) Camper & Overland Trailer

bigfishtoys

Mandus HSTRU

trying to find the TM for my 2006 Mandus HSTRU so i can figure out how to put it all back together. bought it in pieces and not quite sure how to get the roll up doors back together. liberated manuals didn't have one, and only found an old trailer TM on SS. Anyone have the newer TM for the trailer made by Mandus?
Mandus HSTRU Trailer.jpg Mandus Trailer Tag.jpg

Last edited:

Overdrive

HSTRU Update:
Been working on the trailer for the past 5 months or so getting it ready for the annual cross country trek from Missouri to Arizona to attend the Overland Expo in Flagstaff in May and do some camping North of Pason and the Rim.

Changed color to match the new Jeep, reconfigured the roof rack to add storage, modified the water system, added a number of comfort improvements and since I just earned my amateur radio license added a few antennas and will be using my Yeasu 450D HF radio as well as a couple of Chinese VHF/UHF setups. Also whipped up a rack for Hummer Pioneer Tool setup and external rack for a 20mm can.

Added air bags on the rear of the jeep after the AEV 2.5" lift. Pics are with the trailer at combat weight ready for camping and 20lb. of air in the bags. Sits pretty good I think.

Should be all ready to go to Expo 17'! This year I will take pics and post of the different tent configurations.

HSTRU001.jpg

HSTRU002.jpg

HSTRU003.jpg

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang it Keith you're always two steps ahead of me. I just started turning my M116A2 into an Overlanding trailer and here you had this all along and I didn't realize it. Then after seeing yours I saw someone else over at Expedition Portal with another one. The only reason I'm using the 116 is I already had it but I have to frame in the enclosure and build my own doors and your idea is so much simpler. I really wanted to go to Expo West this year but broke my kneecap so not going anywhere for the next 8-12 weeks.

Last edited:

Overdrive

;) Sorry to hear about your knee... OUCH! Get better soon. Man that would have been cool to meet up at the Expo.

I really like the M1116A2 frame setup for pulling behind the jeep. Perfect pull for the JK and inside the wheel track. Eventually I would like to get the trailer axle to a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern so I can use JK wheels all the way around. I still need to figure out a spare tire mounting option for this year. I am going to try and get a spare mount up under the box. Still running the 265/75R16's tires on the stock rims.

heh, too many fun projects around here and not enough time! I may try to outfit the M1102 & S250 setup for next year's run to AZ but I am not sure I want to pull that with the JK.

OD

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any way to rig up a bumper on the trailer? If you were able to do that then put a swing out tire carrier on it.

I'm sure the JK could handle the 1102 by itself but add the weight and the wind sail properties of the shelter and you'd probably be going pretty slow.

Since you have such a lovely trailer, how about Big Bend this year? I'm trying to line up about 50 people so we have at least 5 show up.

Overdrive

The HSTRU has a nice thick aluminum bumper on the back with the integrated drop down landing leg that would hold a tire carrier fairly easily... I thought about coming up with some sort of swing down tire carrier on the back but it would need to swing down to the ground since the rear door on the HSTRU opens down and out. I have read a few posts from folks with 1101s that just use a piece of angle under the bed with a bolt or two holding up a spare out of the way and thought I may try something like that.

Yes on the S250 pulled by the JK. The surface area is too much for the Jeep IMHO. And I can speak from experience :)
Trailer002.jpg Trailer001.jpg
Pics are from trip in 2013 up on the rim in AZ (who says AZ is all desert!)
3000lb travel trailer with weight distro hitch and axle flip and bigger tires on the trailer. It worked ok but with all that front surface area your fighting headwinds. I didn't like it but it is doable. Penistar engine pulled the snot out of it just fine and I had the OME HEAVY rear springs on the Jeep. I still have the trailer but don't pull it with Jeeps anymore. Should just sell it (If anyone is interested in a gently used Nomad 140 travel trailer with axle flip and nice Yokohama AT tires PM ME ;) Incidentally, this trailer led me to decide on building the HSTRU for off-road fun.

The 1102 with the S250 on it is the same height as this travel trailer with the smaller 265/75R16 tires on the 1102 so wind resistance is close to the same if not a tad worse.

Another side note on this setup, I had too much tongue weight on the hitch so had to move propane tank to inside during transport and other issues. Just not a lot of margin on this kind of setup with a JK. I made 3 or 4 camping runs with this setup but opted for safety and wear and tear on the Jeep (even thought I traded it in already).

What time of year are you thinking for Big Bend?

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We're going back to Big Bend in Oct again. The weather was just about perfect (80/45 temp ranges) and it's still outside of the primary Park season. The primitive trails were empty except for a couple of street bikes and there are tons of back country campsites sitting empty.

Overdrive

Here are a few pics from the AZ trip in May 2017. Almost all updated mods worked perfectly except new integrated faucet for the door sink. Connection hose seal crapped out but my fault for overtightening. Great adventure with a week worth of camping!

AZ_Trip_2017_001.jpg
AZ_Trip_2017_002.jpg
AZ_Trip_2017_003.jpg
OD

Overdrive

A few more showing the HAM radio antenna madness as well as the ARB awning room with 3 walls. Amazing what you can do with a few sections of PVC pipe, an old tripod, and OD green paint!

AZ_Trip_2017_004.jpg

AZ_Trip_2017_005.jpg

AZ_Trip_2017_006.jpg

bigfishtoys

regarding the comments in this thread on a M1102 & S250 shelter box, i've been meaning to do that myself, but need to find a S250. How has that setup worked out? If not good, i was also going to set the S250 on the back of a M998 pickup style. assuming that's what they're made for anyway. any advice on any of this appreciated - where to buy a S250, the success or failures of that working for offroad camping.... thanks

Overdrive

bigfishtoys,
I never got around to mounting and outfitting the S250 shelter to the 1102 trailer. Got caught up in other shelter types. Finishing up an ultra secret project for this year's Arizona Overland Expo and camping adventure with a 788 and 1102 chassis. May post a separate write-up on the build and adventure after May. It will be traveling on a 1600 mile cross country route so i should have some feedback on how it worked out both towing and camping.

I am contemplating selling off the S250 as i now have too many shelter projects and may wind up using the 1102 as a hauling trailer.

Land Cruiser,
I think i replied to your PM on your questions.

OD

Last edited:

bigfishtoys

i look forward to seeing your road trip results. i may be interested in your S250 shelter. Contact me anytime on that. Looks like it's just over a 6hr drive from me to Wentzville, Missouri...
thanks

bigfishtoys,
I never got around to mounting and outfitting the S250 shelter to the 1102 trailer. Got caught up in other shelter types. Finishing up an ultra secret project for this year's Arizona Overland Expo and camping adventure with a 788 and 1102 chassis. May post a separate write-up on the build and adventure after May. It will be traveling on a 1600 mile cross country route so i should have some feedback on how it worked out both towing and camping.

I am contemplating selling off the S250 as i now have too many shelter projects and may wind up using the 1102 as a hauling trailer.

Land Cruiser,
I think i replied to your PM on your questions.

OD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks