• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Little Black Truck (Deuce ****)

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engine pics. Finally got around to the task of installing new-style headgaskets. The old weep-tab jobs were wetting the block pretty bad. Took the heads in to be resurfaced to find that they were both cracked between every single set of valves. Soooooo... While I was waiting for new heads to show up , figured I'd tidy up the engine compartment along the way. Installed one of them fancy new gear reduction starters too. Thanks again to everyone who has worked, and/or continues to work to keep this website going :)
IMG_20200916_164239336.jpgIMG_20200916_164553091.jpgView attachment 812201View attachment 812202IMG_20200916_165841086.jpgIMG_20200916_164831833.jpgIMG_20200916_165355285_HDR.jpgIMG_20200917_074958973_HDR.jpgView attachment 812201View attachment 812202

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Engine pics. Finally got around to the task of installing new-style headgaskets. The old weep-tab jobs were wetting the block pretty bad. Took the heads in to be resurfaced to find that they were both cracked between every single set of valves. Soooooo... While I was waiting for new heads to show up , figured I'd tidy up the engine compartment along the way. Installed one of them fancy new gear reduction starters too. Not sure why some pics got double-posted. Thanks again to everyone who has worked, and/or continues to work to keep this website going :)
View attachment 812214View attachment 812215View attachment 812201View attachment 812202View attachment 812203View attachment 812204View attachment 812217View attachment 812201View attachment 812202View attachment 812203View attachment 812204

Wow! That is nice looking. I might even go so far as to say super extra very clean even!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But if there is no oil seepage and no drips on the ground how do you know where to park your truck when you come back home? And is it not all going to rust without the oil protection? And if you ever go to a car show with it, they'd make you park with the shiny stuff, where owners polish chrome with little rags, not into the "leper corner" where the green things go, with blemishes that owners fix with a rattle can! :p

Menaces Nemesis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't take this the wrong way, but do you have OCD?
Only the first letter of the acronym; Obsessive... and no worse than many other passionate craftsmen or competitors. Those with true OCD tend to focus so intently on a single detail that they have trouble managing time and completing an overall task. Whether it's fabrication, gunsmithing, competitive shooting, automotive restoration, etc., I get consumed with the overall objective until it's accomplished, then I'm off to the next "obsession". :)

Last edited:

1Sinner

I just picked up a bobber myself. Its needs work, but thats part of the game. Yours is amazing. Noticed you have a/c vents tucked under the dash, is it a custom unit or did you adapt another product to fit?

Menaces Nemesis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just picked up a bobber myself. Its needs work, but thats part of the game. Yours is amazing. Noticed you have a/c vents tucked under the dash, is it a custom unit or did you adapt another product to fit?
The AC was put in by Boyce Equiptment, Ogden Utah, when the last owner had the truck (around 2014-2015?). At that time the cab was otherwise stock, other than being carelessly hosed with gray enamel. Without the cab sealing and insulation I added during the interior renovation the AC had very little effect. I haven't seen any manufacturers markings on the evaporator/blower housing in the cab, so I don't know who made that unit. The brackets for the compressor were nicely cut by a CNC burn table, but once again, no markings. Honestly, I never use the AC, I love hearing the sound of the engine too much, so I always want the windows down in the summer (I even left the compressor out after the engine bay revamp. might eventually pull the evaporator and condensor too unless something changes my mind down the road). If I lived in a climate where it got hotter, and was looking for an AC set up for a stock, uninsulated, scantly-sealed deuce cab with all that exposed steel interior surface, I'd defintely look for something with much, much more cooling capability, because a stock cab will basically just vent and convect conditioned air right out to the atmosphere.

Last edited:

1Sinner

The AC was put in by Boyce Equiptment, Ogden Utah, when the last owner had the truck (around 2014-2015?). At that time the cab was otherwise stock, other than being carelessly hosed with gray enamel. Without the cab sealing and insulation I added during the interior renovation the AC had very little effect. I haven't seen any manufacturers markings on the evaporator/blower housing in the cab, so I don't know who made that unit. The brackets for the compressor were nicely cut by a CNC burn table, but once again, no markings. Honestly, I never use the AC, I love hearing the sound of the engine too much, so I always want the windows down in the summer (I even left the compressor out after the engine bay revamp. might eventually pull the evaporator and condensor too unless something changes my mind down the road). If I lived in a climate where it got hotter, and was looking for an AC set up for a stock, uninsulated, scantly-sealed deuce cab with all that exposed steel interior surface, I'd defintely look for something with much, much more cooling capability, because a stock cab will basically just vent and convect conditioned air right out to the atmosphere.
Gotcha. Out where I'm at, it can get downright miserable in the summer (saw 118* this year) and I will definitely be insulating and sealing the cab if I decide to go the A/C route. That's a clean under dash unit and likely the one I would try to find. Hopefully with insulation and a reseal, it would bring the internal temps down to a manageable temp. A hot tin can at 110 plus is not a fun time. 105 across the phoenix valley last weekend with heat soak throughout the truck was downright miserable.

Menaces Nemesis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stunning truck, yours and a couple others I have seen made me get mine. As soon as I’m done with the remodel on my home it’ll be my next obsession. Do you have before pics of what you started with?
I take lots of pictures with my phone during disassemblies for reference when reassembling, I then have a bad tendency to delete them all when the job is done. I did manage to find ONE old one on my computer that i missed deleting for comparison of the engine bay...
Big Guy Ebay 4.jpgIMG_20200916_165355285_HDR.jpgIMG_20200916_164239336.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I have a tendency to take lots of pictures with my phone during disassembly for reference when reassembling, then I delete them all when the job is done. I did manage to find ONE old one on my computer that i missed deleting for comparison of the engine bay...
View attachment 815711View attachment 815712
As comparisons go, I think the expression is:

- "Night and Day"

Wow.

Nicely done!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks