• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Load Bank

stugpanzer

So I bought my MEP-803A in November but have not yet put a real load on it...until today! Up until today I was exercising the unit weekly while checking fluids, etc to make sure it didn't have any issues while running.

I have seen many Load banks out there and I wanted to get myself something that I could safely use, would be somewhat economical and would be easy to store.

I tried bidding on a 'proper' load bank but couldn't make that happen. I don't have room for storing a couple stoves so I came up with my own.

I bought a small Square-D Homeline Panel along with 4 15amp tandem breakers and 12 gauge romex wire.

I mounted the panel and 8 boxes on a piece of 3/4 plywood and wired it up.
01.jpg

I took Zed's advice and got myself some 3-phase Hubbell plug/sockets from the big auction place and wired them for single phase (X=Black, Y=Red, Z=N, G=G) with some 6/4 soow cord. I also put 8 15-amp simplex outlets on the board.
02.jpg

I bought 8 1500 watt space heaters. That will give me 12kw with all 8 running. Also at 1500 watts each, that's 12.5 amps each (at 120 volts) so I figured I am below the level where a 15 amp breaker might trip.

I set it all up on the fender of the trailer and started 4 of the heaters (alternating the breakers so I would keep the two loads fairly balanced). After about 30 minutes I fired up the remaining space heaters. I let the generator run for just over an hour. The exhaust never turned black and there was a bit more smoke at full load, but after about 20 minutes it was fairly clear. I did get some of those carbon bits on the driveway and here and there and I could smell a difference in the stuff burning out. Once the exhaust was pretty clear and I couldn't smell the burn-off smell I started removing the load. Once I was done shutting the heaters off, I then opened the load circuit and let the genny run for about 10 minutes before shutting it down.

20180303_141716.jpg20180303_141725.jpg20180303_141728.jpg20180303_141730.jpg20180303_141951.jpg20180303_142303.jpg

The load never quite reached 100% on the load meter....more like 90%.
20180303_142146.jpg

Overall, I'm happy with how this worked out. I am able to store the space heaters in a plastic tote and store them in the basement and the panel can be used for other duties as well as load banking. I think the only improvement I might make is to add a 20 amp circuit in the panel and mount a box on the side of the panel. Also, this is not at all water-proof so my own common sense on when and where I might use it will have to be considered.

Total cost was just under $300.

robson1015

You actually reached 100% at the 80 mark (in green). With a power factor of .8 the 80 line is 100% load with a resistant load like you have here.
Nice load bank !

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job! I was working on mine the other day while it was raining but had to work on my tractor today while it was sunny.

Those space heaters will also serve you well as emergency heat for a small space.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you may want to test the current going to the power meter and see if it is correct if you think your are pulling 12kw and the meter is showing 80 to 90%. That should be 120%. This is an ammeter. power factor is the conversion of KVA to KW. A 3 phase 12Kva generator with a 0.8 power factor is 10Kw. Disconnect the wire from pin 1 on the meter (162A) and connect an ammeter in series (between 162A and pin 1 on the meter. %power is amps x 100. 10kw = 1 amp = 100%. This way you will know if your gauge is correct. According to the manual if it is off more than 10% replace it. I have found that heaters do not always pull what they are rated at. You should use a clamp on ammeter to read the output to your load bank and see if it matches with your gauge also. I did both until I bought a load bank and put meters on it to show what my current and voltage applied was. This way you know just how accurate your generator and testing devices are.

stugpanzer

So you may want to test the current going to the power meter and see if it is correct if you think your are pulling 12kw and the meter is showing 80 to 90%. That should be 120%. This is an ammeter. power factor is the conversion of KVA to KW. A 3 phase 12Kva generator with a 0.8 power factor is 10Kw. Disconnect the wire from pin 1 on the meter (162A) and connect an ammeter in series (between 162A and pin 1 on the meter. %power is amps x 100. 10kw = 1 amp = 100%. This way you will know if your gauge is correct. According to the manual if it is off more than 10% replace it. I have found that heaters do not always pull what they are rated at. You should use a clamp on ammeter to read the output to your load bank and see if it matches with your gauge also. I did both until I bought a load bank and put meters on it to show what my current and voltage applied was. This way you know just how accurate your generator and testing devices are.
I will need to start with the actual individual space heaters I would expect in order to be accurate. I really don't know if each one is actually pilling 1500 watts but will be easy to check. Thanks for the input!

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had a few MEP's that the power meter was considerably off with the actual load. Not a big deal unless you are tripping out at what your meter says is 90% and your real load is an over 135%. Easier to gauge now that you have a load bank to test with and not a changing live load.

stugpanzer

I have had a few MEP's that the power meter was considerably off with the actual load. Not a big deal unless you are tripping out at what your meter says is 90% and your real load is an over 135%. Easier to gauge now that you have a load bank to test with and not a changing live load.
Thanks for the advice...it is greatly appreciated! I will do some testing with each individual space heater and see what each one draws...mark it on them then I will have an actual draw.

dav5

I installed a 70 Amp GE RV outlet box. It has a 50 amp breaker plus a 20 amp GFCI outlet. I purchased a 7500W Comfort Zone heater which also has a 5000W setting from the big auction site for $100. The GE box was $89 also from the big auction site. I can use this plus the 10 amp GFCI outlet on the generator to get over 10KW. If I really want to exercise it I connect the house, put a few pots of water on my cooktop on medium. Since my generator has very low hours with break in oil this works really well because it cycles on and off which changes the load frequently. I can switch from 7500 to 5000W settings to vary the load also. One of the benefits of the GE box is the 20 amp GFCI outlet for exterior use and I can use the heaters elsewhere.IMG_0830.jpgIMG_0829.jpg

Last edited:

dav5

I removed the cord that was hanging over the 1500W heater before it got hot and fried it by the way.

Kenny0

Thanks for the advice...it is greatly appreciated! I will do some testing with each individual space heater and see what each one draws...mark it on them then I will have an actual draw.
Nice setup. Just remember that the load will change with the voltage.

stugpanzer

I did my (not so) scientific check on all the space heaters and the wattage they actually pull. The following is what I found for each heater:

--------------------------------------------------
11086 total wattage draw (46.192 amps)

So now I know which heaters will be warmer! I believe my load percentage meter is pretty accurate!

20180310_123500.jpg

Last edited: