• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M 1009 Problems!!! Cont..

Jerchambers

Ok So I had it running for a day... I don't know what happened but I pulled into the driveway and was messing around with the brake lights.... Trying to get them to work... Anyway went to start and nothing... Same as before... Just glowplug relay clicking and the starter relay clicking. No cranking AGAIN!!! It has been another 10 days of nothing. I am totally at wits end and don't know what to do. I am cooked. Any thoughts or Ideas would be appreciated. Before anyone asks... I have checked the starter, checked the grounds, checked the wiring harness inside and out. checked and replaced the starter relay, and replaced a battery and connections to the batteries. Hmmm I am not sure if I forgot anything.... HELP!!!

Jerchambers

Well ABN173 I tried that and nothing... And to answer you 86BlazerK5 nothing happens except for some clicking. Not from the starter... Which I found out today is 12v.

mistaken1

Not a stupid question... But would that keep it from turning over?
I guess I am asking if the starting system is stock 24v or if it was modified to send 12V to the starter motor.

If it is a stock 24V starting system I suspect a 12V starter motor would run for a number of starts on 24V before the excess voltage kills it.

Typically low voltage will do in a motor faster than high voltage (unless the voltage is really high and breaks down the insulation leading to instant motor death, you can tell by the fire and smoke).

mistaken1

If it was modified to start on 12V then it gets really hard to help as no one but the person who modified it knows exactly what does what. If that person is not available all you can do is get a piece of paper and writing instrument and start tracing wires and making a diagram of what is connected to what.

Troubleshooting is much easier if you have a diagram, even if you have to draw it yourself.

You can scan and post the diagram you draw or if you have no scanner take a picture of it (a clear picture) and post it.

Blood_of_Tyrants

It sounds like the starter relay isn't sending power to the starter solenoid. A fast way to find out is to take a screwdriver and short the battery terminal to the solenoid start terminal. If it cranks over, you have a bad relay or bad wiring.

2deuce

Are your batterys in series? If your starter is 12 volt and you have 24 volts going to it you will turn the key to start and get no joy in a rather short lived time. If you have 24 volts at the starter thats what you need, a 24 volt starter. You probably have a dead spot on the commutator. I also had a 24v starter that shorted itself out on the rods/bolts that hold the starter together. If whoever sold you your truck put a 12v starter in it to spin the engine real fast for quick starts for the prospective buyer, that was a dirty trick they played. They also undoubtedly knew that starter would not last long if that was the case.

mistaken1

It could be that the stock 24V system is currently working correctly but the damaged 12V starter no longer works and needs to be replaced.

If you're confident that the starting system is stock 24V and that the current starter is 12V then you need to purchase and install a 24V starter.

At that point if the starter motor will not operate then the manuals (and people here) offer troubleshooting help.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes when you put an 12Volt starter in an 24 Volt system for starting the statrer will fail fast or in some cases cause
an wire met down or fire it will short out.
I advice unhook the battery cables and replace the starter with an 24 Volt delco or nippendenzo high tork.