• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MY M1008 caught on FIRE!

pl1338

I got this thing a couple years a go, haven't really done much to it, but in the last couple weeks took my boy fishing in it and ran some errands small trips. It wouldn't start the other day, no juice. So, I charge the batteries, then check them. One was a little over charged, so I left the lights on for a little while to take some of the charge off of it. Then I noticed the small ground wire from the neg. terminal was getting hot while I was trying to start it. After a little checking around, I found the culprit, the ground wires going to the top of the engine in the rear were filthy, and a little loose. After cleaning and tightening That thing started up like nobodies business and all is good. The boys at work haven't gotten to see the "General" yet, so I decide to take her in and show it off. I should have left it home, but about ten miles down the road I hear a screaming sound, I thought maybe I lost a generator belt. After noticing the charge was now in the yellow on the meter, this confirmed to me I was only running on 1 generator. A few more miles down the road and while slowing I notice smoke coming from my dash and then from under the hood! I pull it into the gas station and lift the hood, the transformer on the firewall is glowing red hot and bursts into flames! I put that fire out, grabbed a wrench, unhooked the batteries and now I'm wondering what the heck? I also noticed a small amount of smoke coming from gen 1 (driver side)... Anyone got any ideas on what the heck would have caused that?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no transformer on the firewall.

Have you done the DH relay conversion?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've noticed folks like to pull into gas stations when their vehicle is on fire. Stop it!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking back at your other posts, did you ever get you ground issues resolved? What about the loose terminals on the alternator?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They always have fire extingushers at gas stations!

Maybe he means the resistors?
He should have one in his vehicle, and yes, I'm certain he is referring to the resistors.

Incident may be related to Warthog's post.

pl1338

I've noticed folks like to pull into gas stations when their vehicle is on fire. Stop it!
Don't think for a second that I wanted it that way! I was going there anyway to fuel up, but I never got that far. And yes, I should have an extinguisher in there, they were even nice enough to leave me the mounting straps for it!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't think for a second that I wanted it that way! I was going there anyway to fuel up, but I never got that far. And yes, I should have an extinguisher in there, they were even nice enough to leave me the mounting straps for it![/

It's a professional observation.

pl1338

I did get the loose terminals on the alternator, they seemed to be working just fine. But I have a feeling something is wrong with at least one now because that meter in the truck dropped like a rock when this all went down.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need to check the wiring for the GP system, the GP themselves, the fusible links and the alternators.

I would remove the resistor pack and wire the GPs for 12v

pl1338

an over charging alt will kill a battery and cause stuff to blow up.
I had the alt's tested at a motor shop, and they were both "perfect" according to the shop guy, I don't think they were the issue here. I have noticed from time to time the "wait" light will come on or flicker when the truck is running, that might be some of the problem here, although I didn't notice that yesterday. That doesn't mean it didn't light, I just didn't see it.

pl1338

Ok, I'm just about to head out and go take the resistors off the truck, and see if it will run long enough to get it to Fort PJ. I have checked into the card and may do that, but I want to make sure everything is working fine before I do. Any suggestions for getting it home? I'll be removing the alt's again and taking them for testing after I attempt to run some tests of my own.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you had smoke, you more than likely have burnt some wiring. You may not be able to drive it.

Your alternator MIGHT have been good, but they need to be retested. You did say one of them was smoking.

Letting the smoke Genie out of the bottle is the easy part. Put it back in is what takes time and sometimes $$$.

pl1338

You will need to check the wiring for the GP system, the GP themselves, the fusible links and the alternators.

I would remove the resistor pack and wire the GPs for 12v
Yep, I'm going to start with the whole setup involving the GP's, I'm guessing they got fried too. I was under the impression that the only thing that was true 24v on these things was the starter? I do know the wires to the GP's are all fine, no heat issues with them (not that I won't check them out in case they got hot), only the resistors on the firewall, and speaking of fusible links, why the heck didn't that FL burn out when this thing got hotter than fire?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... and speaking of fusible links, why the heck didn't that FL burn out when this thing got hotter than fire?
Call GM and ask them why a 25+ year old link didn't operate properly..... ;-)

pl1338

@ warthog, Yes, you are correct! When I raised the hood, all of the smoke was coming from the resistors, it was heavy and they were red hot, then they lit up. After I got them out, and took the battery posts off, I noted a SMALL amount from the back of gen 1, no smoke from any wires, that I could see. I do plan to have both tested again and rebuilt as necessary. Now, I had smoke coming into the cab also, it was directly behind the resistors and I thought it was that heat heating up the inside, but then I found out that there is a GP card in there, so that will need to be investigated, could it be that card that caused this whole mess?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks