• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1008 now up and going.

butch32

Recently I bought a 86 m1008 with 86,000 miles from gov.liq and was not running when I got it. Upon trailering home found out the 7 of 8 glow plugs were bad and one battery was cracked and the other would not hold a charge and somebody ran a hi-lo fork thru the grill and took out the radiator. So I replaced the glow plugs with wellman 070's and two good batterys and found a radiator in a M1009 blazer. Also got I few other parts while I was there. like a pair of shackles and pins, glow plug relay, starter relay, glow plug card and grill and headlight bezels. After installing all the parts and checking fluid levels I decided it was time to try the beast. Turned the key waited for the glow plug light to go out and within a revolution it fired up and is running smooth. Then I took it for a drive and it shifted good and everything seems to be good. The only thing I'm curious about is why no temp or oil pressure gauges in these trucks.

Attachments

Dieselsmoke

If you should happen to want to sell them triangle shaped brackets for the top bows in the middle of the bed, I'll buy 'em 8)

Armada

found a radiator in a M1009 blazer. Also got I few other parts while I was there. like a pair of shackles and pins, glow plug relay, starter relay, glow plug card and grill and headlight bezels.
Where is 'there'?
Glad you got it working.

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: My M1008 now up and going.

Armada said:
found a radiator in a M1009 blazer. Also got I few other parts while I was there. like a pair of shackles and pins, glow plug relay, starter relay, glow plug card and grill and headlight bezels.
Where is 'there'?
Glad you got it working.
;) somehow i read over that you where in MI, where is this parts place? Do tell.

butch32

The M1009 is at mills auto parts in fort wayne, indiana. (1-800-295-5833). I believe that the motor, trans and transfercase is still good, both had oil, trans should be the turbo 400 with 208 transfercase, as when I pulled the glow plug controller card it had a burn spot on it. Rear bumper and pintle is there, front bumper is junk and grill guard missing. Seats are usable. Axles are there and body is intact and all glass. I may go back friday to pull alternators and starter. Unless somebody needs a complete motor with all accessarys. If somebody needs something or want me to look at something give me a shout.