• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1008 ORD 4" Lift w/37's

firstcucv

Nice truck! sucks you got cought on the lift law. i run a 4" lift and 37's as well. Funny part about the lift law here in MN is that there are trucks that roll off the lot and dont meet it.

Disciple

Nice truck! sucks you got cought on the lift law. i run a 4" lift and 37's as well. Funny part about the lift law here in MN is that there are trucks that roll off the lot and dont meet it.
Tell me about it! My truck isn't any taller than a lot of new Dodges or Fords! Just goes to show, if it looks like you're having too much fun, they'll pass a law banning it. Where in MN are you? I don't think I've seen any other lifted CUCv's around here. We're trying to get a bunch of members from around here together some time in the spring.

Disciple

Thanks for all the compliments guys! It's been quite a bit of work, but well worth it. Next I just need to convince the wife that I NEED a M1009 and then that I NEED to lift it as well! O.D. fever has fully set in now, temp is rising!

Disciple

We're getting off track pretty quick here, but in all seriousness, mine is OD inside and under the hood. The roof is OD in the cab. Isn't yours?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looks like there's a little tire contact with the fenders up front?

I only ask because I'm building a truck JUST like this.

Disciple

Truck looks great! I was thinking about getting the same kit for my truck. Did u have to shim the rear or does the shackle flip correct it?
Thanks! Not sure what you're referring to here. Correct what? I will say that the shackle flip pivots the rear axle backwards a bit, that helps to correct the driveshaft angle, but it also meant that we had to repeatedly heat and bend the passenger side shock mount on the axle to keep the bottom of the shock from hitting the axle under full articulation. I also have not extended the bump-stops yet, which I probably should soon before I break something.

Disciple

Looks like there's a little tire contact with the fenders up front?

I only ask because I'm building a truck JUST like this.
There was quite a bit of contact with the outer fender, which I trimmed to correct. I just used a grinder, scribed a straight line and cut with a grinder, then used hammers to roll the edge over and coated with primer, chip guard, then paint.

I think there is still a little bit of contact on the inner fender when fully extended, like in my avatar pic, but that's with the swaybar disconnected too. I'm sure that would get fixed by extending the bump stops, just haven't gotten to that. There's always a list of other things the truck "needs": rear spacers, turbo or better yet, a Cummins 6bt, roof rack, PIAA lights, winch, etc etc etc.

Disciple

Digital Camo paint job, bed-liner under the whole truck and up the rockers and in the cab, rock sliders, e-locker in front diff, "doubler" t/c, snorkel, off-road air system, and a turret in the bed with a Ma Deuce .50 for "expedient bear removal" when out in the deep woods. Just in case.

Might as well just spend the $80,000 for a custom dedicated rock crawler.

Disciple

do the DH mod yet?
Oh yeah, long time ago. I've done a lot of "little" things to the truck since I've had it that I've never reported here. Might as well now:

Doghead starter relay mod, with push-button backup
GP Relay on switch and controller card
Replaced batteries with new Komatsu 1,400 CCA batteries from a front-end loader
New starter
New alternators
Various wiring re-dos and replacements
Custom drop-bumper for rear to keep the cops happy
Installed rear license plate light (same reason as above)
Replaced outer tie rod
Replaced power steering box
Replaced fuel lift pump
Replaced all belts (a couple of times now)
DIY at-home exhaust job (=sawzall to pipes in front of mufflers, replaced with 45 degree elbows pointed at the ground! Wide open!)
Installed an all-weather 12v power point in cab for electronic goodies (constant power from ignition harness)
Replaced brake rotors and pads
Relocated civvy 7-pin trailer harness to inside the bumper (got sick of breaking it off and replacing it when running stuff over, doesn't hang down now, protected by bumper)
Replaced the heater core
Extended diff breathers
Replaced glow plugs twice now
Trimmed front fenders
Installed diamond plate saddle box
Replaced engine block temp sensor for GP controller
I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting. I figure if I just keep going, eventually I'll have a whole new truck!

Next projects on the list:
Install block heater
Turn up IP 1/8 turn
Snorkel kit
Replace all diff and t/c seals
Replace wiper motor assembly (anyone have a p/n for that? Can't find it)
Find mysterious source of minor oil leak