• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1009 came with a humvee transmission drain pan?

linx310

This weekend I checked out my transmission fluid level and it was a little low so I added some fluid. I think I overfilled it a little so I crawled under and noticed the pan on my transmission has a drain plug.

I thought maybe it was a depo mod but I looked up the pan and it goes to the humvee.

Was this a common upgrade to swap these out with the ones on the M1009?

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
I had a fleet of M1009s and M1008s in Japan in the mid 90s and before the Marine Corps did away with the CUCs, we started using alot of HMMWV parts because it was becoming difficult to get the CUC parts through our supply system. Tranny pans were one of the common swaps we performed.

sneekyeye

Heck, if you want to do that, just get one of the myriad of turbo400 pans that have a plug built in. You don't necessarily have to get a humvee one

Bighorn

Yeppers, my 1986 M1009 has the turbo 400 transmission with the drain plug in the pan too. Also a giant magnet inside the pan but I think that is stock just like the NP208 transfer case.
However, the drain plug is useful for draining the fluid; I always recommend removing the pan and doing a transmission filter, cleaning the magnet, and replacing the pan gasket every time.
My old International Harvester even had drain plugs on either side of the torque converter!
Now that was some fluid to replace!

cucvrus

cucvrus

internally cooled

How does that work? The tubes that are in the pan are nice for over road use. But military , logging construction and off road they would be clogged in a week. Define internally cooled.

Bighorn

internally cooled

How does that work? The tubes that are in the pan are nice for over road use. But military , logging construction and off road they would be clogged in a week. Define internally cooled.
Yep, I have that pan on the turbo 350 under my 76 K5.
Any mud running at all and at least a few of the tubes are plugged up.
I have no idea if it aids cooling or not.
Came with the truck.
Looks cool.

DREDnot

Drock

internally cooled

(Internally cooled) The tubes run completely through the inside of the pan, and are essentially in a bath of trans fluid. Vs an external, remote, trans cooler. I can't imagine the tubes getting clogged that easy? Perhaps no worse then a trans cooler in front of the radiator. But they are easy enough to clean with a garden hose. And you could easily make a fairing out of some sheet metal, to go in front of the pan if clogging was really a problem.2cents

cucvrus

DSCF3814.jpgDSCF3815.jpgDSCF3813.jpg
(Internally cooled) The tubes run completely through the inside of the pan, and are essentially in a bath of trans fluid. Vs an external, remote, trans cooler. I can't imagine the tubes getting clogged that easy? Perhaps no worse then a trans cooler in front of the radiator. But they are easy enough to clean with a garden hose. And you could easily make a fairing out of some sheet metal, to go in front of the pan if clogging was really a problem.2cents
You ever see my skid plate? Tin / tubes on the under side. life expectancy minimum at best. I say highway driving only. The slightest oil leak and the crud will start packing the tubes. Nothing wrong with highway use but normal contractor off road. not worth the money. It will pack with mud and you will need a cannon swab to clean it out.

Drock

View attachment 704265View attachment 704266View attachment 704267

You ever see my skid plate? Tin / tubes on the under side. life expectancy minimum at best. I say highway driving only. The slightest oil leak and the crud will start packing the tubes. Nothing wrong with highway use but normal contractor off road. not worth the money. It will pack with mud and you will need a cannon swab to clean it out.
I don't see much mud packed in there:whistle: LOL! I think your thinking this pan hangs down low? But it doesn't, It's the same as the stock CUCV pan. So if your not smacking that one this one wouldn't either, and also it's slightly thicker steel then stock as well. I've run mine for around 20,000 miles so far with no problems:shrugs:

Bighorn

You had to install a vacuum transducer? That sucks.
Ac Delco and GM # 14057219
Ebay find.
It's that "thing a ma jig" attached to our injection pump that takes vacuum pump output, modifies it based on throttle position, and sends a vacuum signal to the modulator on the transmission.
Really made a big difference.
Shifts like a new truck.
Odd though..
Because I can't find anything wrong (on the vacuum test gauge) with the old one.
But no doubt, replacing that thing made a world of difference, in a positive direction where shifting is concerned.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks