• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1009 has died new curve ball thrown Updated

Salty dog

I rinsed out the fuel tank, looking in it appears to have a tan/brown lining. I really didn’t see any large debris. Trying right now to find a new sending unit is proving to be a challenge. LMC states that it back ordered, and can’t find it at my local auto parts store. I believe the tank is the 27 gallon model, can I upgrade to a 31 gallon and still use the factory skid plate? I am going to replace the lift pump as soon as I get the new one in hand.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate the advice, I am going to replace the fuel filter just to make sure. I had planned to do a spin off filter conversion but will wait to make sure the vehicle is running smooth.
I replaced the stock (box) fuel filter with a spin on. All my fuel problems went away. After sitting for two years, I had to move it. It took a few seconds longer to get started but all my fuel problems went away.

ezgn

I rinsed out the fuel tank, looking in it appears to have a tan/brown lining. I really didn’t see any large debris. Trying right now to find a new sending unit is proving to be a challenge. LMC states that it back ordered, and can’t find it at my local auto parts store. I believe the tank is the 27 gallon model, can I upgrade to a 31 gallon and still use the factory skid plate? I am going to replace the lift pump as soon as I get the new one in hand.
Here is one that works
https://a.co/3Mp4eUC

Last edited:

Salty dog

Well while I wait for parts to come in ( Was shipped the wrong sending unit twice ) I decided the skid plate need a little work. So I had it sandblasted, than primed and painted it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Salty dog

Where is your fuel tank skid plate?
I posted earlier that I had the skid plate sand blasted, primed and painted. I snapped the above pic and was about to install the skid plate when I realized that the bolts looked like crap, so I tossed them into the sand blast cabinet and painted them to match. When they are dry I will reinstall and post pics

87cr250r

Because you're going through the effort of blasting you should consider using an inorganic zinc primer as a first coat for best rust protection. I'm starting to see them available in rattle cans, I'll try to post a product number tomorrow.

Salty dog

Had a chance to get into the garage today and remove the lift pump, after developing Tourette’s I was able to remove the old pump. I have removed the mounting plate as well due to the pump rod being firmly wedged against it. I was getting all the parts laid out to install And ran into something interesting. I accidentally ordered two lift pumps and while they have the same part number one has a spring under the actuator arm. The old pump did not have the spring. Which pump would be recommended

Attachments