• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1009 has died new curve ball thrown Updated

cucvrus

The top fuel pump is incorrect. The spring over the lever and the slight curve in the lever make it incorrect. It will fit on the CUCV perfectly but the eccentric on the engine does not depress the lever far enough to get fuel delivery. If you hold this pump in your hand and depress the lever it has no resistance until deep into the depression cycle.

The fuel pump on the bottom is the correct one. Note the spring will be under the lever set back into the housing and the lever is short and straight. The resistance is immediate on lever compression and the pumping takes place within the first 3/4" - 1" of compression. I hope that helps.

I attached the correct one from Autozone. https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/fuel-pump/delphi-diesel-fuel-pump-chfp906/489890_0
1675639251554.png

Salty dog

The top fuel pump is incorrect. The spring over the lever and the slight curve in the lever make it incorrect. It will fit on the CUCV perfectly but the eccentric on the engine does not depress the lever far enough to get fuel delivery. If you hold this pump in your hand and depress the lever it has no resistance until deep into the depression cycle.

The fuel pump on the bottom is the correct one. Note the spring will be under the lever set back into the housing and the lever is short and straight. The resistance is immediate on lever compression and the pumping takes place within the first 3/4" - 1" of compression. I hope that helps.

I attached the correct one from Autozone. https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/fuel-pump/delphi-diesel-fuel-pump-chfp906/489890_0
View attachment 890355
I appreciate all the help

cucvrus

You can clearly see the difference. Does it have resistance immediately upon compression of the lever? I mean immediately. It must have that. The eccentric on the cam will not compress any farther to get the delayed resistance on the curved lever pumps. Good Luck. I stock 2 of the correct pumps because they had been difficult to find.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Do you guys recommend using RTV with the paper gaskets or just the paper gaskets by themselves? I am getting in the gym tomorrow to install the correct pump if my arthritis isn’t too bad
Everybody has an opinion, but a little RTV to hold the gasket in place while you put on whatever pan (valve cover, timing cover, water pump, etc) in position REALLY is a way to hold gaskets so they don't slip. At least that is my opinion...

shepherm

Do you guys recommend using RTV or just the paper gaskets ? I am getting in the garage tomorrow to install the correct pump if my arthritis isn’t too bad
Unless I'm trying to seal a hard corner I never use RTV anymore.. Its such a mess to clean up and there are a ton of better products out there for coating paper gaskets. For the paper gasket you can use something like Permatex "super 300" or "High tack"

87cr250r

Gaskets go on dry as much as possible. Coating gaskets causes gasket extrusion.

RTV and Anaerobic gasket makers are the best and most current options for form in place. All of the other stuff is obsolete at this point.

For the fuel pump, I used no gaskets, just anaerobic gasket maker. I don't suggest RTV because it's permeable and can seep oil if they're submerged. The bottom of the pump adapter plate pools oil and would be a poor candidate for a RTV.

Salty dog

Had some time to work on the lift pump, arthritis and a torn rotator cuff have kept me sidelined. Was able to get the pump bolted up but can not get the solid fuel line to connect. Any tips/ help would be appreciated

cucvrus

I have always removed the #2 alternator and laid it aside. I also remove the P clamp that holds the hard line to the block. It gives you a bit of wiggle room to get that flare nut started. I change the fuel pump from the top side and only go under to loosen and tighten the 2 M6 push rod cover bolts. That is my advise. I have changed many of these pumps. Good Luck.

nyoffroad

And I'd like to add, no one likes to cross thread stuff and cross threading the fuel line is a real PIA. So instead of just hoping you have it lined up and going to town with it try holding it in place and turning it backwards, YES backwards counterclockwise at least one full turn, do that slowly and many times you can feel the first thread drop into place, NOW you can go to town! Remember, righty tighty, lefty loosy!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks