• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1009, what to do...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So in reality, there are 3 kinds of shops that will touch this:

A. The redneck losers NDT mentioned. They'll (maybe) grind the rust away and fill the holes with bondo or all metal. Your paint job will self destruct within 6-12 months as all the rust they didn't fix will resurface.

B. The mid-grade shop. They will tell you to put rocker panels, partial floors, a new roof and probably some other stuff, because once you get into that thing, you're going to find a lot more corrosion.

C. The right kind of shop: The shop that has people who know what they're doing and care about their reputation will take one look at that body and tell you what I am going to tell you: That it's rusting away from the inside and the only way to stop it would be either to acid dip it or cut it apart so that you can sandblast the inside sections of the body.

Like this:

hazardous-recollections-dodge-charger.jpghazardous-recollections-dodge-charger-body-lift.jpg.jpghazardous-recollections-dodge-charger-body-metal.jpghazardous-recollections-dodge-charger-body-shell.jpghazardous-recollections-dodge-charger-lift.jpg.jpghazardous-recollections-dodge-charger-repair-work.jpg.jpghazardous-recollections-dodge-charger-shell.jpg

The pictures above came from this article and looking through it, I'd easily say this is $10K worth of work, probably more.

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/project-vehicles/1309-1969-dodge-charger-project-50-introduction/

I only have experience with "C" shops and it isn't cheap.

superbird.jpg
I have a friend who owns a shop like this: All they do is metalwork on high end classics-Plymouth Superbirds, Mercedes Gullwings, etc. They got a '70 440-6pack, 4speed, Dana60, Shaker hood Challenger a couple years ago. It was a numbers matching complete car with build sheets and everything, but a northern rustbucket. Frame rails, roof, cowl, floors, all gone. They mounted it to a frame bench and they have all the specs for the Chrysler E-body, they surgically removed (by drilling out the spot welds) all the sheetmetal that was bad and when they got down to where something was usable, they blasted it, then remounted it to the bench and put it back together like the factory would have, only better (I could tell you a lot about the factory bodies are out of spec, and get worse as you move up).

The car came to them pretty much diassembled. It was a $22K job. All they did was sheetmetal. No paint or primer. From them, it went to the paint shop.

Here's the problem: When the factories welded together the bodies of '69 Chargers and '85 Blazers, it was all bare, unpainted, sheetmetal. They welded it up and then dipped it in a solution that was supposed to help keep it from rusting. I don't know about GM but Chrysler didn't even dip the entire body-when you cut the body parts off a Mopar, you can see the dip line:

DSCN2182.jpggrade school august 2010 047.jpg

Even if GM dipped your Blazer all the way to the top (total submersion), you should remember something: All they were after was the body not to rust out before it got out of warranty.

So all that bare metal sheetmetal (and the aforementioned dip was nearly useless, take it from me) is just rusting away, from the very first night that the vehicle sat outside and dew formed.

So the entire inside of the roof looks like the picture you took of the hole. It just hasn't rusted all the way out. Go take a small flashlight and look inside.

Same with the rockers. Everything that you can't see looks like that.

So unless you want to literally take the body apart, sandblast it and then weld it back together (after properly treating it of course), then you can patch all that stuff and 6-12 months later, the corrosion will bubble through 6" from where you did all that work to patch it.

And I know what a lot of people are thinking: "Well Clint, this isn't a quarter million dollar Hemi 'Cuda, it isn't worth doing all that work". Well, I can't deny that but the reality is that the rust doesn't care what the dollar value is of the metal it's attacking. It wants to eat sheetmetal and it doesn't care if it's a Ferrari 250GTO or an old Chevy Blazer.

So if you want to resurrect that Blazer, I'd take a bit to decide what you want and what you're prepared for.

If I was really hung up on that particular model, I'd spend the money and buy a body from the deserts of Arizona New Mexico, etc. and swap the body. If that is undoable for whatever reason, then buy a collection of drill bits designed to drill through spot welds and start taking the body apart and fix it the right way, once. There will be a lot of drilling, a lot of sandblasting, a lot of paint and primer and sealer and a lot of welding/bending/fabricating.

If that's not worth it, buy another one with a better body and make one good truck out of the two.

ke5eua

The 818 and trailer went to someone that could benefit more if he wants to part it out or fix it up and sell it.

I thank you all for your input. I might look for a good body out west. Question is to look for a 1009 body or a straight blazer body. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

richingalveston

I highly agree with the body swap approach for this vehicle. If it were me I would pull the body off and spend my time on the frame and drive train while you shop for a body. The one you have is to far gone in my opinion.

You can keep the body for some practice if you want prior to scrapping. You may be able to cut out some of the non purchasable parts, sand and prime them for resale to get some extra $ out of what you have left.

Add up every body part you can possibly buy (you will probably have to buy them all) and compare it to a rust free tub.

I did the body on my truck first, I have not done the frame, yet. I plan to get the build and testing done then pull the body and do the underside and frame after I get the modified drive train and suspension like I want it.

Sounds like you are wanting to build your truck, the truck you will probably have forever. Don't spend a thousand hours fixing that, spend the thousand hours building it right.... The money will probably be about the same.

rich

ke5eua

Found a k5 in AZ, texted the guy. He only wants 999 for it, non runner which is perfect for my needs.

Took the dash pad off and guages out. Dash looks pretty good. One question though, this was tapped up and it looks like it has a diode in it. What does it go to and is it supposed to have a diode in it? It had duck tape on it which is why I'm asking if it needs the diode.

View attachment 569723View attachment 569724

View attachment 569719View attachment 569720View attachment 569721View attachment 569722View attachment 569725View attachment 569726View attachment 569727

dmetalmiki

That looks one way big demanding task. With all the time effort and money to put into it, does that not equate to just buy a complete clean, finished working example?

ke5eua

Looked through the sticky and figured out the plug.

Still deciding on what exactly to do. If it was up to the wife I would get rid of the cucv and but a dodge 2500. I don't know exactly she figured that would be more cost effective. I'm going to crawl under it tomorrow when I get back from the DMV and look at the major items underneath it and access the rust situation from there. I took my bore scope and looked at the inside of the roof and noticed surface rust.

m109a2

Hey Ke5eua many years ago I restored a early civilian blazer what a nightmare.How does it go you only see 10% of a iceberg in my case that seem to be true with rust Lol.It looked great when your standing up,When I climbed under it with a chipping hammer wow very not good it turned into a body off.That Bitc! took a large chunk of my time and my billfold.I would get under her with a very fine tooth comb.Al

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As you found out that diode is for the GEN2 exciter circuit. It is a required item.

I think I have the twin to your truck. I call her Rusty.

The truck came from the Chicago area and I can watch the rust grow daily. Actually yours looks a little better. ;-)

Last edited:

ke5eua

So the perfect candidate I found on craigslist was already sold, bummer.

I however have decided what to do after a few days of sitting down thinking about it. Right now I'm going to patch her up and focus on the frame and drive train getting that in tip top shape. I will then go in one of two directions, both being a body swap.

1. Save up and replace the entire body with a fiberglass reproduction from http://www.usbody.com/Pages_Trucks/73-Chevy.htm

2. Search for a good donor from the west coast, preferably a non runner with factory a/c.

It would have been great to get the one off craigslist for the 1k price but I was to late. I look at it this way, anything I put in the cab can be moved between cabs, it's all about the frame and drive train. Keep that original and I'm good to go. Vin plates can be moved between cabs to keep continuity.

Thanks to everybody for their incite and suggestions.

I did learn something new however. You can't start the truck with the dash unplugged. Going to have to go through the schematics to see whats up with that. It took me a minute to figure out why it wouldn't start yesterday, fired right up as soon as I plugged the dash back in. I know it can't have anything to do with the bulbs on the gen 1 or 2 as I had all the bulbs out. Different that's for sure.

painter paul

Please realize that changing Vin plates is a very serious Federal crime(how do you think car thieves are able to sell stolen vehicles). Your Blazer will be subject to seizure and impoundment and you could go to jail. A guy near here used to rebuild vw bugs and change the plates and make them "newer". One day the feds showed up and............. The vw had just a screw attaching the plates. Your Blazer uses a specific rivet that is not commercially available. Put a screw or different rivet in there, have someone knowledgeable inspect it and your Blazer is the subject of a Federal investigation!!

85CUCVtom

Please realize that changing Vin plates is a very serious Federal crime(how do you think car thieves are able to sell stolen vehicles). Your Blazer will be subject to seizure and impoundment and you could go to jail. A guy near here used to rebuild vw bugs and change the plates and make them "newer". One day the feds showed up and............. The vw had just a screw attaching the plates. Your Blazer uses a specific rivet that is not commercially available. Put a screw or different rivet in there, have someone knowledgeable inspect it and your Blazer is the subject of a Federal investigation!!
I realize laws vary from state to state but how would someone handle swapping a body from one truck to another?

ke5eua

I understand the implications of just changing vin plates. That is why I will have the state police handle the vin in that regards.

Also, the door plate is just regular rivets, it's the dash plate that uses the special ones, again where the state police comes in.

In regards to the talk of a body swap, in some regards that can be illegal as the body vin and frame vin would be different.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks