• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1010 Now on 37's w/ no lift! (Pics!)

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some pictures of my M1010 sitting on 37's. I've been driving it (mostly street) for about 2 months on the hummer tires. I had to trim the fenders decently to make it work without any lift, but I was able to keep the inner fenderwells. I also had to adjust the steering stop so that my tire wouldn't rub the drag link during a right-hand turn.

I'm not flexing the crap out of it, but I haven't had any rubbing issues. I didn't want to lift it as I already have a pretty high center of gravity.

Thanks!

Attachments

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both front and rear fenders had to be trimmed a fair amount. I went about as far as you can go without losing the inner fenders (wheelwells). I also pinched the lips on the upper fender lip to give the tires room to move up into the wheelwell without catching. Unfortunately, the fender looks worse from doing it.

The bumpstop on my front axle is only about 1" to 2" above the axle, so uptravel isn't much of an issue. I'm pretty sure I'll hit the bumpstops before I rub in the front (plus my sway bar keeps flex mostly out of the picture). I'm not so sure about the rear.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spacers for what? The wheels? These are aluminum wheels, NOT hmmwv wheels. They have 4.5" backspacing, so no spacers needed.

No spring spacers or anything like that. Suspension is at stock height. I think a 2" lift is all I would need if I wanted to really off-road it. For street driving and mild wheeling it's fine as is. My idea of "mild" wheeling is just whatever is needed to get to the campsite, or driving unimproved roads (big potholes, ruts, mud, that kind of thing). I'll leave rock crawling alone.

prairie

Looks pretty good, but a small lift (like you said 2") would look about perfect on it.
I did a cheap 2" lift and 35" tires on mine.
A 1" ORD Body lift & polyurethane body mounts, 1" ORD Zero Rate with the axle moved forward 1", and Treadwright 315/70R17 GUARD DOG M/T tires.

One Inch 1-inch Body Lift Aluminum Pucks from ORD Fullsize 4x4 Parts

Body Mounts Chevy GM Polyurethane from Offroad Design 4x4 Parts

Add a Leafs, Zero Rate for 4x4 Suspensions from Offroad Design

https://www.treadwright.com/p-79-315-70r17-guard-dog-m-t-d.aspx

or check out ORD's complete 2" lift system

ORD Complete 4x4 Lift Systems & Kits - GM Chevy Leaf Springs

EF-5

No lift and No rub. Even took it offroading and didn't scrub. I just bought new wheels though, and the steel spacers I have in the front are going in the rear so I don't feel like I wasted my money lol.

Attachments

EF-5

I can't really notice a difference in ride over stock tires. It doesn't ride bad at all though, except at about 60mph it tends to vibrate some. I think that has to do with the run flats. I'm fixing that this weekend hopefully. Handling is great, and being able to drive the same speed as everyone else and even passing them is great.

I want to put a lift on it simply for the reason of replacing my stock shocks, and so when I put a 5.9 Cummins in it won't bottom out on the front axle.

Bigger tires is an easy way of getting better road speed. I didn't loose any acceleration either.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been fighting vibration on my 37's. I'm running RV antifreeze (12oz each) inside them as an effort to balance them, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

All my spring bushings and probably kingpin bushings are shot. I'm hoping that fixing these things will help me lower the vibrations. I haven't had any issues with tracking or general handling other than the balance issue. I have new shocks and steering already.

EF-5

Yeah I replaced the kingpin springs and bushings along with a MOOG steering stabilizer. It eliminated my death wobble I still have vibration at 60mph. It doesn't happen all of the time, but occasionally.

Tomorrow I am swapping my wheels out, and removing my run flats. The wheels are 16.5" aluminum wheels. I suspect the run flat has something to do with my vibration. I'll let you guys know probably Saturday or Sunday if the vibration leaves.

I had all my wheels balanced, but even on the machine, after they were balanced, they wobbled side to side at 60mph. My wheels could have bent. All four of them did, so I suspect the run flat as the main culprit.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My paint is Rustoleum Professional Satin Black. It was reduced and sprayed with an automotive paint gun. It was painted outside, so it only turned out OK. If painted inside it would have turned out a lot better. Touch-up, however, is really easy with a spray can!

bpcole - Are you running those tires on your stock rims? How wide are the tires?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks