• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M101A3...new to MV

ptrjason

Thank you both for the links. I may go with an electric one, but still undecided. And I just checked the HF link, it is 29, but marked down to 14. But If I get that, I will have to get a compressor and whatever else is needed, like a regulator and stuff.

Anyone know off the top of their head what the PSI is in the HMMVW/M101A3 tires are? If I end up getting a compressor I want to get one with enough PSI to enable me to fill those tires. Might as well kill two birds with one stone, and get something I can use for MV, and anything else I may need it for. If it is standard like 35-70 PSI, then I can get a smaller compressor, but they are still 150-200.00.

ptrjason

Baldy, I saw the post but didnt have a chance to reply. I do not consder it a hijack, and I am curious as well. This is my first trailer and first military vehicle. I think the jacks lift towards the rear and lock into towing position with a spring loaded claw, if you will.

This is what I got from reading the TM as well as when looking at parts on eBay they have stands listed so you can get an idea.

I am just curious if I can get one from GL oif mine turns up missing and it shows on the pics that it clearly hand one.

Yep, that's what I was worried about as well. but after reading all the threads in the GL area, I am more confident that you will be fine.
Looks like there are enough of them out there, that if your handle is gone it might be replaceable.

I agree, after looking at lots of pics, it looks like the landing leg will retract.
Worse comes to worst, you can transport it home and figure out a handle later.

I am seriously considering moving on one of these now.
Thanks ptrjason

ptrjason

I mean, they look like awesome trailers, and price is cheap, and u can find cheaper as well. You can not even get a little trailer kit from home depot form that price, and you have to build those, and they will not hold nearly as much.

I just have never welded, nor painted before so I wanted a good trailer that was not dented up, or looked like it had rust on it. But I do plan on repairing it at some point.

Only downside is that I think I have spent more on getting stuff to be able to make the recovery, then I did on the trailer, but that stuff can be reused on other trailers down the road, so it is more of an investment. I am talking about things like the pintle mount, the pintle/ball combo, a trailer 4-pin wire, bulbs, etc. Okay maybe its about half of the cost so far, but I am still going to have to get the 60.00 Form 97 for the title and then probably pay 14-19 bucks for a VIN inspection to tell me they can not find one or it does not have one, then have to pay another 20.00 for the 5-year registration.

I am not complaining at all, only because it is all little by little that I have to pay for stuff, so it is not a huge chunk that is paid at once.

I just feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to come, when you already know what your getting, but you can't play with it yet.

Having an excuse to learn how to weld and paint and all the other crap that comes along with old surplus is most of the fun.

My m1009 is really just an excuse to buy all the tools (toys) that i need to keep it running.
"That spare tire really needs to be on the top, oh well guess i need a welder." HA!

but that stuff can be reused on other trailers down the road, so it is more of an investment. I am talking about things like the pintle mount, the pintle/ball combo,
But if you ever decide to change the hitch on the trailer to a ball, you know where to post your pintle mount and combo hitch for sale.

ptrjason

Yup, I am finding those excuses to be true. I am already looking at welders and watching videos on how to weld. The only experience I have close to welding is using a cutting torch when I was like 12 with my dad to take down an old fence of a hog pen.

I plan on getting a welder in about two-three months from now.

As far as seeking the pintle, I doubt it haha. I bought one with a ball on it so I can tow civy trailers too. Plus I want more trailers down the road.

**** I am even looking at a Zodiac boat that is in Barstow. I only plan on bidding a few hundred, can't afford much more then that. It has an outboard, so I can keep it as a project. I know I won't get it, but hey won't hurt to try. Oh and it has a pintle too.

ptrjason

Well it was partly Christmas for me today. I got a few packages from USPS and FedEx.

I got my pintle hitch/ball combo.
I got my 12 volt bulbs, as well as bullet connectors. I ordered 50 pairs of mail and female connectors, if I add lights to the trailer I rather plug and play and not splice.
I also got a 3/8x5.5 inch long trailer hitch pin, for like atvs and stuff, but I plan to use it if I need to lock out the brakes. If it will even work. If not I will grab a bolt. But I like this idea and look better.

Tomorrow should come my coil 4-pin trailer wire, and my cushioned pintle riser mount.

Attachments

Yep, that's what I was worried about as well. but after reading all the threads in the GL area, I am more confident that you will be fine.
Looks like there are enough of them out there, that if your handle is gone it might be replaceable.

I agree, after looking at lots of pics, it looks like the landing leg will retract.
Worse comes to worst, you can transport it home and figure out a handle later.

I am seriously considering moving on one of these now.
Thanks ptrjason

The front landing led is held vertically by a spring loaded pin. You pull the pin and rotate the leg towards the back and it locks into place parallel to the A frame.

Yours doesn't have the rear landing leg.

The trailer pin you got will lock out the brakes. Small hole in the surge brake,

Don't forget the bolts to mount your pintle to riser. Grade 8 bolts.

Last edited:

ptrjason

The bolts came with the hitch, grade 8 :)

And thank you for the info for the leg, some I saw were listed as rear, some as front, but looked exactly the same, but I figured they were rear legs.

And I got the hitch pin just for the brake lockout. Figured it would look cleaner then a bolt too, as well as cheaper. Was only around 5 bucks, free shipping. I figured it would be cheaper then driving to a Lowes, looking for the right bolt, then finding 15 other things, "I could always use." Then driving back home, the gas along would probably be 5 bucks.

ptrjason

Woke up today to find two packages at my door. I am half asleep right now, but decided to open my presents.

I got my riser bar, a 5-hole cushioned mount. Which I put the pintle on and put it on my truck. The height is around 23 1/2 - 23 3/4. So it looks like it is going to be a perfect fit on my expedition.

As I said before, I went with that cushioned riser because the back support plate is welded to the shank, and welded to the entire length of the plate. Not like some others where it has two inches welded on the shank and two inches welded on the plate. I also wanted the cushioned because my Expedition is my daily driver and is not a heavy duty truck. So basically I wanted that false feeling of security hoping it will be easier on my truck and its drive shaft with any jolts the pintles normally have.

I also got my 8 foot trailer wire. Yeah I could have got a cheap wire kit and been done with it, but I wanted something a little heavy duty and figured I would buy it anyway, so why waste money on both. It is a Wesbar 4-pole flat connector with jacketed cable. With truck connector on one end and 4-wires on the other, that I plan on use the bullet connectors on and have a plug and play harness.

Attachments

ptrjason

If the leg isn't locked by the pin it can list forward or towards the back.

Put a pic up of the cushioned pintle riser mount, never seen one.
I am also going to try to bring a tie down strap and use that to hold the leg up in worst case. So I am hoping that it will lock in.

I was told it was a 3/8 x 4 inch bolt. So I bought a 3/8 x 5.5 hitch pin.

And I was already ahead of you, as you asked for the pic, I was already writing everything up, but you beat me to it.

Last edited:
As I said before, I went with that cushioned riser because the back support plate is welded to the shank, and welded to the entire length of the plate. Not like some others where it has two inches welded on the shank and two inches welded on the plate. I also wanted the cushioned because my Expedition is my daily driver and is not a heavy duty truck. So basically I wanted that false feeling of security hoping it will be easier on my truck and its drive shaft with any jolts the pintles normally have.
Ah, your truck is heavy duty enough and won't fall apar...Wait, you said it's a Ford, good buy.:doghead:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks