• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M101A3...new to MV

ptrjason

Called GL again early this morning. Found out what they meant by Thursday loadout in the description. Items can be picked up any time between 0730-xxxx.

I missed the closing time, the GLs cell phone was kinda scratchy and she seemed a little busy/bothered. She said it twice, and it was messed up both times, didn't want to chance a third time.

So tomorrow I plan on going up at 0800 and getting my trailer finally. :D

I made a last minute 0230 run to wally world last night and got some quick links, towing chains, some #2 Blue grease, a grease gun(the one I have is old and has who know what left in it), and some other little things like a phone charger since mine broke, my batt life sucks and I want to take photos of the recovery.

I was hoping to call today and get it, but now I will have time to get some DOT-5 SBF, since wally world only had 3 and 4.

In the end I spent more on accessories, hitch, mount, tail likes, wiring and parts then I did on the trailer, probably double. But I can reuse 95% of it for future recoveries, and I rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

I plan on packing a box with everything I am going to take so it will be good to go, cleaning out my truck and getting all my work stuff out like gear bags, and holsters. I plan on making it an official recovery kit, to bring with next time.

Any else picking up from Barstow tomorrow?

ptrjason

If u want, do u want to convoy up there? I will leave earlier then I planned, no problem. I will be coming up the 215 anyway. I was told that Peggy Sue's Diner is really good and right off post up there, maybe after we get the trailers, go for breakfast?

I have work at 1900 Thurs so that is why I want a morning run.

H3tM101

Recovered an A1 out of Barstow today, tomorrow will also be headed out of Temecula in am to be there at 08. Black H3T. No probs today, towed easy, no heat. Route 215 to 15 to 40.

ptrjason

Me and Murdock are going to meet in Riverside around 0600 and head up there, want to tag along?

And you were able to get one today? Are certain trailer loadouts on different days? I told her I wanted to make an appt for pick up of a M101A3 and she said that the days are Thursdays.

I dont normally post my number, but if anyone else will be going up there, 951-445-9377 TEXT me.

ptrjason

And H3T you will be going right past me. I am off of Scott Road, in Menifee off the 215. Ill be in a White Ford Expedition, small American Flag stick on rear window, and a black radio antenna on roof.

Last edited:

ptrjason

Yes it was. Almost all of the trailers there had them. It tows like a dream can't even tell its there. Just one tire has a screw in it and is also wearing on the outside. But other then that towed it to the pilot about 10-15 miles. Checked axle and hubs. They are freezing cold to the touch.

Back on the road again now. Just doing to stop at an auto zone and get some DOT5.

I also previewed a lot I am high bidder on that ends today so I have my fingers crossed. Saw some neat old tanks and huge amphibian landing craft that are just rotting. And hundreds and hundreds of HMMWVs

ptrjason

I'm home. Short trip was an all day event. And I have work tonight at 1900.

H3T I saw you there when I pulled up to the trailer, but when I looked back up you were gone, and he took you to your trailer.

Andy again it was a pleasure meeting you.

Ken, I got the decals in the mail today when I got home, they look awesome.

I also got a letter from the logistics place saying I was assessed lol.

All it all it was a good day, but NO ONE on Barstow knows where to go. Then they tell us to go one place and get sent another way. Oh well.

ptrjason

No didn't lock them. Tried but couldn't get the pin in. Half way through it would point down and I could not get it straight.

Fluid was bone dry but put some in, but no locking up or anything like that. When I got home and backed it up. I felt it lock the brakes when a wheel hit a bump. So I know they work.

And no. I was trying to get one of the covered trailers, previewed them, but it went double my price range. But I was high bidder for a day or two.

ptrjason

Yup. I plan on starting to work on it next week on my days. It seems like it will be easier then I thought it was going to be to bleed them.

ptrjason

So went out to look over the trailer today. No data plate on the tongue any more, rivits are there, but no plate, the lift data plate is hardly able to be read, and the data plates on the cargo box are just sheets of metal now. But I already knew it was going to be that way.

They did have a piece of paper in a plastic bag zip tied to the front, it is a "Processing and Deprocessing Record - For Shipment, Storage, and Issue of Vehicles and Spare Engines."

It looks like it was reworked in in the end of 2009 or 01/2010 at MCLB Ablany GA, then shipped to MCLB Barstow around 05/2010. It looks like it sat there the entire time.

There is a date of 2004 on the tongue, which looks like that is maybe when it was made?

Questions - One of the tires is balding on the outside only, if there anyway to adjust that? Or just get a tire or something for when it finally goes?

I will post some photos of lables and stuff I found on the trailer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My guess is that the bad tire was swapped onto your trailer by some enterprising young jarhead looking to better his assigned HMMWV. Wonder if their T/O&E limited tire requisitions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks