• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M101A3...new to MV

ptrjason

My guess is that the bad tire was swapped onto your trailer by some enterprising young jarhead looking to better his assigned HMMWV. Wonder if their T/O&E limited tire requisitions.

Didnt think of that. I am going to try swapping the tires, and maybe in a few years when I put enough miles on the trailer to show wear I can tell if the good tire is wearing as well. lol All in all I love the trailer, can not find really any rust on it at all.

patrickg

Just finnished reading your thread and I have a couple questions. About how long did it take your EUC to get approved. I won two trailers on the 10th and my EUC went to battle creek on the 16th. So I'm a little excited and can't wait to get mine. I think I bid on one in your auction but I didnt get one. Thanks and looks good behind your truck.

ptrjason

Just finnished reading your thread and I have a couple questions. About how long did it take your EUC to get approved. I won two trailers on the 10th and my EUC went to battle creek on the 16th. So I'm a little excited and can't wait to get mine. I think I bid on one in your auction but I didnt get one. Thanks and looks good behind your truck.

Submission of EUC Pending12/27/2012
EUC revisions requested from Customer12/28/2012
EUC sent to Battle Creek01/02/2013
Customer Notified01/15/2013

That is my status. So roughly about 3 weeks. Mind you I also had a revision, and when I sent it back it was a Saturday, then, which led into a three day weeked because of New Years. So you have to figure, only counting actual working days, probably two weeks.

We are not to far away, nice to see another newbie from the IE on here.

ptrjason

I did order a mount for a 7-way truck plug, that I am HOPING will fit the military truck plug, and I also ordered a cover or the plug. I am just trying to decide where I would to mount it, to the truck, or to the pintle mount like some do.

Well I tried to go bleed the brakes today with the stuff I had around the house, didnt have a right size hose so next week I will have to go get a kit. Not a big deal, dont plan on using the trailer any time soon.

I also ordered the TM from the bay, I figured I can print the PDF and waste all of my ink and then have to spend about 60 bucks in more ink, and 10 bucks in more paper, and then I have to way to bound 415+ pages, except to take it to Kinkos or Staples or something. So 17 bucks is worth it for a printed and bound manual.

I also just bought a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Tablet, so I plan on using that for manuals and everything else, including revoceries and surfing the net, instead of my heavy Motorola Laptop.

ptrjason

Looks good. Did you leave the nato plug or did you get an adapter.
I made an adapter for the recovery. All I did was unplug the NATO plug at the junction box and used bullet connectors (which dont fit, but had to crimp them to make them fit snug) to plug in a 4-flat plug to fit on my truck.

It was a few extra min of work, but I would like to keep the wiring change to a min.

So what I did for ease of towing, and other other future buys, was get the vehicle end, and a generic truck end for a 7-flat/round plug to mount on a vehicle. That way I do not have to change any wiring at all, just switch to bulbs and go.

The military plug fits in the round mount perfect as shown, just the mounting holes do not match up, which can be fixed, but it will look better then trying to rig something up to go on my truck and having it not work, or look good. The mount will look OEM.

I plan on upgrading my 4-pin to a 7 flat and 4 pin plug, so I am not limited to one type of trailer, and will slice in the military plug on the other side of my hitch so I should have all the plugs covered.

I have not really done anything to the trailer yet, out of funds and time for right now. And just waiting on the SF97 to come in the mail.

I also have two LED oval STT lights from my horse trailer switch out 5 or 6 years ago, so I want to use those never used LEDs and mount them to a piece of wood, as well as magnets, and wire them to a 4 flat plug. Figured it would be be cheaper to make my own magnetic lights then it would be to buy some that no one can see when you are behind them. Plan is to make them so they can be dropped into a steakbed slot for the rails/bows or if those are not avaiable or on the item being towed, to be mounted with the magnets. I have the lights, might as well put them to use.

Some ideas for those with magnetic lights. If your lights have lenses on both sides, COVER one side with tape. Your not using that side anyway, and it will keep the sunlight from shining in and washing out the bulbs, making the lights dim and unsafe. The amber on one side, red on the other is for use overseas. You do not need the amber side, and it really only makes the lights half work, but having a lens on both side, there is no spot for a reflector, reducing the output.

I woukd take some chrome paint or silver paint and paint the inside of the amber or one side to act a reflector. If you want tape of a strip or square, so it will allow a little light to be seen from that side.

Just an observation from following one buyer out of the lot, they had Idaho plates, and I could hardly tell their lights were working. It was really sunny, and looked like someone was shining a flash light through one side and out the other. The brake lights and turns when on, looked like lights do before the battery dies.

patrickg

So do you need a sf97 to register the trailer in CA. I have seen both and I have a dmv appointment for the 6th to register mine and I will be picking them up on the 14th.

ptrjason

I heard you do and you don't. It all depends on the clerk you get at the window. I wanted it more for a paper trail and souvenir more then anything.

But the trailers do not have VIN numbers, and so you will need to have them look at the trailer before they will do anything. The trailers coming out of Barstow do not have data plates, so there will be nothing on the trailer in ways of VINs. I put my Vin down on the SF97 request as the one the USMC used for its ID. But it is not stamped on the trailer, only printed, and so I know it will not fly for the DMV, and if it does not have a VIN, and they will issue one that you have to stick on it.

One option I may go for, and is to see if I can have a metal plate made up with the VIN number on it and rivet it to the trailer and also stamp it in a few places. I that way it will match all of the paperwork that I have from GL, and and what is listed at the VIN on the SF97, the bill of sale and the SF97 transfer to me.

Again I ordered the SF97 and where it asked for a VIN I put the USMC number on the trailer in that spot, but so my SF97 was sent with THAT number. You can leave it blank probably.

Regardless of what the paperwork says for the VIN, and if they do not like it, they will issue you one at the window. And that will be your new VIN.

Augi

The two trailers I got in Barstow both had data plates on the beds. The plates on the tongue were removed. The serial number on each plate matched the numbers painted on the side under "USMC". They both also have 1997 delivery dates.

When I brought them down to the DMV they "verified the vin". The lady looked over the data plates and gave me sheets of paper that basically said the serial number was the vin. She did want to see the vin in two places because there was no safety sticker or something.

I took those inside and filled out registration forms. Then they asked for $20 and a form 97. I didn't have one so they said to go get one and come back to finish the paperwork. They gave me a two month temporary tag for each trailer. I've ordered the sf97 and now I'm waiting for it to arrive.

Looking back at it, I went in telling them the trailers were surplus. I might have just been able to fill out a PTI trailer form and claim no previous owner or something if I wanted to try and be sneaky.

Augi

MarcusOReallyus

Just an observation from following one buyer out of the lot, they had Idaho plates, and I could hardly tell their lights were working. It was really sunny, and looked like someone was shining a flash light through one side and out the other. The brake lights and turns when on, looked like lights do before the battery dies.

They probably didn't change out the bulbs to 12v, so they were very dim. The 24s will glow with 12v, they just won't be very bright.

They're kinda like Congressmen. :mrgreen:

ptrjason

No they were using magnetic lights. I was suggesting to others to block one side of the lights so sun light does not wash them out.

ptrjason

I am wondering if I will even need a VIN verification on my trailer. I put the USMC number as the VIN so when they made the SF97, they used that number. So the SF97 listing GL as the buyer from the government, then the bill of sale from GL to me all list the USMC number I gave as the VIN.

In the past, and I have never had to have a VIN checked on something that already had VIN numbers on the paperwork or titles. They just look to make sure the paperwork you have matches what you want and give you the plates. If the paperwork did not list a VIN then I would need to get a verification.

I am going to try to just get by that way, and if it works, and I will just buy a stamp with my numbers and stamp the VIN in a few different places after the fact. If not, then I will just have them verify it then and there, and and get a new VIN issued. I just hope they let me stick it on at home so I can repaint the trailer, and apply the VIN to a fresh area.

patrickg

Any updates on registering your trailer. I just picked mine up yesterday and I have a dmv appointment for the 6th of March. I dont think I have time to get a SF97 form.

ptrjason

No I have not had the time to mess with it since in have got it.

Been a little busy with all the events down here.

Did a Vegas trip for a test on Monday night, skipped the test, ran errands Tuesday, drove back to Riverside Tuesday night with my buddy, went to the funeral for Riverside Police Officer Crain on Wednesday, then drove back to Vegas Wednesday night, and back to Riverside the same night/Thursday morning, then worked Thursday morning.

I would just skip the appt and when you get the SF97 go down then.

You can go the Maine route, BUT they are A LOT more expensive for 5-year registration, 99.00 where California is 20.00 for 5-years.

And California only allows 10 days for out of state registration for residents, and a MV stands out like a sore thumb. If they run the Maine plate, and it comes back to a California address, you can risk some hefty citations. Also your CA DL shows when it was issued, so you can not play the I just moved here game.

Just spend the extra time and effort and save yourself a lot of hassle in the long run.

Just wait for the forms, go to the DMV and get a VIN verification on the trailer, and then they will probably slap a blue sticker VIN on it and give you your plates.

I am not using the trailer at all right now so I am not really worried about it, have too much going on and need brakes on my truck and all that. Too much stuff, not enough time or money.

Augi

I got plates for both my trailers a couple of days ago from the CA DMV. When GovLiq sends you the SF97 they also send a packet of of other stuff. The DMV wanted the SF97 and the bill of sale. It also shows tax was paid so you don't pay twice.

So from beginning to end here's what happened:

I brought the trailers into the DMV and they "verified the VIN".

A woman came outside and looked at the serial number plates. She used the serial numbers for the VINs. The plates also had a delivery date, so she used that for the model year. Being later models (1997), she also looked for some safety sticker, which was absent (duh). Since there was no safety sticker they required the VIN to be in two places on the trailer. For the second location she used the stenciled serial number on the side under the USMC stencil (this happened to match the data plate serial).

If your trailer has no data plate, it sounds like maybe they issue you a VIN. I don't know what happens if you only have the serial in one place.

Next I went inside to the counter and paid my $20. They gave me a temporary operating permit and told me to come back with a SF97.

A couple weeks later I returned with the SF97 packet and they gave me real plates.

It sounds like the only other way to do this in CA without the SF97 is to claim you built the trailer and see if they buy it. I think maybe you can do a private sale of a trailer with no paperwork and have the owner sign over ownership to you on this green form the DMV has. I wouldn't count on that working though.

Augi

ptrjason

Sorry for the delay in updating everything. Work has been busy, and I applied for a Sheriff's Dept. In central Nevada back in Oct. Heard back from them last month. Interviewed last week and I start next week as a resident deputy. I'll be assigned to a town, live in sheriff's housing, and I am issued two patrol vehicles. A crown vic, and a jeep Cherokee for the mountains.

The county i will be in is 3600 Sq miles, with a grand total of about 800 people in the entire county. Not one stop light in the entire county.

So what i am probably going to do is I am moving up this weekend. But will be pulling a u haul trailer since it will hold more. But when I bring up my trailer, i will probably just drive it up, or get a temp permit and then just register it in Nevada.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks