• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M105 / M116A3 hybrid - with an unexpected twist

number9

So, I had a M116A3 chassis that I wasn't really using for anything and a couple of M105's that I don't use since selling the M35 that I pulled them with. I needed a "farm trailer" to pull behind my tractor and decided to take the bed off the M105 and put on the M116A3 chassis.

Here's the M105 being stripped down. I was supprised that all the bolts holding the bed on the frame came out really easy.

01_zps5dc1383c.jpg

And here's the M116A3, that was only being used to hold an old paddle boat that was on the property when we bought it.

02_zps5284744d.jpg

First I had to take the M116 outside and get the paddle boat off and out of the way.

8aeb35c6-c8a3-477d-bb1f-69c075c1363f_zps9f9b9c85.jpg

So with the boat off, it was time to put both trailers into position for the swap.

06_zps1198b2bc.jpg

Last edited:

number9

Lifting the bed off the M105

IMG_7420__.jpg

Action shot from the cab.

08_zps8f61a4ba.jpg

Lowering the bed down on the M116

IMG_7426__.jpg

Once the bed was down on the frame I thought it looked pretty good.

IMG_7427__.jpg

All the mounting points for the M105 bed sit well inside the M116 frame and happen to fall between the cross beams of the frame as well. The front mounts hit on top of the front of the frame, but that will be an easy fix.

IMG_7431__.jpg

So with the bed down on the frame, I pulled it into the shop and got to work on it.
First thing was to pull the bed all the way forward until the rear mounts on the underside of the bed butted up against the rear of the M116 frame.

15_zps4c722bdd.jpg

Then I raised the bed with the tractor so I could mark where the front mounts needed some trimming.

12-1_zps3407ad6b.jpg

13_zpse1a48f34.jpg

Last edited:

number9

Couple minutes with an angle grinder and cutoff wheel got the front mounts in shape to allow the bed to sit down flush on the frame.

14_zpsd39563c2.jpg

I cut some pieces of 2" angle iron and welded the front and rear bed mounts to the frame.
I'll add some more at the middle of the bed later, I just had to get it good enough to haul a load to the dump the next morning.

17_zps0c1b52c3.jpg

16_zpsf8227cbe.jpg

And here it is all buttoned up. I was VERY pleased with how it turned out. Looks way better than I thought it would.
After taking this pic I pulled it outside and used the backhoe and a chain to remove that side board. It was jammed in there real good and actually picked that side of the trailer clean off the ground before it came loose. So, I know the welds are holding good.

18_zps6261c480.jpg

Attachments

number9

Now, here's where it gets good.

The next morning me and the boys hauled the load of junk to the dump and the trailer did great.

When we got home I was trying to find the hole in the surge brake to put the pin for backing up. I couldn't find the hole in the inner piece of the tongue. So, I backed the trailer to the edge of the driveway and lowered the 3 point hitch on the tractor and set the trailer on it's landing gear. I was going to try to move the pintle by hand and look for that dang hole the pin goes through. I got off the tractor and opened the top of the pintle hitch and got back on, lowered it a little and pulled out from under the trailer.

Well, the pintle hitch was about 1/2" too high and just kissed the pintle ring on the trailer as the tractor pulled out from under it. This was *just* enough to raise the landing gear off the ground and let the trailer start rolling backwards.......and boy did it roll. Right off the edge of the driveway and down the hill headed toward the pond!!! :shock:

I jumped off the tractor but it was too late, and there was nothing I could do to stop it anyway but just stand and watch it. It was picking up speed and done a perfect U-turn and headed back up the hill backwards. Just when I thought "GOOD, the landing gear will dig in and stop it".....NOPE!!!!! When it stopped backing up the hill, it took off forward and right out in the **** pond!!!!!!

pond1.jpg

It was floating and I was running around looking for a chain and wondering how in the heck I was going to get to it and get it out before it sunk. It was taking on water in the drain holes and I knew it wouldn't be too long before it went under. We've only owned the property for a couple months and I had no idea how deep the pond was. Luckily it wasn't as deep as I feared it was. When it stopped sinking I could still see the top of the bedsides about 6" or so under water.

We got chains and pulled the old pontoon dock down to the boat and the wife and boys held it still from the bank while I used it to get out to the trailer. I walked out on the tongue of the trailer and felt with my foot and found the pintle ring. I could *just* reach it with my right ear under water.

21_zpsff16deba.jpg

20_zpscb7531cf.jpg

Once we got it hooked up, I backed the tractor down the hill and started pulling it out. VERY SLOWLY. as I was going up hill and the trailer weight, full of water and landing gear digging in the mud was a LOAD.

Right when I got it to the bank the landing gear broke off the frame. I was afraid it was going to, but I really didn't have many options at that point.

IMG_7466__.jpg

IMG_7462__.jpg

IMG_7472__.jpg

IMG_7479__.jpg

IMG_7486__.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

number9

Finally got it up the hill and back in the driveway.

IMG_7492__.jpg

IMG_7493__.jpg

Luckily I was able to get the landing gear out of the pond. I like these crank landing gears and was really pissed when I thought I lost it.

28_zps166ac297.jpg

After I took this pic I went in and took a shower and got on some dry clothes.

THEN, came outside and started pressure washing the trailer off and a big set of black clouds rolled in out of no where and opened up. Soaked AGAIN. You ever have one of them days when you get soo pissed off that the anger just goes away because you just really don't care anymore? I was there. aua

Last edited:

number9

So, after finishing the pressure washing and putting on a THIRD set of dry clothes, I brought the trailer in the shop and got to work on the broken landing gear.

It mucked it up pretty good.

29_zpsf1d89ee5.jpg

I cleaned it up as good as I could without taking off too much material.

30_zpsa10fab02.jpg

31_zpsb7bbf58e.jpg

Had a bit to build back up with the welder, but it didn't look too awful bad.

32_zps2c36e2bd.jpg

All welded up and ready to put back and and test it out.

33_zps2e79c6c1.jpg

34_zps71fc7a18.jpg

I painted the areas I welded up and the landing gear worked just fine when I put it back on. It's not perfectly straight but it's close enough that you couldn't tell unless I pointed it out.

number9

We got it out today and put it to use, hauling all the parts we took off both trailers out to the barn and put them up.
I am REALLY pleased with how this trailer turned out and actually like it better than the M101A3 I have, I think. The larger bed is really nice.

IMG_7522__.jpg

The wheel wells lined up really nice with the tires.

IMG_7524__.jpg

The M116A3 wheel width lined up really nice with the M105 bed width too.

37_zps786e9878.jpg

38_zpsbff9b4ff.jpg

This tralier is going to be very handy and get lots of use.

**I'll work on getting the pics fixed. I really don't understand the "file too large" error as the pics the error happens on are no larger than any others that loaded successfully**

**Alright, got the pic upload quirk figured out. Now I'll work on getting bigger pics up to replace these small ones.***

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to reinstall the parking brake levers.

number9

Just seen this reply.

I am really liking the trailer a lot. It's my favorite trailer. I use it mostly behind the tractor hauling logs, brush, whatever. Hauled a heavy load of big field stones a few weeks ago back in the woods to fix a creek crossing.

Only thing I'd caution about is it's easy to get the tongue light. The extra bed length past the axle can get ya if you don't keep it in mind when loading it. Don't park it with a load in it without the brakes on, and don't park it pointed up hill.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks