• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M105 Recovery

ryker725

Sure, trailer recoveries are pretty boring but hey, why not post it them all...

Made the 4-1/2 trip up to Fort Polk yesterday to pick up my trailer. Walked into the visitor center to get my pass. The MP saw the trailer I was pulling and asked what I was picking up. I told him a M105 trailer. His reply: "Oooh, sounds fancy".. WTF? Talk about a total goober.. Anyways, I asked him where his GL lot was located and he did not have a clue.. Told me to ask the guard at the gate to the base.. Drive up to the gate and rent-a-cop with an attitude told me to turn off my engine and give him our licenses (me and my wife). He scans tha bar code of my pass and also scans the magnetic strips on our licenses and says ok you can go. So I asked him where the GL lot was located and he gave be a blank look like "why are you bothering me with your stupid question".. He asked "you mean the place where the bring the old stuff for aution" and I confirmed.. He gave me a "hint" of where it was located, but did not tell me specifically. Almost like he wanted me to get lost (which I did).. After wandering aimlessly around the base, I pulled over and entered the address from the auction sheet into my iphone and it showed me exactly where it was located and it took me only a few minuts to find it. I should have done that from the start...

Walk inside and sign in. These are some really nice folks there at Ft. Polk. The lady looked at my invoice and told me to to drive back by the trailers and she would meet me with the forklift. A few minutes later my trailer was loaded and I strapped her down for the 4.5 hour trip back home. Man it felt like I was pulling a parachute with the tarp on it.

About an hour into the trip we stopped to eat lunch. After lunch I spent a few minutes to take the tarp off and continued our trip home, which was uneventful except for the horrible traffic during rush hour in Baton Rouge.

Get her unloaded and my truck fell in love,, It didn't take them long to "hook up".. A match made in heaven...

Attachments

Last edited:

3dAngus

Exactly! GL is not a government organization. Always ask for the government location, not a civilian contractor. Or at least spell it out as "Government Liquidation" rather than "GL".

GL means nothing to 99% of all mainstream people. And yes, the people at GL at Polk are very helpful. Check your air lines and emergency brake lines for bends or breaks after that forklift job. It is subject to crimping your hand brake lines so if you ever use the handbrake, the wheels may lock up as the threaded cable will not return properly due to the crimping.

Also, inspect your electrical wiring to the back lights. If they get squeezed, you may have some electrical issues too.

gunboy1656

One of the first things I would have done was at least taken the cover off. Would help quite a bit with that parachute effect.

Nice looking trailer.

ryker725

Everything works like a charm on it. Few scratches on the bed from the forklift moving it around, but no damage. Manual brakes work like a charm. The chassis appears to have a few years on it but the bed, tongue wheel, rails and bows appear to be very new. One of the tires is brand new, the other is better than 90%. The inside of the bed does not have a scraatch like nothing has ever been in it. All data plates mounted are new with stainless steel bolts and nuts. The tarp has a little wear but it is in very good condition.

Overall I am very pleased with the trailer. And to think I picked it up for under $200..

a175

Next time, go through Gate 4. You'll stay on that road that goes through the gate until the second stop light. Take a right, and GL will be on down the left. I usually say DRMO. I've had one guard just wave my CUCV through, and another asked if I was going to Government Liquidation. I've been lucky enough to never have a negative experience at this particular post. YMMV of course.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks