• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M109a3 RV conversion

Lennon225

Looks good! I put the AC in the front window of mine and made a small window to fill the left over space. Around my area I catch alot of trees along the roof so im guessing that a roof top ac might take a beating.

Funny Shoes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want thank you guys for all the input so far. Please keep it coming.

I plan on putting a full size bunk in the front of the box. Doing so is going to disallow me to install a window unit in the the existing window. I understand that she is already 12' 6" tall. I'm thinking of going with a RV style roof unit but building a brush guard to protect it ( along with a large array or flood lights). Still kicking the idea around a bit before I drop some coin on that part of the conversion.

Tomorrow is looking very promising in regards to getting the bunk installed. Did a lot of drawing and talked it out with my buddy. Hopefully will have some awesome results by the end of the day tomorrow.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For air con I used a vertical, roll-around unit from Lowe's. I removed the ventilator motor that is next to the rear door on the driver side, plumbed the hot air exhaust duct to there. Works great. Runs off a generator placed outside.

Funny Shoes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
a little explanation on these pictures
IMG_0693.jpg IMG_0695.jpg

I wanted full size bunks but with the mostly functionality as possible. ended up with an idea of having a futon style bunk on bottom. this would allow us to use the bottom as storage and also be able to convert it to a couch. we put the top bunk on a hinge so that it could be raised to allow for head room when the futon is in couch form.

Funny Shoes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thinking of a shower only. I never like the smell of a black water tank in any RV. Was thinking of maybe just pulling a portajohn behind the Duece that way I could drop it down wind.

RAYZER

I like it!
The front bunk area looks to be very functional and a good use of space.
What are your plans for wiring for lights and accessories?
Will you be installing floor covering?
In my opinion, using a 12v lighting and accessories setup with (seperate from the truck)
House batteries for the box would simplify things, you could use a rv service panel unit with 120v breakers and 12v fuses with battery charger converter all in one, this way you could plug into any 120v source and run the house and charge the house batteries automatically.
Two 6v deep cycle batteries wired in series work well with this setup.

Funny Shoes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like it!
The front bunk area looks to be very functional and a good use of space.
What are your plans for wiring for lights and accessories?
Will you be installing floor covering?
In my opinion, using a 12v lighting and accessories setup with (seperate from the truck)
House batteries for the box would simplify things, you could use a rv service panel unit with 120v breakers and 12v fuses with battery charger converter all in one, this way you could plug into any 120v source and run the house and charge the house batteries automatically.
Two 6v deep cycle batteries wired in series work well with this setup.
Electric has been something I have buried my head in the sand with. Been almost fully reliant on my buddy on all electrical plans

My partner in crime (my friend helping me out) is a electrician by trade. He also used to work for an RV dealership. We have talked about doing essentially what you speak of. Talked about going and to a junk yard and canabalising some parts. I need to get my buddy on this site. He would like it and it would help with all the brainstorming.

quickfarms

What size are the beds?

How tall is the storage below the bottom bed?

What is the headroom on the lower and upper bunk?

On the bottom bunk is there going to be a back support to make it into a couch?

I like the addition of the top bunk. I built a futon in the front of my S-280, but I am going to redesign it because the futon hinges are weak and take up too much room. I have a stretcher above the bed for storage by I have thought about making it into a standard size bunk

Funny Shoes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What size are the beds?

How tall is the storage below the bottom bed?

What is the headroom on the lower and upper bunk?

On the bottom bunk is there going to be a back support to make it into a couch?

I like the addition of the top bunk. I built a futon in the front of my S-280, but I am going to redesign it because the futon hinges are weak and take up too much room. I have a stretcher above the bed for storage by I have thought about making it into a standard size bunk
1: full size (54" X 75")
2: 13" enough room to house between a 50 or 80gal water tank that I plan to use.
3: head room will be same within a few inches of the top and bottom bunk. I think my measurement was like 22-26" can't remember and didn't write it down.
4: yes

the top will double as storage in the up and down position when not in use

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks