• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M116A3...

USMC91

Well, it looks line I finally won one. Now it's a matter if getting my EUC taken care of and going to recover it from Barstow. :)

Can't wait to get it home and start tinkering.

Thanks to everyone who's provided advice and support, and thanks in advance for the dozens of questions I'm sure to have while getting it sorted out!

...let the games begin!!! :)

Attachments

Last edited:

USMC91

I'll post some pics when I'm at a computer, too much a PITA to do from the phone.

...I'll need to source a crank handle here in SoCal before heading out there. I also need to figure out what all to bring with (air, tools, temporary trailer lights, etc.).

USMC91

I've been working in SolidWorks to play around with configurations. It needs to retain an open center to haul dirt bikes, so I'm looking at cabinets at the front and along the sides, with a tail gate that may double as a step.

I have ideas, but limited funds, so it may start with nothing more than a 12v system and some motorcycle wheel chocks.

I'll post so e images of build ideas into this thread as I go.

Ripcord01

If you think it was a good price then thats all that matters! I think the trailer looks clean. Make sure you check the wheel lugs and all.. I forgot .. Welcome to the Forum..

Craig

USMC91

Here are a few screen shots of my (very much a work in progress) layout for the trailer.

...I'm really just sketching ideas down in 3D as I go, but the basic concept is room in the middle for 1 or 2 bikes, cabinets on both sides, with propane in its own cabinet on the tongue.

The roof rack would accommodate a roof-top tent, mounted with a pivot on one side with a locking feature on the other (to allow ease of loading / unloading bikes); the whole thing would have gas shock assist for raising it.

I'm going to design a rear gate that doubles as a step, but that doesn't impede a ramp for the bike(s) as well.

I'm all ears, if anyone has constructive feedback. :beer:

Oh yeah, I don't have a model of my XR650R, so I have a Ducati as a (much smaller) placeholder.

Attachments

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're crank handle is laying on top of the trailer, in one of your pictures. I'm guessing it won't be there long. Good luck with it, I like the A3's much better, nice big axle.

USMC91

Yeah, the crank is there in the photos, but from what I hear, it could be months before my EUC gets approved. ...hoping, against hope, it will still be there when I can finally go pick up the trailer!

If anyone has a spare for sale, I'd be happy to have a "spare".

USMC91

Well, my EUC came back approved today, so I've called to make an appointment to pick her up. ...except the lady that manages the Barstow office was away from her desk when I called, and she asked me to call back in the am. Not sure if I will be able to pick it up this weekend, or if I'll have to go mid-week; either way is fine as I took the whole week off.

I'm starting to get nervous about the crank handle issue though, if it's gone, and I can't scrounge one on site, will I have issues raising the leg to tow it home, or is that just for jacking it up/down? ...yeah, yeah ...I know, I'm going to read the TM now! lol

Anyway, I'll report back when I have her home, safe and sound.

You should be able to lift the trailer if needed to close the jack. Take pictures and show them that there was one on the trailer you bid on. I did this when my tarp was missing on a 101 and they pulled on from a lot that had not been listed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks