• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M35

Shadrach

I purchased this truck from a fellow member last summer. Worked on it off and on all through the fall in an attempt to make her dump. Last month my dad and I finished that phase of the project and so here are a few pics. More mods to follow and hopefully another truck to follow as well. That's my dad in the pics. I'm the one running the camera.

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee336/shadroe/M35A2 Dump/th_0111001539a2jpgDad2.jpg

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee336/shadroe/M35A2 Dump/th_01020015571jpgDadandtruck.jpg

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee336/shadroe/M35A2 Dump/th_cp1_01020014211jpgDad-1.jpg

ARYankee

Wow.... Brings a tear to my eye. So she's done you good. Awesome mod!!! That was exactly what one of my neighbors that was looking at it wanted to do to it. You need to shoot me an email some time so we can catch up.

I'm going to Camp Robinson tomorrow to poke around and gather some intel. If you would like I can share it with you as well.

Shadrach

M35

Ol'Smokey has done good. I enjoy the **** out of driving it. I need to find me another one to make into a toy. I hate to put the bigger tires on this one. It's almost to tall for me to load with my little backhoe as it is. But, I think it's going to get one of the 24V 12000 lbs. milemarker winches soon. Drop me an E-mail on what's available and how it looks if you don't mind I'd appreciate it.

ARYankee

Excellent!!!! Glad to hear it. I'll gather some intel and shoot you a PM. I've been thinking about adding a winch to mine but at the moment I'm looking at getting another one. Mr. BFT is lonely and needs a playmate plus I have 2 M105 trailers and only 1 deuce :)

Shadrach

m35

When I started figuring on the needs for the hydraulics I looked at my legal max weight and subtracted the weight of the truck. 26000 lbs. max legal weight without a CDL and the truck weights 13000 lbs. so the max I can legally carry would be 13000 lbs. I set the hydraulics up for a max lift of approx. 17000 lbs. to give me a little extra. Once everything got put together I can actually dump a load of almost 20000 lbs. Which I thought was great until I tried to haul some rock from the quarry down the road from me. They managed to put over 30000 lbs on the truck with a couple scoops from thier loader. I didn't realize it was that heavy until I ran onto the scales and seen the numbers. Bottom line is it will dump more than I could legally haul so I guess it's good enough but, I kind of wish it had a little more UMPHH. Considering the upgrade using all new components only cost me $1000.00 I really can't complain.

greenjeepster

I just picked up this lift. I think its a little overkill, ok way overkill, but I want to have plenty o power:-D
It is a delicate balance between just enough and too much.... Too much lift and if you over load the truck the bed will fold when you go to dump it. Better to have not enough and have to shovel some off by hand than to have too much and damage the truck by exceeding the capacity of the body.

Shadrach

followup pics

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee336/shadroe/M35A2 Dump/1267474442.jpg?t=1267474722

This is the hydraulic control valve and the bottom of the tank. The spare tire mount is still functional. A extended handle has since been added to the valve to facilitate the operator not being under the bed when it raises and lowers. Just not a good place to be....

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee336/shadroe/M35A2 Dump/1267474238.jpg?t=1267475495

Here's the hinges just before completion. Additional reinforcement has been added to the frames of both the truck frame and bed frame since this pic was taken.

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee336/shadroe/M35A2 Dump/1267474485.jpg?t=1267475793

Here's the cylinders. Two of them 42" long 3" diameter purchased from Surplus Center. Also purchased all the hoses, fittings and power unit from them. Power unit is a twenty-four volt dual pump unit that I mounted in the tool box under the cab.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shadrach,

That sir looks like a very usefull mod. It looks like a great father/son project!

I see you placed the hinges at the very rear. does the bed clear the bumperettes or did you remove them? Also, what confirmed weight have you managed to haul and dump using the system?

Oh, one more question: Do you use a pressure equalizing device between the cylinders in case of an unequal loading?

rick

Shadrach

M35

Max scaled load so far was 25322 GVW with roughly 13280'ish being the truck, fuel and yours truly. So far a equalizer has not proved to be necessary. The lifts are even and smooth side to side. I removed the bumperettes and pintle just incase of clearance issues. I plan on reinstalling the pintle no problem but, the bumpers are going to be close to touching the bed.

I have really enjoyed doing this with my dad. He's been fighting cancer for the last few months and this has given him something else to think about, Thank God. I usually don't take pictures of us workin on projects but, this one has been different. Now that it's complete he's in a funk and his VA doctor has started him on anti-depression meds. I'm now looking for another deuce and a M105 trailer so we can do a bobbed 4X4 together. Hopefully that will get him out of the house and out of his funk.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the photos and story of your working with pops. I think, and he may agree, he did a good job raising you.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks