• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M35A2: Number 1

SasquatchSanta

All the FDC does is compensate for different fuels so the same amount of pedal can be used with different fuels.

My fuel guage lies. Last winter I ran out of fuel with just a little under 1/4 tank showing on the guage.

alphadeltaromeo

The way I check for fuel mileage is to fill my vehicle to the limit, drive it...fill it again and see the fill amount (hating the cost all the way lol) and then do a delta on the fuel used with the mileage driven...fairly simple.

If you're getting 12-13 with the barn door on, you must have super deuce. Not saying it's not possible, but it's quite improbable. In a very respectful manner...I simply don't believe that sort of efficiency *grin*...very respectfully of course.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best mpg I've ever gotten was driving a deuce tractor, keeping speed between 51 and 52, desplined front hubs and one rear shaft removed. Got 11.8 on that tank.

SasquatchSanta

On a "controlled" test with my bobbed deuce running an LDT-D engine at around 2,000 RPM w/395-85R-20s, spin out hubs, no fan and no canvas got a little over 12 MPG.

I fueled in Cook MN and drove to Inernational Falls MN and back. The total round trip of 140 miles involves two stop lights --- one coming and one going. I was able to run 2,000 RPM during the whole trip. As you know, 2K is optimum for efficiency. I dare say a person couldn't hold that kind of "control" during normal driving. IMHO, anything over 10 MPH with a "bobbed" deuce is a gift.

To accurately measure fuel consumption I've drilled a 3/16 hole in the fuel tank filler tube.
The 3/16 hole allows me to fill the tank to the exact level every time. See attached picture.

Attachments

scooter01922

Being a fairly new guy around here i try to only make definitive statements when I'm really, really sure I'm correct about something. That said, everybody that has chimed in thus far has an immeasurable lead on you as far as deuce knowledge goes. I might recommend toning down the superior knowledge base theory your running on. You just don't walk onto the site and tell the ACTUAL experts that they are full of crap. And for the love of god its BOOST damn it, not boast !!!!!!!!

Rolling_Eudaimonia

scooter01922 said:
Being a fairly new guy around here i try to only make definitive statements when I'm really, really sure I'm correct about something. That said, everybody that has chimed in thus far has an immeasurable lead on you as far as deuce knowledge goes. I might recommend toning down the superior knowledge base theory your running on. You just don't walk onto the site and tell the ACTUAL experts that they are full of crap. And for the love of god its BOOST dang it, not boast !!!!!!!!
Why do I bother...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
dc3coyote said:
SO whats that in pic three? is it a ash tray?
That is a tampon dispenser, they put them in the M35A2's just before the switch to M35A3's with automatic transmissions! :wink:

scooter01922

I don't know, why do you??? I must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Nice truck, and best of luck with it. Do as you like afterall it is YOUR truck now.

chicklin

Rolling_Eudaimonia said:
What it does.
The document you just posted says the FDC varies the flow rate of the fuel based on viscosity, which is directly correlated to heat value per gallon (i.e. "power" per gallon).

In other words, fuel with less power (i.e. thinner fuel) is allowed at a higher rate than fuels with more power (i.e. thicker).

The debate was about whether you could (or should) run alternative fuels with the FDC bypassed, right? Based on that doc, I don't see anything that says you couldn't run any approved fuel.

As far as whether or not you "should"? I would guess that a stock truck is tuned for diesel fuel, which would be somewhere in the middle of the rich<-->lean scale, right? So, with the FDC bypassed, you could run rich or lean, but I wouldn't think the variation from diesel would be enough to cause any significant problems. I think you would have to run tens of thousands of miles with a rich or lean mixture for it to make any difference.

In short, I think everybody is right, I just think the effects of running without the FDC are exaggerated.

Just my opinion, certainly not an expert.

FreightTrain

Banned
On a diesel you really CAN'T run it rich or lean like a gasser.You don't run enough you just don't have power.Run too much you have power but Mega smoke.You can run a diesel with enough fuel running through it where it will bog down.Ask AMGeneral on here.He did it with a stock everything just turned the pump WAY up.

chicklin

FreightTrain said:
On a diesel you really CAN'T run it rich or lean like a gasser.You don't run enough you just don't have power.Run too much you have power but Mega smoke.You can run a diesel with enough fuel running through it where it will bog down.Ask AMGeneral on here.He did it with a stock everything just turned the pump WAY up.
Well, that's what I meant. "Rich" and "lean" were probably the wrong terms. I'm new to this diesel thing, although in some respects it is quite a bit simpler than a gas engine, especially troubleshooting.

Either it's not getting enough fuel and sapping power or it's getting too much and not burning efficiently. Either way, it's not likely to cause much, if any, long-term damage.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
dm22630 said:
Here ---> http://www.govliquidation.com/media/Multi-fuel-Options.mp3

This is on GLs website! It explains HOW multifuels work.

Maybe the people that sell THOUSANDS of multifuel trucks.....just might....know more than the all-knowing thread starter..... rofl
I wouldn't count on GL knowing any more than the average 5th grader :wink: . They are right on this matter though (I'm sure they just copied it from somewhere and don't even know themselfs what it says).

Rolling_Eudaimonia

FreightTrain said:
mega smoke is not good... The Isothermal cycle requires more heat to burn excess fuel off, so the only way to do that is to increase the cylinder head temperature through a more efficient usage of the extra fuel.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

FreightTrain said:

Rolling_Eudaimonia

dm22630 said:
Here ---> http://www.govliquidation.com/media/Multi-fuel-Options.mp3

This is on GLs website! It explains HOW multifuels work.

Maybe the people that sell THOUSANDS of multifuel trucks.....just might....know more than the all-knowing thread starter..... rofl
He is wrong in one critical area: there is nothing special about the LDT-465-1 , C, D or LD-465-1... They are just your average run of the mill direct injection 7.8l Diesel engines. The reason they use diesel engines instead of spark-ignition engines is really simple in a multi-fuel application. If you change the fuel in a spark-ignition engine you also have to radically adjust amount of added heat you have to the engine as well for proper combustion. So going from diesel which has a lower flash-point than gasoline would mean an increase in spark temperature and cylinder head temperature as well to insure proper ignition of the fuel. Along with proper timing of the engine.

Now in an isothermal cycle engine or a Diesel engine if you change the fuel all you need to do is increase the amount of fuel in your substitute so it approximates the caloric value of Diesel. That is why the FDC is the heart of the system. It uses the density of the fuel to gauge a rough estimate of the caloric value of the fuel relative to the baseline fuel diesel. That is why engines with multi-fuel capacity always have some means to adjust the fuel delivery system to compensate for the drop in specific caloric intake so the engine isn't running with too little fuel thus over loading under-stress over fueled and literally drowning itself in unburnt fuel.

The Leyland 60 was multi-fuel engine for the Chieftain tank and it was a dog; because, it could never get the proper amount of fuel under any circumstance to the engine. It would barely move out of it's own way. The LD-427 seems to have the same problem. The engine was not designed to compensate for the change in energy density of the fuels. Hence the LD-465 series' FDC was an attempt to make an engine that could actually produce power on all certified fuels.

Now when I was kid I used to run a Briggs & Stratton 18hp engine on mixture of nasty fuels like model airplane nitro-methane fuel mixed with alcohol and gasoline. It would run on it but it was not a good idea. I'm surprised one of my mixes didn't blow up the head... Hell I once poured in 2-cycle fuel into it by accident it ran but poorly... Hence my addition of nitro-methane in the fuel tank to increase the burn rate. So you can do it. It didn't really damage the engine, but it didn't really help out.

And if you want to know why this stuff: I might be a philosophy major but I've audited the engineering courses on thermodynamics of diesel engines.

TBigLug

Wow, lots of hostility. Nice truck. You sound like you know what you're talking about to me. Maybe it's time to rethink the new=unknowledgable theory some people have... Me, I'm just a poor ole dirt farmer...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks