• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M923A2 Battery relocation and custom battery box mod.

spartan_185

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to share the details of the recent battery relocation mod that I have done to my M923A2. I started out with a M923A2 that I have a really nice set of air ride seats to install in. I first needed to relocate the batteries to the outside of the cab. I have seen people that use the rear toolbox to do so, but I wanted to retain my 4 battery setup for jump starting and accessory use. I had seen the actual battery relocation kits but I was definitely put off by the price and I just didn't like way they were setup. I owned a M915 for a while and got to thinking about how those boxes were setup and how easy it was to access the batteries. They also held 4 batteries nicely and even had their own slave cable output on the box. I decided that I would try and modify that setup and put it in place of my rear toolbox. I looked around GL for a few weeks and scored two brand new M915 battery boxes, got them home and went to work on them.

I first started by unbolting my large rearward toolbox. After that I cut off the metal brackets that bolt to the battter box to M915 frame Then I placed the modified battery box on top of the toolbox support brackets and drilled holes to bolt the battery box to the support brackets. I used 1/2 grade 8 bolts to hold the battery box to the toolbox supports along with washers and nuts. The rubber coated board that the batteries ride on top of had to have 7/8" holes drilled through it so that it could sit on top of the bolt heads in the bottom of the box. After that was done I found that I needed to run new cables or extend my old ones. I chose to run new because I had some brand new 2/0 cable that was given to me,(My brother is a welder) and I had the tool to crimp battery cable ends. After I ran my new cables, I transferred the batteries to their new box and bolted them down. After hooking all of the cables up and putting the lid on, the box looks almost stock. The only thing out of place is the step welded to the bottom, but other than ground clearance, I have not found a reason to cut it off. The step sticks out a little bit, just about even with the face of the tires. I like it because it allows me to step up and take a peek at my cargo in the back. I now just have to get to work on installing my seats and insulating my cab for an eventual AC install.

Attachments

Last edited:

Carlo

First class work spartan! I never figured out why they put the batteries in the cab. Batteries make dangerous gases when charging.

Ford Mechanic

Nice job man! Removing those batteries in the cab are a pain! I also relocated mine, I relocated them to the front tool box though being I had only 2 battieries. Now you just need a battery disconnect switch on the side.

spartan_185

Nice job man! Removing those batteries in the cab are a pain! I also relocated mine, I relocated them to the front tool box though being I had only 2 battieries. Now you just need a battery disconnect switch on the side.
Hopefully I can get one added while Im installing my winch setup this weekend. Any suggestions on what type?

rebelqwes87

That looks great! One question though, is there a particular reason that you made the bottom step lower than the bottom step on the existing tool box? I'm not bashing by any means, just curious because it looks like you lowered your ground clearance some.

spartan_185

Ill be putting in two bostrom air ride seats from a m915a3. They are really nice seats. As far as the step goes, it was part of the original battery box and I just haven't found a reason to cut it off.

quickfarms

The FMTV battery boxes are real cool. After you remove the lid you can flip the two levers and the whole tray slides out. You can also mount 3 air tanks to the bottom.

GL sold off a bunch of them recently for dirt cheap.

Outlier

Sharp setup! I am looking into air ride seats for mine as well and will need to move my batteries. Thanks for a possible solution!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks