• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My MEP-802a recovery from Fort Drum & work though to start project. Documenting here.

Chrispyny

My MEP-802a recovery from Fort Drum & work though to start project. Documenting here.

Well i recovered my 802 yesterday with no major hiccups. I would like to start this thread to detail the recovery process and will also be documenting the steps i'll take hopefully to fet a nice runner going.

802 made in 2000.
22 hours
M116a3 trailer
Recovery in Fort Drum
EUC approval total time approx short of 4 weeks

First i'd like to say how cool Paul the Govplanet onsite contact was. Very polite, and assisted me in lifting the lunette up to set into the pintle while my friend backed the truck up. Real cool dude. Very respectful, and i would be surprised if he wasn't former military. Good american.
Drive time from my house in upstate NY to Ft Drum was 3 hours. I took a measurable amount of tools, a jack, cross bar, 4 gal pancake compressor, fix a flat, tire plugs, honda eu2000i to run compressor if needed, wood blocks of assorted sizes etc.
After towing for 30 min, i checked hub temps. 125°F. Warm to touch but not hot. 20 minutes later i checked again but only by touch. Driver side hub was warm enough to get worried and passanger side was on its way. Very warm to touch but not quiet hot.
I decided to pop the dust caps with a short flat head screw driver and a hammer and check the condition of the bearings and grease. Upon inspection, the grease was new but i felt there wasn't enough. There was fresh red grease towards the front of the castle nut but the grease at the bearing was a darked almost brown, and had oozed away from the bearing as if it were poorly packed. I pulled out disposable gloves and axle grease, and started shoving grease past the castle nut until it grease was past the castle nut. I applied the same process on the other side.
After driving another 30 minutes and rechecking, temps leveled off and seemed to have cooled down so i made the decision to continue home. Upon arriving at home some 3.5 hours from start, the hubs were warm enough to the touch that at a very firm grasp, i could hold my hand for about 4 seconds before it was uncomfortable and i pulled off. My fingers were 'late fall cold' so the temp difference between my hand and a warm metal hub probably accounted for this. From what i have heard, and read from old timers, this is still safe but would warrant a look see at those temps. I'll be removing the bearings and repacking this spring.
Upon review, i have a large assortment of accessories which came with the genset and only three small things missing. I am missing the radiator overflow reservoir cap, the lower copper pipe for the auxilliary 50 gallon drum bung adaptor, and the split lug wrench for the output lugs. I have a call in to Delks for the parts already.
Upon inspection, it looks as if the genset in fact only has 24 hours on it. I see no evidence of tampering anywhere and i hope to get it running soon.
Here are pics of my loadout. I'm happy.
86AED140-8687-47BA-AABD-502115F907DB_zpsseyki8nl.jpgDDA14855-FC4B-436F-AE40-E1D2D2E4ACF8_zpsd3uolurm.jpgE862031C-B6D7-4C5B-A3C5-C29103F25B27_zpsc0ydhp8g.jpgBB7EB4BA-03BD-4620-9845-493A2CB94750_zpsuu2a0s84.jpg448F95F0-9834-4EEC-B021-63AC474BA85A_zpstn0gmty3.jpgBEE8A5AC-7F80-434C-9E68-F57B8FE84A5D_zpsq7afm0pj.jpg

Last edited:

Chrispyny

Guys, can you tell me why hot links are showing up and not images? I manually typed in the
. Thing and i got hotlinks instead? NEVERMIND

Anyway. A few quick questions. The diesel has a magenta color to it. I have seen stale dissel and it did not look like this. What am i seeing? Second. I want to remove the generator from the trailer and stow the trailer out back for the winter. In the past, i used my c&m 1.5 chain hoist, trolley and ibeam to pull off my mep-002a, but in this case, the 802 doesn't have a lift eye, and i can't seem to get the genset high enough with straps i have before i run out of chain/lift heighth. Any suggestions there would be great.
Stay tuned gents. I'm inspired by others to continue to document this process from soup to nuts in hopes of helping others in the future.

Last edited:

MtnSnow

Because you need to UPLOAD the images to this site due to the fact that in a period of time those photobucket images will be lost and then there will be nothing but text here.

Chrispyny

Its not stale diesel, It's off road dyed diesel, the best kind in my opinion 8)
Interesting. I assume then that the dyes used are of different but similar colors depending on supplier, as the dyes in MA and eastern NY make diesel look a dirty red blood brown. Ok, thanks. It's still coming out. I can't confirm its age so out it will come.

Can anyone confirm if it's possible to lift the 802 fron the front with a fork lift? I assume as long as i bring the forks in, i can fork from the front rather than the fork slots on the sides?

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
The MEP-8xx units can be picked up by forklift from any direction.

It looks like your missing the fuel tank tube screen.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. I assume then that the dyes used are of different but similar colors depending on supplier, as the dyes in MA and eastern NY make diesel look a dirty red blood brown. Ok, thanks. It's still coming out. I can't confirm its age so out it will come.

Can anyone confirm if it's possible to lift the 802 fron the front with a fork lift? I assume as long as i bring the forks in, i can fork from the front rather than the fork slots on the sides?
Yes you can lift it down the narrow side as long as the forks go all the way across.

They loaded a 802 into my truck that way on one of my pickups. They had really long forks on the forklift.

Chrispyny

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Yeap. I got it off. Bought some chain last night, screwed together a jig, lifted it up, dragged the trailer out from underneath it while the hubs were sitting ontop of some pressure treated 2x10 sections.
Then i ever so gently lowered the 802 down to the ground.

Thankfully it all went well.

Last edited:

robertsears1

I was filling the tank up on my 002A generator with off road today and it was at least as red as the fuel in your picture while it was pouring in. In the tank, not as much. I guess possibly the flash on your camera may have something to do with it. I would use the fuel as is unless it does not run.

Robert

Chrispyny

I haven't even started it yet. I plan to do everything i did to my mep-002a. Drain all fluids, replace all replacable filters with new, change oil, drain old diesel and replace with fresh, allow to bleed out and cycle through on prime for a good while, charge up batteries to 100%, THEN attempt a start.
The great guy who was the onsite contact for govplanet even offered to attempt to start it when i was picking it up and i quickly thanked but stopped him, as i may even drop a couple tablespoons of oil in the cyclinders to lube them up before install also.
I did accidentally bump the dead crank switch and it sounded like it was ready to go. Needless to say, i can't wait but i'm in the middle of a small remodel in my house and am rushing to be ready before christmas so this will be a post remodel early winter project.
I'll keep you all posted.
Also, Daybreak, the fuel tube screen is there, i pulled it for the pic. Thanks tho.

Last edited:

Chrispyny

So tonite i built a rolling stand for the generator so i can move it around as necessary.

I placed an order for a Noco Genius G7200 Batter charger. Thanks to Daybreak, i finally have a charger at home, and as a bonus, it charges AGM batteries and 24v. It's been on my to do list to get a battery charger for the house but i have procrastinated until now. I would always run over to dads and borrow his. That got old. I should have it tomorrow night.

I removed the Optima Red Top batteries from the genset. They seem to be brand new, and i'm sure the Noco charger will top them off and condition them nicely. I have a question. My genset came with the original 51R battery hold downs, but looking inside the genset, i do not see where the 2 steel loops/thread rods in each side pull against. I snapped a pic of both the left and right sides. All i seem to see is a large 2+" drain hole on each side. So am i missing a battery tray or something else?

Lastly, the genset had a brand new oil filter installed which didnt even have more than a quarter cup of oil in it. I doubt it was even primed and ran since the oil filter was replaced last. The oil is brand new. I am usually tempted to change it as i have a touch of OCD, but since oil is so pricey now a days, i think i'll give it a change after i put at least a few hours on it to warm it up and get things flowing first. I have a question, is the oil filter in the picture compatible with this lister petter engine? I ask because in the thread Daybreak started about which filters to use, i see nothing about a Kubota filter working for the 802. Although, it seems to fit very well.

I have a call in to Delks for the radiator fluid reservoir cap, split lug wrench, and lower tube for the auxillary fuel bung. Then i should be set to start her up. I think i may sell the red tops and get yellow tops. The battery on the right side fits, but the battery on the left side ( oil fill side ) sits on top of fuel lines and fittings and doesn't come out unless the oil filter is removed. I think i'll stick to stock on that call.

Thanks for all your answers guys.

Attachments

Korgoth1

You are missing both battery trays, the hold-down rods go through the small holes in the base skid itself however.

Get on fleetfilter.com and use their crossreference tool to see if the kubota filter is the same.

Chrispyny

You are missing both battery trays, the hold-down rods go through the small holes in the base skid itself however.

Get on fleetfilter.com and use their crossreference tool to see if the kubota filter is the same.
Ok, sweet, i have the 2 battery trays. I thought they were covers. I also found the slots the rods hang into. Dang they are hard to see.

Thanks!

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Yes, I would say someone just grabbed 2 batteries and shoved them in there. The current listing for batteries are Optima Yellowtops 51R. The Optima RedTops will still command a good price out there. Or any 51R type battery you want to buy.

From the pictures I saw of your unit, you do have all the equipment for the proper battery hold downs and trays. The half slashed plastic box is the bottom of where the battery sits in.
802 battery 1.jpg802 battery 2.jpg802 battery 3.jpg802 battery 4.jpg802 battery 5.jpg802 battery 6.jpg

I am glad you found a cross reference for the filter. I listed a bunch, but of course there are many others out there.

I am glad you got the Noco Genius G7200. It is a smart charger that can be used everywhere around the shop. It handles all types of batteries 12v and 24v. It can even be left attached to a battery for months without issue.

Radiator overflow cap = it has been found to actually be a very common cap which can be found almost anywhere. If you walk down a aisle with car stuff, start looking at bottles. Some have said the naval jelly lids work as many others.
overflow cap1.jpgoverflow cap2.jpgoverflow cap3.jpgoverflow cap4.jpg

Good luck

Last edited:

Chrispyny

Got the first battery on the charger.Batteries charging.jpg

thought if something daybreak said.where cap come from.jpg

works OK. Not a perfect thread match but will do till i find better or delks comes thru.
cap works kinda good enough.jpg

Tossed original filter and replaced with napa gold brand that daybreak suggested. Then i decided to do something i totally regret. The machine only has 22 hours on it. I should have left well enough alone. I decided to replace the filter/water seperator. I struggled for 4 hours tonite, wrenching with every oil filter i had, every large plyers i had, and finally decided to take the cover off to get to the oil filter adaptor plate. What a nightmare. If anyone thinks this is a good idea, it's NOT. Don't do it. The filter was the original, and has been on for 15 years, and the DUMMY who installed it never oiled the gasket on the filter.
802 torn down for fuel filter removal.jpg

I tried everthing, even stabbing at the filter and turning with a screw driver. No good. Finally a pipe wrench did it. And getting everything back together SUCKED. i FINALLY get why you guys complain about the 80X and why you all like the 00X gensets so much. I GET IT.. SIGH.
thumbs down.jpg fuel filter in vise.jpg finally off.jpg

Parts store ordered the PUROLATOR F53121 cartridge and i'll have it tomorrow. So that should cover all the filters. I sucked out all the off road diesel and replaced it with fresh clean stuff with a tad bit of power service anti gel and conditioner, cause it works so well in my 002.

The instructions for the charger say that the batteries may take at most 16 hours per battery. I hope they don't take that long, as i would really like to try to fire it up tomorrow night. I'll sell the red tops on Clist, and buy nice yellow top 51r's, install appropriately into the trays, and lock em down with the hold downs. I just want to know i have a proper genset before i go dropping $$$ on those yellow tops.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks