• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My MUTT is stuck... in gear

progun

Well, it's like it is in two gears at once or something. It was going fin till all of a sudden I pushed in the clkutch and when I let it out the vehicle bodgged and died. It runs with the clutch in but does the same thin in all gears. It just bogs down. Any ideas? It rolls with the clutch in too so it's not the brakes.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Pull the top cover off and inspect. It will be obvious when you get in there. I assume these are rail shifted (like a deuce, modern manual, etc) and not a side shifted tranny like Muncie, A-833, Toploader, etc.

B3.3T

As stated, remove the top cover from the gearbox and inspect. the gearshift extension into the box might be worn and slipped out of position. This can cause that. Ive seen it happen. If the shifter is worn, let me know, I have extras.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just seen this happen during the Camp Grayling Color Tour last month.

With tcase in neutral and "pushing a truck with a strap" lol, Back to base camp, the cover was pulled and revealed a trans without fluid and the input shaft bearing coming apart.

progun

I am embarrassed to say but I can tell you guys.... The tranny was empty. It was my fault. I had pulled the rear drive shaft to tow her home and forgot to refill it. luckily, I refilled it and the bearing freed up. It'll be ok to drive around slow in the yard till I get my new tranny. I will keep this one as a rebuildable core. Yep, I am a dumbass :)

natem

I am embarrassed to say but I can tell you guys.... The tranny was empty. It was my fault. I had pulled the rear drive shaft to tow her home and forgot to refill it. luckily, I refilled it and the bearing freed up. It'll be ok to drive around slow in the yard till I get my new tranny. I will keep this one as a rebuildable core. Yep, I am a dumbass :)
Don't feel bad your not the first nor will you be the last. The way they howl you won't notice one bearing burning up.

I know of more than one person (whom should know better) that have experienced the same condition.:whistle:

mikes47jeep

i had a 42 ford 1 tonner do this to me,
turns out a tooth chipped off, and was locking the input shaft up.

once i pulled the trans apart and fished the chunk out it was fine

the same trans is still in it today

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks