• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new 211

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Short note to say just picked up a M-211. Looks just like the picture in Standard Catalog of U.S. Military Vehicles, 2nd Edition, page 158 top picture (just add 60 years of wear and tear and you have it pretty well pictured:)). Pictures will be posted tomorrow. Somebody bubbed (no offense to bubba) a hard top on it and a set of headlights on the fenders. Overall condition between a 3 and a 4 on the Catalog's scale. Numbers are still visible, not much rust at all. Usual problems of faded paint, It does have a cabin heater and a bunch of switches I'm pretty sure weren't original. Got a bunch of learning to do on this project. Anyone know of digital TM's out there anywhere? Weren't none on the reference page.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Short note to say just picked up a M-211. Looks just like the picture in Standard Catalog of U.S. Military Vehicles, 2nd Edition, page 158 top picture (just add 60 years of wear and tear and you have it pretty well pictured:)). Pictures will be posted tomorrow. Somebody bubbed (no offense to bubba) a hard top on it and a set of headlights on the fenders. Overall condition between a 3 and a 4 on the Catalog's scale. Numbers are still visible, not much rust at all. Usual problems of faded paint, It does have a cabin heater and a bunch of switches I'm pretty sure weren't original. Got a bunch of learning to do on this project. Anyone know of digital TM's out there anywhere? Weren't none on the reference page.
Congrats on the aquisition Sir!!

I just love M211s. Just waiting til the weather gets a little better to get the last one I got painted etc:

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the M211! Don't forget to post pics of the "bubba" hardtop. We may pick up a good idea from you.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the aquisition Sir!!

I just love M211s. Just waiting til the weather gets a little better to get the last one I got painted etc:
Thank You! Weather is definitely a problem right now for anything. The truck was owned by a junk yard (sorry auto recycler) owner who parked it several years ago and let it sit. According to legend it ran fine as of two years ago. Gas tank smell makes that sound about right. It's got that slight kerosene smell to it that gas gets after sitting a while. They'll be moving all the junk in that's in the way and getting it running if possible. If not, there's a flat bed hauler next door who'll help me out.

Please post any and all pics of your 211's please! especially the dash and cabin outlay. I can get a bunch from pictures for restoring the out side but am going to be challenged by those switches. Are all the 211's automatics? First Deuce i've seen with an auto transmission.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the M211! Don't forget to post pics of the "bubba" hardtop. We may pick up a good idea from you.
Thank you, will do on the photo's. Just off the cuuff it looks like they used galvanized metal over plywood. but I'll post the pics tomorrow and the next few days as we become aquainted. It's going to be the tribute truck for my Dad. He didn't drive this vehicle as it's a 54. But he was in Japan in "52, so that's close enough for me. BTW, there's a plate on the dash that says the truck was overhauled in '56 in Japan...Karma's calling...

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank You! Weather is definitely a problem right now for anything. The truck was owned by a junk yard (sorry auto recycler) owner who parked it several years ago and let it sit. According to legend it ran fine as of two years ago. Gas tank smell makes that sound about right. It's got that slight kerosene smell to it that gas gets after sitting a while. They'll be moving all the junk in that's in the way and getting it running if possible. If not, there's a flat bed hauler next door who'll help me out.

Please post any and all pics of your 211's please! especially the dash and cabin outlay. I can get a bunch from pictures for restoring the out side but am going to be challenged by those switches. Are all the 211's automatics? First Deuce i've seen with an auto transmission.
Was it the one just south of 80 on the east side of 85 in Cheyenne? I can point you into a few more within 100 miles.....

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was it the one just south of 80 on the east side of 85 in Cheyenne? I can point you into a few more within 100 miles.....
If you mean the one at Balcaens, yup. If there's parts trucks near by, I'll be looking for them. I'd greatly appreciate there location(s). My M-35's are pretty much intact,just cosmetic stuff. Good thing too cause I think I just found my money hole, :whistle: Not much is missing on the 211. The only thing I could see was the drivers mirror. Everything else (major) looked to be there.

135gmc

A lost driver's mirror isn't a loss -- as soon as you start the truck, the mirror shakes so much at the end of that long arm that you can't see anything, anyway. I modified a set of M35 west coast mirrors to fit my GMC M135, and they made all the difference in the world. I lengthened some tubes using material I cut from other tubes, a little grinding, some paint, and I've had other GMC owners ask me where I got GMC west coast mirrors - I just smiled and said that they were NOS......

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, truck is home. Pictures will be posted tonight. Rose colored glasses are off and I definetly got a labor of love here. But then again, that's why I got it. It's just going to take a bit longer to get there.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, here it is. Noteto self, ya'll are welcome to participate if you'd like, never ever make a determination of condition of any vehicle when said vehicle is surrounded bu cars, trucks and complete unknows that are crunhed, crushed, smashed and otherwise rendered into a condition that would make them permenant resident of a junk; this time I mean junk, but not to dis the owners of the auto recycling business. It just so happens that the junk kinda got congregated in a couple places of a rather nice auto recycler andmy new treasure was in the midst of one of them. In fact to say another kind word, if you ever need standard vehicle parts and you're in the Cheyenne Wyoming area, PM me and I'll point you the way.

Enough tap dancing. Truck pictures are attached. My work is cut out for me. I've got a plan and direction that this project will go. Not going to be a rush, just slow and careful, cause i want it done right. I want Dad to be proud of this truck.

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
SCORE! You did good, it has all the nick nacks and the dash isn't buggered up bad. You got the exhaust and the extra headlights won't be that hard to fix. A lot more truck than when I brought my M135 home.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SCORE! You did good, it has all the nick nacks and the dash isn't buggered up bad. You got the exhaust and the extra headlights won't be that hard to fix. A lot more truck than when I brought my M135 home.
The look on the drivers (yours?) matched mine pretty much to a "T" as the truck was preparing to roll off the trailer. Not sure why but when the truck was rolled onto the trailer the front wheels turned. Rolling backwards, they did not turn at all. One of things to check out.

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice score. Get that truck mechanically sound and drive it. Love those trucks with the original petina.:beer: