• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new 5 ton

Earth

My M818 got here last night. It had the batteries removed, so I rolled it off the trailer and up the hill to the farm. I put in 4 new batteries from NAPA this morning.

I have them connected correctly, but when you jump up in the cab absolutely nothing happens. The lights don't work either and they should independant of the battery on/off. I hooked it up to a Deuce with the slave cable and nothing either. I disconnected the cables so the slave cables were going right to the starter, and nothing.

Any ideas?

There is an electrical cable just hanging off the wire harness by the steering column and up against the fire wall, and I can't seem to determine if it needs to go someplace vital.

The pics show the mystery wire, and the grumpy old farmer.

Thanks

Earth

05-20-09 003.jpg

05-20-09 005.jpg

05-20-09 012.jpg

05-20-09 019.jpg

Last edited:
Tom,
Glad to see you found an M818. Hope you can get it up and running soon. Make sure to share pics of the completed unit with your log loader when you are done.

Have you turned the injection pump on manual and pull started it to see if all mechanicals are good on the truck? I'd check that before digging into electrical issues first.

More guys can eloborate but you might have a bad battery switch or bad black box on the firewall.
Andy

DAS

sorry

Looks like the distrabution box plug...are you missing the box on the firewall??? if so nothing will work...check and see..box is about 4x3by 10 inches long...cost about 150.00 or so....someone took the off for another truck, I would guess.....

Earth

Yes, it's missing the distribution box. Doesn't surprise me as the batteries and air horn are gone too. Will it pull start without the d box? And, who has them?

Yes you can pull start that truck with the black control box missing. The beauty of the NHC is you could have every wire stolen off your truck and you should be able to pull start it. On top of the injection pump there is a knurled round knob which you will bottom out clockwise to turn the injection pump on manual. You will only be able to kill the engine with the fuel cut off cable on the dash or by stalling it. in high gear (not recommended) Make sure the fuel cut off cable lever is placed forward to the front of the truck otherwise you won't get fuel. A good running 250 should pop real quick when pull starting. Put in 3rd low range.

Your best best on a black box is a fellow member here parting out a truck. This part goes pretty pricey at MV part outlets.

Andy

Earth

Well the good news is the truck fired up on the pull before the tires got all the way around. Brakes are a wee bit soft, but runs and drives very nice. So, now to track down the brain box, and get on with mounting the log loader.

vinny-socom1

Enjoy your truck!!! The black box on one of mine was missing too. I found one locally but there are a couple of members here that have them for sell.

Vinny

Earth

Hello everyone.

Well the 5 ton is ready to go to work. My intention was to mount the log loader on the truck, but when we rolled up our sleeves on this one it got mounted on a 1.5 ton trailer frame, and the trailer bed got the wheel wells filled in to form a more proportional 5 ton bed.

Attachments

Monkeyboyarmy

You can temporarily jump the terminals on that plug to get power to the truck.Did that on my 923 for a couple of years before I found a cheap box.All the box has is a couple of solenoids and relays I think.Large terminals should be power in and power out.I think the small ones are from the starter switch to the starter so you can start the truck right from that connector.Proceed at your own risk.

Earth

actually I got a box. Truck runs real nice. I put in new batteries and cleaned all the terminals, changed the fuel filter, lubed all the zirks, fixed a few fuel line leaks, and blew off the new looking air filter. I still have to change the oil, but it looks like it was just changed so it hasn't been a priority. The loader is run off an honda gas powered hydraulic unit that I picked up for a lot less than it was going to cost going with a PTO approach. Plus it seems more sensible to run 15 hp gas vs 250hp diesel to toss around a few logs. I can also pull my log rig with one of the deuces or behind a tractor, or use it unattached--skidding logs up to it and then pilling them. It's been a fun project. Now I'm going to paint it green and use it. I plan on picking up another 5 ton and making a dump as a winter project.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks