• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MY NEW 7K M1028 & 2 Problems..

dual alt hookup

shelter...I'm not certain exactly what would happen.I got different opinions on what would happen from several alternater and auto electric shops i talked to locally...concensus was that the top alternator would still function to some extent,as it would still need 24-volts to it's field coil to operate ,just like the bottom one.
however there was some thought that the top alt would be somewhat "variable" in it's out put due to voltage drops and interferance from the bottom alt,thus causing the bottom alt to be variable also.
This convinced me that it was far easier to remove the top alt for now and deal with the it later.I know that there are controllers,especially in the marine industry,that can properly control two seperate alts' and still provide correct voltage to both.this is because larger boats often have dual engines and twin everything.
I thought it was unlikely to start a fire,but far better to be safe than sorry.if you remove it you still have 100 amps max at 24-volts,which i think is plenty.you end up with a spare alternator,and now you have a spare mount for a hydraulic pump or compressor 8)

DrFoster

I'm thinking it is absolutely one of three things:

Bad alternator
Bad regulator
Strange wires (but not likely, since it has low miles)

I'd start at the regs and go back through the wires each way from the alternator to the battery. There's got to be a problem with one of the Alternators. Invest in a ghetto test light and a good multimeter.

compressor

Your welcome...ask any time.i'm still getting the hang of the trucks wiring.
I'm going to dig into the relays in the ambulance body as soon as it warms up and gets a little more suitable for outside work.-13-c tonight and were still digging out from a 25-cm dump of snow.
As for the compressor,there are two problems with trying to run an air conditioning compressor for air.The vane types need the oil in the refrigerant to keep lubricated,and they don't have near enough CFM capacity.A much older piston type would be perfect,but by the time a conversion is done i could get hold of a used air compressor with a 12 or 24-volt clutch for intermittant use.it's in the back of my mind.

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

Well I installed the equalizer. I did not delete anything and only installed the equalizer (just in case it ever fails so I have still two alternators and the DUVAC adding to the charge). It did the trick and keeps the front battery at 14.4v with the full 12v load. Easy/ cheap fix ($200)for the M1010 charging system. Thanks for all your help...

excellent!

Thanks for the update.Am pleased it worked as well for you as it did for me.By the way,I'm reading the same voltage regardless of 12-vlt load.
I'm now considering moving the equalizer and both bats to the ambulance body ,to clear space under the hood,as well as moving the bottom alt to the top position.This clears space for a future turbo install,as finances permit.
Just installed a bypass filter where the old duvac used to be.(amsoil be-90).Perfect fit.It's supplied by a tap into the factory oil sampling line.works very well...oil back to amber after a short cruise.also purchased some reproduction interior bits,including a dash cover.
Gotta get some pics up! 8)