• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my new addiction M1010 build

Drock

700R4's can also feature a lock-up converter which adds tremendously to the MPG. Without a lock-up torque converter, the converter just slips all the time losing power (and MPG) to heating the radiator... Also the faster you spin the engine the more power the engine needs to produce to overcome its own friction.

The trick is to gear the truck to match the peak efficiency of the engine (usually towards the middle/bottom of the peak torque lobe to allow for acceleration and loads). This requires matching the tire size, final drive ratio, and transmission gears to the engine's power band. Everything is a "system" in a vehicle, can't just change tire size without affecting something else...

As for fuel economy - look at what the civilian hummer did with roughly the same drive train: 10-13MPG, so getting anywhere north of that is terrific!! A M1009 with proper gearing and a 700R4 can get into the low 20's highway - that even beats some current model year SUVs.
I don't want to hijack this thread but I think you just described the problem I'm having. I installed a Gear vendors over drive unit behind the TH400. And it works really well , but I get crappy fuel mileage, and it starts to run hot on the highway if I push it. Do they make a kit to retrofit a lockup converter into a TH400?

tim292stro

Yes, running hot at high speeds is a sign of excessive TC slip.

I'm not personally aware of any aftermarket way to get lock-up with a TH400, the problem is the transmission case and plumbing is just not built with that function in mind. Simplest modification I know of is to move to a 700R4. K5 blazers normally came with a 700R4 in the mid-80's but GM made the M1009 with a TH400 to make it interchangeable with the other GM CUCVs.

Chaski

87J,
Cool project! I think the 3.73 gears will be good match for a Cummins 6BT swap, especially if you are sticking with a non-OD transmission. Most of those first generation Dodge Cummins pickups had the goofy Dana 61 axles which had the pinion offset from the carrier to allow numerical lower gear ratios, I think some came off the line with 3.07 gears.

I'd never want to swap 3.73 gears into 6.2/6.5 powered pickup over 6500 pounds, or with oversize tires, but the Cummins is a totally different animal with gobs of low end torque.

87J

Yes I just got my diesel fired coolant heater installed and currently building a hitch. I will try to get some pics up soon.

87J

The whole mess is crammed inside this bench. Heat blows out square hole near bottom (kind of covered up by my snowmobile ski in this pic.)

87J

More updates LEDs all the way!!

Built theses taillight housings and found some red LED markers that matched close. Also added super bright rear floods and replaced the factory side lights with low profile awning LEDs. Eventually I want to switch everything else over to LEDs, but my truck fund needs to recoup first. Time to change the title to my money pit M1010 build :cookoo:

IMG_6373.jpgIMG_6377.jpgIMG_6374.jpgIMG_6383.jpgIMG_6386.jpg

WARWAG

Awesome build! Love the ambulance fairing swap. That will help your mpgs for sure. Those are pretty rare. The LED change up is exactly what I want to do now. Did you have to change the flashing unit?

On another note I am in need of the Chevy M1010 AC cover housing. The outer box cover. I purchased mine at auction and it didn't have one. Can I buy yours? Pm me when you get a chance.

Last edited:

87J

Haven't had to change the flasher yet, but I still have regular bulbs up front and in the dash. I'm sure I will need electronic flasher when I get around to changing the other bulbs.

87J

Some more progress over the last year or so

IMG_6206.jpgIMG_6204.jpgIMG_6343.jpg
Espar coolant heater install works like a champ, heats the back and will keep the engine at 175 when its 5 degrees out!
IMG_6345.jpgP82A0323.jpg
got some custom switches made and installed a cheap cupholder (one of the most important upgrades)
IMG_7506.jpgIMG_5337.jpgP82A0225.jpg
Lots of soundproofing!
IMG_7284.jpg
Fresh coat of 383 green