• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my new CUCV

Rich Johnson

Well, since my 93 F-150 died, the tranny gave up and its got 260k miles Im not working on it any more, so I picked up a CUCV truck from a friend.
2,200 and I had to buy batteries for it.
It needs new doors, the driver side is from a blazer and doesnt fit right, the passenger side, of all things has a crack in it, right at the bevel of the body, strange.

Ive allready mounted an antenna behinde the driver side, its a short shakespeare 2m 144mhz stick.
Those antennas seem like they will block the rear view. I havent been able to drive it much because I have to replace a leaking power steering hose, got it and it was the wrong one, still on order.

Attachments

Rich Johnson

Nice Shetler Greg. Looks just like mine, except mine's pale green and dark green where I scrubbed the grafitti off last week. (bastard taggers, I swear if I catch them...)
Any way, I have replaced the leaking Power Steering hose, and patched the joint on the radiator from the tank to the core with JBweld for now. It still leaks a little but nothing like it did. Once I get a steady job I will pull it out and have it soldered correctly.
Im going back to the guy I got it from this saturday to take doors off some residue trucks he has, both of the doors on my truck are fubar and he never got around to changing them. The driver door barely closes.

My plans are to have a daily driver, and sand it down after pressure washing all the moss and mold off it, and paint it with 686 carc sand. I have allready installed an antenna bracker behind the driver and put my shakespeare 116-174mhz antenna on it preparing for my ham radio. Other antennas will follow when I get brackets. I plan to leave all the accessories green, kinda like trim. right now the brush guard is also green, I plan to leave it that way, it kinda makes it stand out you know. Im contemplating putting the V back on the doors too. To me its an Icon I grew up seeing on TV. I was 13 during the gulf war and had a specail satalite tv and we picked up live feed from reporters in the field 24hrs a day. I watched the war live every day except for when I was at school. I have many memories of watching the battle of Koffgee (yes I murderd the spelling), the incoming scuds in Isrial, the scud that was shot down by a patriot but fell through the roof a barracks, Dan Rather getting stuck in the mud in his HMMWV and an Iraqi tank approaching them, he freaked out and they kept filming, the tank pulled them out of the mud then tried to surrender to them. Many things like this I watched live, unedited. My father would tape all day and show us the best stuff when we got home from school. I remember them filming the female Blackhawk pilot that was the first ever, watching her interview live, take after take, then just two days later she was shot down and MIA, years later they made a movie about her that I think Meg Ryan played her character. Anyway, it brings back a lot of memories of my brother me and my dad on the edge of the sofa wathcing a war unfold on tv, live for the first time in history.

The guy says he has the radio rack from the back but Ide have to trade it out of him...maybe, not sure if I really need the thing, even though I am a signal guy. Also on the phone with him tonite he came across the seat racks in his yard, litterally while I was on the phone with him. He lives in the back country here in San Diego and his back yard is like a suplus wrecking yard.

I plan to move the shell off my f-150 over to the CUCV so getting the seat racks would just be icing to save for later. Im also going to look around for shelter mount brackets since I have an S-250 GRC-122 that may need to go into the truck at some point, (even though its currently mounted on an m116 trailer).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks