• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My "new" deuce!

man2112

Hey all,
I'm not sure who all on here saw my thread last week about going and buying a deuce, as i deleted the thread after I bought the deuce. All went well, as the guy who we bought the deuce from only live an hour away, and it was highway the entire way. The truck loaded up on to the trailer easily, and we shortly got the truck all strapped down and on the road to the local notary to get the title transferred over.

We took it down to the dmv immediately, and it was only $35 to register and get plates on the deuce for a year! Insurance was only $30 a year as well for $6,000 full coverage through hagerty.

After getting the deuce home, we wasted no time getting atleast SOME of the paint sanded down... the guy who we bought it from said that he had won the deuce in a GL auction a year ago, and that it had came from a national guard base in Nevada. I have read about some national guard units painting their decues with a mop, and this one is no exception. The paint was sooo thick that there was no way to sand it all off with a DA sander, so we just smoothed out the paint as much as we could.

We then went down the next day and got 2 gallons of tan and 2 gallons of flat black to repaint the truck. The place that we bought the paint from is the same place that we buy all of our equipment paint for our backhoes from. They have the FS595B color codes, and they mixed up the paint for $18 dollars a gallon...the paint is water based, and dries hard as ****; and is MUCH cheaper than CARC to boot!

Anyhow, after 2 days of painting, the deuce looks MUCH better than when we bought it.

I feel that we got a great deal on the truck. The truck is a 1970 AMG m35A2 wo/w, and was overhauled completely in 91 at TEADS, and has all the inspection tags to prove it. All the tires seem new (except for the spare, it has a little use, but is still in good condition) and all the tires still have the little rubber strands on them, and NO dry rot!

The engine is an LDT-465-1D, with a type D turbo. It has under 25k miles on it, and under 300 hours. EVERYTHING works, except we are having a little brake light issue with it right now. It cold starts fine at 30 degrees, and purrs like a kitten.

the truck came with troop seats and bows, and also has the cargo cover and a cab cover. The cab cover is decent (but my god was it tough to get it to slide in to the tracks on the sdie) but the cargo cover is pretty bad. We knew that before we bought the truck though.

Anyway, here are pictures that i'm sure y'all want to see!

If any of you are interested in getting the cheap paint prices, send me a PM and i can get you the company info.

Attachments

Olywadan

I always like the way that sand and black contrasted. Would kinda stick out up here in the Pacific Northwest. Looks really good.

man2112

You do know you have to garage the truck, right?
yep, and it will be garaged. we have a quonset hut that we keep it in, along with the quads and the other toys... and since we have a multi-car discount with hagerty, it also brought down the price of insurance on the street-rod as well! It definitely made for a good buy!

steelandcanvas

yep, and it will be garaged. we have a quonset hut that we keep it in, along with the quads and the other toys... and since we have a multi-car discount with hagerty, it also brought down the price of insurance on the street-rod as well! It definitely made for a good buy!
I'm glad Hagerty worked out for you. There has been a few Fellers on here that didn't seem to notice the garaging issue. Nice truck by the way.

man2112

I'm glad Hagerty worked out for you. There has been a few Fellers on here that didn't seem to notice the garaging issue. Nice truck by the way.
Thank you! Yeah, we are used to big toys around here. My grandpa used to be a semi truck driver/ mechanic for a demolition company for a while, and he has the knack for working on this kind of stuff. He buys and sells backhoes for fun, and he has built several hot rods. This deuce is right up both of our allys! He says that i'm in his world now, with this big truck!

DeucesWild11

Great looking truck.. painting was my first project as well. Weren't you the guy putting together the pre-by checklist? Just remember your avatar.. Hope that worked out well for ya. Congrats on your new toy!

man2112

Great looking truck.. painting was my first project as well. Weren't you the guy putting together the pre-by checklist? Just remember your avatar.. Hope that worked out well for ya. Congrats on your new toy!
Yes, that was me! Originally i had made the list when i was going to look at a different deuce than this...The other deuce i was going to buy, the owner decided not to sell it at the last minute. I'm fine with that though becasue we ended up with a nice truck! We paid a little more, but we got a lot more out of it, especially the tires! The orignal one we looked at had old, dry-rotted flat tires...these are practically new!

man2112

Nice truck ( nice Unimog too ! is that yours?)
No, that picture was taken at a friends house who is an MV collector, but not a member of this site. He isnt much interested in the internet. My friend has a unimog, an m37, an m109, a couple willies jeeps, 2 m105s, a jeep mule, and tonsss of other stuff... we drove the truck up to show him that day!

man2112

Nice truck ( nice Unimog too ! is that yours?)
And just incase you were thinking that the pictures don't look like they are in Gilbert, you're right. The truck is up your direction at my grandparents' house in Globe! Gilbert HOAs dont take a fancy to big trucks....

DeucesWild11

Yes, that was me! Originally i had made the list when i was going to look at a different deuce than this...The other deuce i was going to buy, the owner decided not to sell it at the last minute. I'm fine with that though becasue we ended up with a nice truck! We paid a little more, but we got a lot more out of it, especially the tires! The orignal one we looked at had old, dry-rotted flat tires...these are practically new!
That's great to hear, I usually find out that when one deal doesn't happen and you get a little bummed there is usually a much better deal just around the corner! I was going to go down to SC to get a deuce then found one 45 min from my house and cheaper!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
About sliding your soft top on.... A little WD40 or PB blaster in the track is a lifesaver...... Turns it into a one man job and less chance of ripping your canvas off.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks