• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new Faraday cage/shed with insulation...a work in progress

Tulsafireman

My gen set is simply a Miller bobcat welder on my welding trailer. I keep in in a metal bldg with the batt disconnect switch open hoping that EMP would not effect it. About the best I can do right now. Would like to find a MEP for primary and keep the bobcat for a backup. I have a 50A RV park box on the side of my house. Made a cord to backfeed the breaker pannel. Had a massive ice storm in OK a few years back. Without power for 4 days. Grabbed my M1009 CUCV and pulled the trailer next to the house. Turned off the mains in the breaker pannel, plugged in the genset, backfed the buss bars in the breaker pannel and filled it up with gas every 12 hours for 4 days. Luckily we have Nat Gas heat. Only house on the block that had heat, light, and satelite TV :) Great thread guys. Keep the info comming.

NJ_Toolnut

Some pics of the Faraday cage I'm working on.

MKT roof from GL, structural aluminum frame. 5v galvanized siding. Alum foil covered 1 1/2 " Celotex insulation (foil both sides) was used for walls and ceiling both for emp and sound deadening. Materials, except for 5v were left from my store construction in 2000.

As you can see, the herd of generators in my avatar has been reduced to two. Oil tank and yellow air hose are my quick disconnect aux fuel system.

Jerry:beer::beer:
Hi Jerry,

Nice cage, but I'm more intrigued by that aux fuel setup you have. Is that a 275 gallon home heating oil tank? If you've described how you set up this system in a previous thread, can you please PM me a link? I've started an 18' x 32' addition to my workshop to house my MEP003a (among other machines) and I'm seriously considering getting a used 275 gallon heating oil tank to set up an aux fuel system once I have the genset off the M116 trailer and inside the addition. I'd appreciate the opportunity to pirate your ideas.

Best!

Stan

storeman

Hi Jerry,

Nice cage, but I'm more intrigued by that aux fuel setup you have. Is that a 275 gallon home heating oil tank? If you've described how you set up this system in a previous thread, can you please PM me a link? I've started an 18' x 32' addition to my workshop to house my MEP003a (among other machines) and I'm seriously considering getting a used 275 gallon heating oil tank to set up an aux fuel system once I have the genset off the M116 trailer and inside the addition. I'd appreciate the opportunity to pirate your ideas.

Best!

Stan
Stan,

Have never tried to link to another post on SS, but here goes:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ry-Pump-Lift&p=1264825&highlight=#post1264825

Hope it works. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Jerry

NJ_Toolnut

Stan,

Have never tried to link to another post on SS, but here goes:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ry-Pump-Lift&p=1264825&highlight=#post1264825

Hope it works. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Jerry
Thanks, Jerry. Happy Holidays to your family as well.

That's a clever aux fuel set-up! How hard is it to come by a bung adaptor? Alternatively, I suppose I could plumb from the bottom of the tank as they do in home heating applications, as long as I include a shut off valve in case I want to remove the hose.

Best regards,

Stan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks