• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new ignition switch has an accessory stop but...

Abbylind

:ditto: They do this at a two way radio shop I used to work at all the time
Use a low amperage switched power source to run a high amperage battery fed relay
The glow plug relay circuit is an example...

cpf240

What Warthog and Abbylind said... The glow plug relay, or even the under-dash starter relay are good examples of what I meant, except instead of the relay supplying power to the GPs or starter, it would supply power to a new fuse block that you would wire your accessories to.

Thank you Warthog for drawing that up!

Nate475

Did you ever connect your radios power up to the piggy back fuse in your wiper fuse slot? When I did mine the wipers worked while the ignition switch was in accessory mode but the radio didn't. It makes no sense what so ever, I'm stumped.

Thanks gents,

Warthog you are The Man. I have been wiring things under dashboards since I was 14 or 15, many many... many moons ago. I hate to feel so dense. But when you recommend that I hook up the piggyback fuse holder to the WIPER Fuse it was a revelation. If I ever knew that there was such a device, I must have forgotten it. Now I want to hook all kinds of $4;+ up!

I ran down to AZ and picked up BP-HHA-RP ATC FUSE TAP by Cooper Bussman $5.99.

This is the way to hook up a radio, CB, Scanner, Radar Detector, et al.

NOTE: This part will allow only 10 AMPS MAX in the "Radio" slot of the FUSE TAP. My radio already had a 7.5 amp fuse inline so I installed the 10 AMP in the figuring that the 7.5 would blow first anyway.

I only wish there were a way to add another of these for the scanner and CB. I know, I know... never satisfied.

This info should be a sticky or something.

View attachment 306133

cpf240

I've been able to wiggle mine into the accessory position, but not reliably.
Put key in, push key/lock cylinder in toward the column, then rotate counter-clockwise, should put it in the acc position. Old school style. Some have mentioned that there was a pin in the lock cylinder preventing it from turning counter-clockwise, though I wonder if the cylinder was just not pushed in far enough first.

scottladdy

Put key in, push key/lock cylinder in toward the column, then rotate counter-clockwise, should put it in the acc position. Old school style. Some have mentioned that there was a pin in the lock cylinder preventing it from turning counter-clockwise, though I wonder if the cylinder was just not pushed in far enough first.
This works for me. I used the piggyback fuse holder to power a secondary fuse block straight off the front battery via a relay. This allowed my accessories to be powered on and off with the key in run and accy positions.

For my stereo memory, I attached the memory lead directly to the battery feed before the relay. This maintains the memory even if someone decides to switch the service lights off via the blackout switches. Took me a couple of tries to get that worked out. Finally realized I was losing my presets every time someone (me or my sons) demo'd the blackout lights to a curious friend.

The battery feed is drawn through a 30 amp fuse in a weather tight fuse holder right near the battery.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not cross post.

Nate475

question

Do not cross post.
Perhaps you can help me out with my dilemma, please?

My ignition key switch works in the accessory position. It turns on the wipers the way it was intended to work. But when I put a piggy back fuse assembly into the wiper slot on the fuse block the key switch only powers the wipers in the accessory position and not the radio which is attached to the piggy back fuse. But the radio does work when the truck is started.

Unless the radio is bad I can't figure it out.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I already posted in your other thread.

I went out and used a voltmeter(like you should have).

I know little about piggyback fuse adderoners.

Read the advise given on your original thread and stop posting about it in multiple threads.

The next help I give you, well, I'll help you stop cross posting...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks