• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New Knuckle-Boom Deuce Thread.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed a Bendix AD9 air dryer to keep moisture out of the system and keep the airpacks happy. Had the braided stainless steel lines left over from another project and they happened to be the right size and length. I still need a 24V heating element, and need to run the wire for it.

And after I got it all plumbed in, I undid all the plumbing a few days later cause I decided to start another couple modifications. That involves relocating the existing air tanks, adding a third air tank, and replumbing nearly every air line on the truck. Tune in next week...

20200428_180502.jpg20200429_175123.jpg20200429_195058.jpg20200429_195114.jpg20200429_195210.jpg20200429_195252.jpg20200429_195306.jpg20200429_195329.jpg20200429_195355.jpg

Av3fire

To make the 12V trailer lights work on the 24V truck, I made up a relay system. The 24V relays are energized by the right turn, left turn, and tail lights. When the relays close, it sends 12V to the trailer plug for the appropriate function. Right now I'm getting 12V from a cheap 24V to 12V converter, but I'll add a 12V alternator and battery later. The relays fit nicely in a 4" weatherproof electrical box I mounted in a crossmember.

View attachment 613248
View attachment 613242View attachment 613241View attachment 613239View attachment 613240View attachment 613238View attachment 613245
Absolutely love this post
Thank you as i also want to be able to pull any trailer i can hook to
can I ask for clarification?
white and black go to 12v power and ground??
red and blue are the 24v signal in and 12v out to the trailer harness?

I have mine built and am just waiting on these final things to install

Attachments

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, glad it helped somebody!

Looking at the pictures in my post, I think that's right, but I couldn't tell you for sure. I've slept since then, and I don't want to dismantle mine to look at the wire colors.

But, I wouldn't bank on all Chinese relays having the same wire colors anyway, so we'll go by the diagram on the relays.

I don't know how much you know about wiring, but I'll step you through wiring yours up.

Hooking 24v across 85 and 86 energizes the relay. It doesn't matter which one is positive or negative, so pick either one and hook all three of them together and tie them to ground. (For example, all three 86's to ground)
Then the three 85's would be your three 24v signal wires from the truck for left turn, right turn, and tail.

In this application 87a isn't used, so don't hook anything to it.
We'll use 87 for 12v in, so hook all three of them together and tie them to your 12v source.
30 will be your three 12v outputs to the trailer plug for left turn, right turn, and tail.
What colors all those end up being doesn't matter.

Hope that helps.

Av3fire

Thanks, glad it helped somebody!

Looking at the pictures in my post, I think that's right, but I couldn't tell you for sure. I've slept since then, and I don't want to dismantle mine to look at the wire colors.

But, I wouldn't bank on all Chinese relays having the same wire colors anyway, so we'll go by the diagram on the relays.

I don't know how much you know about wiring, but I'll step you through wiring yours up.

Hooking 24v across 85 and 86 energizes the relay. It doesn't matter which one is positive or negative, so pick either one and hook all three of them together and tie them to ground. (For example, all three 86's to ground)
Then the three 85's would be your three 24v signal wires from the truck for left turn, right turn, and tail.

In this application 87a isn't used, so don't hook anything to it.
We'll use 87 for 12v in, so hook all three of them together and tie them to your 12v source.
30 will be your three 12v outputs to the trailer plug for left turn, right turn, and tail.
What colors all those end up being doesn't matter.

Hope that helps.

YES! this is the confirmation i was looking for... i had it pre-run this way and will complete it later in the week.
THANK YOU Very much!

Av3fire

You're welcome!

This post has the wire numbers for the truck side.

22-460 is Right Turn.
22-461 is Left Turn.
21 is Tail Lights.
cannot read any of the little tags (even if my eyes were good) the wires are too old and cruddy..... but i have a test light and have identified them at the rear light housings (which are getting replaced along with new connectors, which i will piggyback the feed from)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks