• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My "NEW" M-62!

ThatXJGuy

Oh jeeze, I hope I don't have to pull all of that apart. I feel like soaking the whole thing in penetrating oil just in case though. Are all of the soft hoses NPT? I know the hard lines are that ermeto or whatever it is, but pipe thread is easy. The Napa in town that I worked at builds hoses, I built tons that would work for these if they are pipe thread. I looked at the hoses that looked rough and from what I can see without pulling them apart, they looked like NPT.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As good preventive maintenance, pull off the two covers over the main swing gear on the bottom of the crane pedestal. We are working on a friend's truck that got water down into the gear cavity, rusting it badly. the rust and resulting crud got between the gears, first caused jerky motion then locked up and would not turn. The water also took out the Timken bearings on the idler gear and the gear driven by the swing cylinders, finally blowing the swing cylinder activated gear up out of the housing, bending the rod of one swing cylinder and the cylinder's anchor eye on the hoist frame. Thanks to good luck, the gears can be saved. This whole gear mechanism should be kept full of lube and the integrity of the felt seal at the top inner edge of the large gear covers kept intact to prevent water getting down into it. This seal and one at the bottom of the cover on the side of the idler gear housing are not the best, so attention to them is required if the truck sits outside where rain and snow can put water past the seals. Bearing failure is guaranteed if this happens and is not corrected quickly.
Nice truck, it should serve you well.

ThatXJGuy

I'm glad to hear that rayzer! and thanks a bunch for that piece of advice M543A2. I was working on the truck all day today and got quite a bit done on the interior, finding leaks, powerwashing the truck, greasing lots of zerks, changing the air filter and air compressor intake filter etc. I also couldn't help myself so I had to take it for another little test drive. :driver: The power steering is super tough to the right only, which I was reading an old thread that said bleeding the system fixed it so I hope that is the case. I am probably going to replace all of the hoses that have NPT fittings on them and see how many of the Ermeto fitting hoses need replaced then decide what to do there.

So I have decided that I love the tilt forward hood feature of this truck but do not like the look. Has anyone ever taken a stock hood and fenders and turned them into a tilt forward system? I am thinking that it wouldn't be super tough. I really would like to return this truck to the stock look, but it is sooo much easier to work on with the tilt forward hood... anyways, just a thought.

One more thing, is there anything special I need to look for in a cable for the crane? I was thinking this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-X-100FT...916?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232e6027b4

but I honestly don't know a lot about all of that "Rope Class 6X19 Bright IWRC Construction" stuff and what I should have. Anybody know a lot about cable?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks