• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M1009 is dead already.

cbauman79

Well first I'll start with a little back history. I just purchased an 86 M1009 with around 14000 on the OD off of ebay. I'm in TN and the vehicle was in NH so after a conversation with the seller where he told me it was completely road worthy I decided to fly up and drive it down to save some cash. Well I get there and it's got alot more rust that pictured and they had the hood up working on it. Great. I ended up paying $1500 and driving it home. I made it to the TN VA line and it broke down. Ended up renting a uhaul and hauling it home. It ended up being that the GP card fried causing the relay to fuse on causing the gp's to fail. Well after fixing all of the GP system, and going through all the wiring making sure everything was ok I've now been driving it for about 3 weeks. I love the truck but now this morning driving to work it just died. Tried to start it and the motor just locked up causing my starter bolts to sheer off. Luckily I was just about 1/2 a mile from a friends house so were going to tow it to his place tonight and go from there. What I wanted to know is what is everyones opinion of the motors that sell on GL. There are around 20 for auction that end tonight that are not to far of a drive from me. Are they worth it or am I better off just rebuilding the one I got.

212sparky

For starters, don't post about on going auctions. The motors are a crap shoot like any other thing in an auction. I went an previewed some "new" motors. They were locked with the oil pans full of water. They were in cans but the tops did not lock so who knew how long they were open to the elements. Good luck and post pictures of what you decide to do.

cbauman79

I figured as much with the motors on GL. Right now it's sitting at a friends house about 20miles from home. I'm probably going to tow it home this weekend and start tearing into the motor. My IP was starting to surge so I guess it's time to get it rebuilt while the truck is down. I'll get her going again soon I really love the M1009, just wish it was running.

Last edited:

Skinny

Sorry to hear about your troubles...don't lose faith yet. Before attempting to DD this truck, you need to spend some quality time. Get the GP system operating correctly, replace the GP's with AC60g's, replace all the fuel lines along with the filter (preferably upgrade to a spin on). Don't jump to replacing the IP until you had the basics covered. Take care of all the known weaknesses first before the big ticket items.

cbauman79

I've already replaced all GP's with AC60's, resistor bypass, starter relay upgrade, gp control card bypass, replaced fuel lines, installed an electric pump backup. I still need to upgrade to a spin on filter. That was planed for this weekend until it broke down. It was running like a champ until the IP started surging the morning it died I was just hoping it would get me home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks