• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M1009

carter262

I finally got myself a M1009! Yay me. :naner:

I got it at the end of December but am just getting around to posting.

The guy I bought it from said he got it from GL and picked it up at an Army facility in Richmond VA. The markings have been painted over but after some lite sanding you can make out VANG on the tailgate.

It came to me with 67,103 miles and a pretty clean body (a little rust in the rocker panels and a few small dents). The rear window does not work with out me helping it by pushing up on it to roll it up. The seats are in good shape but like most the dash is cracked. Still 24v and does not appear to be molested. I have noticed that there is a leak coming from the fuel filter base. The front shackles and brush guard are missing too. The plate on the inside of the drivers door is for a M1008 too.?

All in all i am very happy with it and most problems should not be to hard to fix. Plus I think it was a good buy for $2900.

Also, if anyone knows why I have an extra square cut out in the grille I am curious. I have seen a picture of another one cut out the same way but it was the only other one I have seen.

DSC06576.jpgDSC06577.jpg

Last edited:

cpf240

... The plate on the inside of the drivers door is for a M1008 too.?
Looks good!

Re the door data plate, that just means that they swapped in a door from another vehicle. I'm guessing the VIN on the data plate does not match the VIN on the dash, etc? The number painted on the door may, or may not, match what is on the data plate as well, depending on when it was painted on there.

carter262

Fixes

So since I got my ride I have fixed the fuel leak. It was leaking around the sensor behind the fuel filter. I understand a common problem. I will post a write up on that process as soon as I have time.

I have fixed the tailgate window too! Now I don't have to crawl into the back seat to get things in the cargo area. I bought new parts for the crank, including the clutch (LMCtruck.com, Clutch-MNL Window Lock, part #36-0782) which I thought was broken, and installed everything, then nothing. Was doing the same thing. After looking and looking I finally saw that the little gear in the regulator, that the crank turns, was stripped. So to the internet and now my tailgate has a new window regulator (amozon / AC Delco, Rear Window Regulator Assembly, item # 15641780).

I will say that I put in the new clutch even though the old one was still good. I was ion there and had a new part so why not use it right? So my new $20 part lasted exactly 9 days! I have now reenforced the old clutch and reinstalled. (i also have pictures and want to do a write up on reenforcing the clutch too as soon as I have time.)

I did the Doghead under the dash starter relay upgrade.

I have purchased a new heavy duty Headlight harness but have not had time to install it yet.

O'yea, I got my brush guard, correct shipping plate for the door, and front shackles!

carter262

CPF240,

Thanks. The Army registration number painted on the door, both inside and outside, match the metal plate on the door frame. So ? but don't care. Not a big deal. I still love it.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Nice looking truck! My m1028 has the factory door and it never had a shipping dataplate on it at all. I've had 3 CUCVs with a cutout in the grille like yours, except they were cut in the center where the hood latch is.

carter262

Evil Dr porkchop
Do you have any idea what the whole is for? If it was at the latch I would guess it had to do with the latch but where mine is the is nothing there.

carter262

I posted to CARNAC's vin search and here is what he found.

Organization: 4TH BATTLION 5TH AIR DEFENSE ARTILLERY BTRY A
Nomenclature:TRUCK UTILITY 3/4TON
Model:M1009
NSN:2320011232665
Serial Number:J2EF109880
Registration Number:NF01RD
Year of Mfg:1984
Manufacturer:93219
Contract NumberAAE07-82-C-4060
Info Nov 1986

Cool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks