• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M1009

I think I'm going to leave her pretty stock looking. The previous owners did the 12v glow plug mod to get rid of the resistor. Other than the original stencils and going back to the 31" tires (I put the set of 33s on just for paint and winter storage) the outside is mostly done. The interior is going to be cleaned and painted but I can't find anyone that can make the original seats with the same color and pattern so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with the seats. Maybe saddle leather like they use in the King Ranch but maybe just maroon or black. If anyone has a lead on original seats or someone that does them I would love a contact! I have a civi center console going in. I wanted to use an ammo can but couldn't find one that would fit the safe I need in it.

Last edited:

The RT-524 is completely painted and installed in the truck. I still need to get an R-442 and mount but this is a good start. If anyone knows someone that is selling one please let me know. It needs to be physically complete but does not need to work. I'm not a ham operator and I can restore it for display. I have to install the speaker on the radio plate on the dash and a mic near the radio. Off to install the new BO lights.
20160103_022129.jpg20160103_082008.jpg20160103_082039.jpg20160103_082130.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks Dave, As soon as the weather turns the M109a3 starts to get the new paint and your trailer will get a 3 color treatment and the tarp. I'll be running the trailer most of the summer for parades and shows! How's your M1009 coming along? Wish I could have made it down to see your trucks when I got the trailer.

Eric the truck turned out great, super job.

Thanks for the compliment. The only thing about the radio is I know nothing about the inner workings and this radio is a display only (mostly empty inside) so blasting and painting were easy because I couldn't ruin anything really. I'm still looking for a non work R-442 for the completed look.

Amazing job on the radio! Maybe you could post some of your methods on the radio restoration. There may be a thread already but this looks better than new!

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Dave, As soon as the weather turns the M109a3 starts to get the new paint and your trailer will get a 3 color treatment and the tarp. I'll be running the trailer most of the summer for parades and shows! How's your M1009 coming along? Wish I could have made it down to see your trucks when I got the trailer.
I'm not doing near as good as you are. I have replaced all the glow plugs, fixed a leaking fuel line, fixed the drivers side window, and am repairing the rear window crank this week.

CUCVLOVER

I think I'm going to leave her pretty stock looking. The previous owners did the 12v glow plug mod to get rid of the resistor. Other than the original stencils and going back to the 31" tires (I put the set of 33s on just for paint and winter storage) the outside is mostly done. The interior is going to be cleaned and painted but I can't find anyone that can make the original seats with the same color and pattern so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with the seats. Maybe saddle leather like they use in the King Ranch but maybe just maroon or black. If anyone has a lead on original seats or someone that does them I would love a contact! I have a civi center console going in. I wanted to use an ammo can but couldn't find one that would fit the safe I need in it.
Ok. So no lifts, power upgrades, or lights?
A set of camo seat covers and have the dash pad and door panels dipped would work.

I'm afraid to even say what I used! As my age goes up my steadiness drops so I couldn't use a paint marker and the nail polish trick I use on my guns eats the paint off so I did the only thing I could, I got out my box of crayons, grabbed the white one and started to mash it in the lettering. I know I'll have to touch it up here and there but it was my only hope. To test it out I put the radio in the bathroom with an electric heater. I got the bathroom up to 120 degrees and the crayon didn't melt out. Not sure if it'll be the same in the truck sitting in the sun but only time will tell.

What did you end up using on the white writing on the radio. I was thinking a super sharp white paint marker.

The Rear window crank... My arch enemy! :) I have had that thing on and off the truck at least 4 times in the last few weeks. I hate doing it but now I've got it down! Today I put the reclining seat hinges on, I did the wiring for the amber light bar on the roof. I changed the speedo cable, I pulled the dash and instrument cluster to change all the bulbs and clean everything, I finished the radio and put it in the truck with the correct cables, I put the fire extinguisher in and hooked up the solorgizer. I still have a ton of stuff to do but the next thing that gets done is cleaning and painting the dash pad. I'm changing everything to black. Just have to keep moving and see what I can get done and how much money I can waist before she's on the chopping block this summer.

I'm not doing near as good as you are. I have replaced all the glow plugs, fixed a leaking fuel line, fixed the drivers side window, and am repairing the rear window crank this week.

Nope just a few little things here and there and a nice new custom interior with "the Renegades" embroidered in the headrests and pretty it up as much as my wallet will allow. Then I'll sell it in the summer because I'll have my other truck done. Maybe I'll start driving it everyday (come spring) and I'll fall in love with it!

Ok. So no lifts, power upgrades, or lights?
A set of camo seat covers and have the dash pad and door panels dipped would work.

The weather here has taken a bit of a turn and long hours of work have limited my time available for the M1009 but I'm still able to get some time in. I have the dash pad and cluster out of the truck to clean up all the frame work and the lenses for everything, I got the fire extinguisher install in the factory spot and the First aid kit has magnets glued to the bottom so I didn't have to put any holes in. The dash pad has been scuffed and painted to semi black and I'm going to have the trim on the dash as green then paint the custom logo to black and green for a little more contrast. I also got the factory center console from an 88 suburban. The console was blue so some sanding and painting were in order. I will be installing the safe in the center console and that's the only reason I'm not using an ammo can for a center console (Safe wouldn't fit). Saturday it's going to rain but I'm going to try and get the dash back together before the polar vortex next week! :)
010716 20160103_102604.jpg010716 20160105_231241.jpg010716 20160105_231248.jpg010716 20160105_231327.jpg010716 20160105_231438.jpg010716 20160105_231446.jpg

The interior parts are almost complete. I have decided to get the seat covers from John at JATonkas so I painted the dash trim and emblem to better match the new canvas interior. I may even try to remake the seat from canvas this spring with the same pleats and tube layout and have the group name embroidered into the headrests but the seat covers are more my skill level! This weekend is going to be a tough weekend for weather so I may lock myself inside the truck with a heater and a DA sander and start the painting process.
010816 20160108_194730.jpg010816 20160108_194736.jpg010816 20160108_195543.jpg

thz71

The interior parts are almost complete. I have decided to get the seat covers from John at JATonkas so I painted the dash trim and emblem to better match the new canvas interior. I may even try to remake the seat from canvas this spring with the same pleats and tube layout and have the group name embroidered into the headrests but the seat covers are more my skill level! This weekend is going to be a tough weekend for weather so I may lock myself inside the truck with a heater and a DA sander and start the painting process.
View attachment 602541View attachment 602542View attachment 602543
Looks good but that plan sounds toxic lol

I decided to stay away from sanding today because I just wasn't feeling it. I did put the dash pad in and mount one of the speakers (need more hardware and didn't feel like getting today). The center console went in nicely and mounted with the factory bracket easily. The speakers are going to get used with an MP3 player for some sort of entertainment on the road! I also installed the mike and speaker for the RT-524 in the back.
ss 001.jpgss 002.jpgss 003.jpgss 004.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks