• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M35... help

Texas Two Ton

I am new to this forum and have a lot to learn. I recently purchased my first M35A2 and I love it.

Everything works on it except half of the gauges don't light up. I don't know much about these trucks at all but I've wanted one for a while and I found a deal I couldn't pass up. Mine is a 1970 Keiser w/o a winch. What are the first steps I should take in terms of maintenance and upkeep? Is there anything that everybody does when they first get their Deuce? Also, the seller told me that they are designed to be run once a month or so. Is there any reason I can't run it more often than that? Also, is there any general in formation you would like to share about the M35A2? Thank you

srodocker

read the manuals in the resources section! there very helpful. half your lights work probley because of a burned out bulb. the bulbs are inside 2 little caps located in the middle section between the guages the screw in. depending on what the previous owner did i would do oil/filter changes. heres the kit that includes all the filters.

Filter Set Air, Fuel, Oil (6 pcs) For M35A2, FS01A

you can find almost all your needed parts on that site. theres a cpl other sites out there but i found eriks to be very fast and helpful.

about driving it once a month...i've been driving mine almost everyday past month. yesterday i drove it for over 3hrs just coming home and it did a 3hr drive getting there plus a parade.

the deuce will never be finished as you will find stuff that you want to add or whatnot. shoot i've only had mine for 5months and done tons of stuff hehe. all in all have fun with it and do some routine maintenance as im still a noob to a deuce myself

Attachments

Capt.Marion

Everything works on it except half of the gauges don't light up.

Easy. You'll notice a couple of circle-looking things in between gauges on the gauge panel. One has a dot in the center that lights up when you turn on the high beams. The other two are just removable covers that unscrew so you can replace the bulbs that illuminate the gauges. Unscrew the one by the gauges that don't light up and take the bulb out and get a new one.

Is there anything that everybody does when they first get their Deuce?

When was the oil last changed? If it wasn't recently, I'd go ahead and change it. Read up in the TMs to see how it's done. I'd recommend using 15w40 grade oil. That's what almost everybody uses. Lots and lots of people recommend the Shell "Rotella-T" brand. It takes 22 qts, so get 5 gallons and then 2 more quarts. You can also order a spin-on oil filter kit from member JATonka at his website. They make life much easier when changing the oil.

Fuel filters depend on how long it's been since they were replaced. I replace mine when I replace my oil filters.

Check brake fluid. Shouldn't be a problem if your brakes work fine.

Also, the seller told me that they are designed to be run once a month or so. Is there any reason I can't run it more often than that?

Totally and completely incorrect. In fact, these are "severe service" engines. They are designed to run 12-16 hours STRAIGHT without any trouble. I wouldn't recommend trying it, but they are fine to be as run as often as you need or want.

Also, is there any general in formation you would like to share about the M35A2?

Read the Operator's Manuals (the ones that end in -10) completely, and save the Organization Maintenance manual to your hard drive for when you need to make repairs. They can all be found here.

Also- I'd recommend getting a CD set of all the manuals. The place I got mine from ($20) seems to be gone, but keep your eyes pealed.

Have fun! and welcome to SS

Crazyguyla

Before the "Search" Nazis attck, learn to use the search function. It's a lifesaver to finding the infor you need. all the Manuals(TM's) you would need for your truck are in the Resource section. The manuals you want to look at: 9-2320-209-XX and 9-2320-361-XX. -10 Operator's Manual -20 Orgzational Maintenance(typical maintenance), -34 Direct/General Support Maintenance(gets into rebuilding). Read atleast the -10 to get to know and understan your new investment aka $$$pit. When you need to know how to do basic repairs, read the -20. If you can't find what you need in the -20, it'll be in the -34. Parts mauals come in -20P, -34P. If you're still lost in the sauce, the military probably didn't think it'd be in the relm of Joe to fix. Then ask away, the knowledge here is immense.

Like my squad leader used to tell me, "I could give the answer to you, but what would you have learned if you didn't find it yourself first" Reading a military manual takes a little patience to navigate thru.

Have fun with your new toy :D

TexAndy

well, like every vehicle with batteries, you probably want to fire it up every two weeks if for no other reason than to let the batteries charge. Or just put them on a 24V charger.

Maybe once a month run it and drive it around a little to keep all your seals fresh and oiled up.

DO check your wheels. Look for seepage. It could be either brake fluid or wheel bearing seals. If you do need to replace bearing seals, go ahead and buy some wheel cylinder rebuild kits and refurbish your wheel cylinders as necessary while you've got the wheels off.

Scarecrow1

Congrads and welcome to the world of one more thing to fix list ......The TMs and other books will be a great help to you .My advice is to find a friend close to you who has one and swap turns working on them together , after all two heads are often better then one and a new friend is always a plus ......2cents

GoHot229

Don't you worry tripple 'T', you'll pick it up pretty quick, their fairly simple units to work on and repair. I'd start with checking all the fluids and lines in the engine bay. Then start doing searches for parts suppliers, most of which are mentioned here or there in the forum. Start reading or brousing through all the posts in the Deuce section of the forum.

ENJOY:driver:

Texas Two Ton

Thanks for all of your help. I can't for the life of me seem to find a canvas top for the bed. I have the troop seats and the bows. I looked under classified ads but found nothing. Can someone point me in the right direction?

TexAndy

not too many actual canvas cargo covers floating around out there. there's a few companies that will sell you a new one, tho. new life, beachwood, and a third one I forget the name of at the moment seem to be the top three mentioned on SS.

Or you can go with a vinyl cover. You can buy those new from the same company that sold them to the military for ~$480? I think. Or you can sometimes find a used one on the classified ads here for less than that.

WOLFMAN1

you talk about that you don't know much about the trucks. ebay sells some cds that i bought that has almost all the manuals on m35a2 m35a3 and some on just the m35. i'm still trying to find an engine manual for my m35 studebaker gasser

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just another little pointer.....
Identify and then befriend/hook up with some other Deuce owners near you. The friendships that I've found here are incredible. The technical advice and assistance is priceless. And the good hearted harassment from fellow OD Green Addicts is comforting... especially when if comes to the transfixation with these old MV's.

W E L C O M E aboard :D

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wolfman, Tbanks had a bunch of gasser manuals not too long ago, might want to send him a PM.

TexasTT, your biggest concern should be the brakes and bearings. Brakes going out is the worst, bearings going out while on the road gets expensive REALLY quick. Take your time and look things over at home, that way if you have problems on the road, you know what to do. The PMCS is a pain but well worth it in the long run. If you get into things and have trouble, let us know. Welcome to the site.

Heavysteven

Dito on Gimpyrobb post, you need check the brake system and lube the airpack. Changing all the fuilds should be on your list first.

My advice is baby steps, change the oil, change the fuel filters, etc...enjoy. When i first got my truck would try so hard to do it all in one day.

dozer1

I would guess the former owner meant that you should get in and drive it at least once a month, not at the most once a month. Like all vehicles, lack of use is probably as hard on them as anything. Gotta get them batteries shook up and charging, fuel moving through the lines, brake drums shined up, and seals warmed and moistened up. ect,ect,ect..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks