• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my new m35a2

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Others' opinions regarding 395s on stock rims -

V8srfun

Others' opinions regarding 395s on stock rims -

This is my point you have a bunch of people saying no it is bad with no real world evidence showing that is unsafe. There is a bunch of what if and it could but no actual failure or problems.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is my point you have a bunch of people saying no it is bad with no real world evidence showing that is unsafe. There is a bunch of what if and it could but no actual failure or problems.
When you lack enough experience to develop opinions of your own and you're forced to make decisions relying on the opinions and experiences of others, it is best to solicit opinions from as many sources as possible. (Referring to the OP)

I've had a bunch of these trucks (5t and 2.5t) with tires ranging from 9.00, 11.00, 14.5R20, 15.5R20, 365's, 395's, 14.00's and 16.00's. Specifically on deuces I've had M35A3 wheels, lock ring wheels, steel MRAP rims of various description, and a couple of different flavors of aluminum MRAP rims.

My opinion remains that 395's and the narrow lock ring rims are a suboptimal combination. My#1 pick for wheels and tires on a deuce is 395 XZLs on the aluminum MRAP rims that have the more robust valve stems.

You're not wrong. Your opinion isn't invalid. It's another relevant data point for the OP to consider when making his decisions.

HN6

Where does the hose go to. That is something someone added
One hose goes from a pump to end of manifold closest to cab then on end of manifold closest to radiator another hose comes out to pump and into that tube. Looks like a way to warm up water??? There is a piece of 3/4'' not the tube that a hose could be hooked to.

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Must be an "Alaska Special". What's inside the "can"?

Maybe one can connect it to a hot water hose and it works like a small heat exchanger to keep the coolant warm-ish? Even so, how does the hot water circulate?

Could it be a coolant quick drain? At the end of the work day, open the big cap and let the water pump push all the coolant out, then, in the morning, connect a hose and fill it right back up? As a way to prevent freezing and not use a block heater?

Ok, third idea (I had a coffee, can you tell?) it is an "extension" to the Deuce coolant system to hook into the coolant system of another machine, such as a loader etc., and sit there, just pumping lukewarm coolant through both systems.

Can't say I have seen that before.

Last edited:

HN6

Must be an "Alaska Special". What's inside the "can"?

Maybe one can connect it to a hot water hose and it works like a small heat exchanger to keep the coolant warm-ish? Even so, how does the hot water circulate?

Could it be a coolant quick drain? At the end of the work day, open the big cap and let the water pump push all the coolant out, then, in the morning, connect a hose and fill it right back up? As a way to prevent freezing and not use a block heater?

Ok, third idea (I had a coffee, can you tell?) it is an "extension" to the Deuce coolant system to hook into the coolant system of another machine, such as a loader etc., and sit there, just pumpink lukewarm coolant through both systems.

Can't say I have seen that before.
Nothing inside the can. just air.

HN6

Looked closer at it again today. Appears to be a canister to warm water or whatever liquid you want. the coolant from the manifold is runs around the tube like a heat exchanger and heats whatever is on the inside. Kind of neat. Hot water in the woods I guess.

fasttruck

Post 9 is the straight skinny. Don't make a move without the pubs: operators manual, organizational maintenance manual, parts book, and lubrication order. A deuce with a winch has something on the order of 45 grease points. Neglect them at your own peril. Don't forget the oil can points either; door latches, rollers in window lifts, hinges and such.

HN6

Week 2 of thinking, tinkering and reading about this new infatuation is tiring me out and then a brown bear on the porch at 0200 ruined my nights sleep. time to read some more and order parts to get ready for next week. Finished a few welding jobs this week, so hopefully I can work on my toy soon.

The cost of ownership sure was a good read and very true. I kind of laugh about it now.

HN6

Couple questions for anyone interested in replying.

1. I believe I have the T136-21 (sprag) style T-case. I tried engaging it today to see if it works. Well, it is unhooked from lever. Can I add parts to upgrade to air? I don't really want the front only engaging after the rears slip. I believe that is how it works from what I read.

2. Search engine: I must be doing something wrong because I have better luck searching on yahoo to find the articles on steel soldiers. I can do the exact same search on here and get zero results while yahoo will give me multiple results with articles from steel soldiers.

My seal kits for all axles and 6 wheel cylinders should be here soon to start some maintenance.

Thanks to everyone past and present for all the information on here.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couple questions for anyone interested in replying.

1. I believe I have the T136-21 (sprag) style T-case. I tried engaging it today to see if it works. Well, it is unhooked from lever. Can I add parts to upgrade to air? I don't really want the front only engaging after the rears slip. I believe that is how it works from what I read.

2. Search engine: I must be doing something wrong because I have better luck searching on yahoo to find the articles on steel soldiers. I can do the exact same search on here and get zero results while yahoo will give me multiple results with articles from steel soldiers.

My seal kits for all axles and 6 wheel cylinders should be here soon to start some maintenance.

Thanks to everyone past and present for all the information on here.
1) The sprag t-case works fine. They're a little fragile, and very intolerant of rolling backwards while in a forward gear. My understanding is the only way to go to an air shift t-case is a t-case swap.

I've been stuck in a truck with a sprag t-case and it turned all 10 wheels in forward and reverse. Although the truck was buried in mud to the diffs, I did eventually extract it under its own power.

2)google or yahoo do a much better job of searching the site than the site itself does. No explanation....

What kind of brake fluid does your truck have in it?

HN6

1) The sprag t-case works fine. They're a little fragile, and very intolerant of rolling backwards while in a forward gear. My understanding is the only way to go to an air shift t-case is a t-case swap.

I've been stuck in a truck with a sprag t-case and it turned all 10 wheels in forward and reverse. Although the truck was buried in mud to the diffs, I did eventually extract it under its own power.

2)google or yahoo do a much better job of searching the site than the site itself does. No explanation....

What kind of brake fluid does your truck have in it?
DOT 5.

Upon further inspection previous owner installed a spin on fuel filter kit... nice find for me

Work list starting on Thursday:

- 2 speed air TCase install
-complete rebuild kits for front axle and one rear with boots
-2 yukon lockers
- 6 new wheel cylinders,
-fix power steering mount and add a pulley to already installed system
-(6) 395/85/20 and wheels (in state deal I am thankful to find),
- possibly start cutting on cab and turn into an extended cab after other maintenance finished.. add 24'' of space.

Possible other work and suggestions, please!

-I believe I should replace head gasket just because... appears to leak some..?
- Brake lines?
-What other mechanical items?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks