• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New M923A1

flynhi

Here are a couple pics of my new rig (new to the sight too). As this is my first MV I was extremely happy that it made the 85 mile trip home from Fort McCoy without issue. Couple of things to take care of now that it's home...generator needs to be replaced, and speedo is not working. I have found and downloaded the TM's, which are a great resource but I'm having a heck of a time finding (searching) the sight for specific stuff, hints/tips on what replacement generator to buy and where, who has new belts, what kind of paint do I need etc. I can see that people tend to get a little perturbed when questions get asked over and over. I'm sure I'll get the search engine figured out...it's not rocket science right?M923A1.jpgM923A1 w tarp.jpgM923A1 open engine comp.jpg

Very nice. Welcome to the site and hobby. Can't help with the 923 questions, but the search engine works well. There is a sub forum on painting,etc. that should have the info you need.

There are also many vendors that will have the stuff you need, like TNJ Murray, Eastern Surplus, Memphis Equipment, Erik's Military Surplus.....there are more. Also there is a Want To Buy section in the classified section.

Someday, I hope to try a 5 ton.

Good luck with your new MV!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
hints/tips on what replacement generator to buy and where,
Does yours have the standard M-series 60A unit? SS classifieds, ebay, etc. You can try and rebuild it, they're simple but parts are supposedly hard to come by. There are a couple threads about rebuilding out there somewhere.

who has new belts,
If your truck has the NHC250, then this speadsheet will help you (I think - is the 809 the same as the 939 for belts?)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoJuiPMjMpsVdC1OLTN2WGtXNzVNcUsxVnotLXZYUlE#gid=0

what kind of paint do I need etc.
Try this to get started:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...week-Sherwin-Williams-CARC-or-Rapco-Gillespie

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just picked up a similar truck, and the alternator on it was bad as well, I have it at a local shop who rebuilds them $109.

bigboy44

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the addiction of Green Iron. I would sell you a alternator but the shipping would kill you. Welcome from Covington, LA.

tobyS

Are you sure it is the alternator or do you possibly have a stubborn set of Hawker batteries? Generator won't "bring back" the Hawker, thus one may think it is faulty generator when it is a battery charge issue.

I just put two 1400ah batteries in to replace a set of (4) Hawkers that I hope to "bring back" on the bench. I understand it takes 4-5 days each to do it right.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking truck the 939 series trucks are a very nice ride and yours looks like a pretty nice example, get the little things fixed and you will have a lot of fun!
KK

flynhi

Thanks for the nice welcome, tips, and links!

The problem was (at least) the generator...the bearings went and when they did it fried it. Have a Delco 21si on the way to try until I can find a reasonably priced "correct" replacement.

Thanks again everyone

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks