• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My "new" M931A1 project truck.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I won this very cool USMC 1986 M931A1 a month or so ago. It was way down in south Georgia so I had the very competent MV restorer, Tommy Craig, pick it up and take it to his place. Originally it was going to be my keeper, but then I found another project :) So, I decided to have Tommy fix it up for me to sell to some other enthusiast. Tommy does great work. He has worked on these trucks for years and his projects include everything from deuces to 939-series trucks to HEMTT's. I wish I could keep it, but I will need every dollar on hand for my next adventure. I will post up some better pictures when I get them.

It is powered by the NHC-250 Cummins. It has 10-bolt super-single rims with the 14.00R20 Goodyear tires. It should climb like a billy goat with the Detroit Lockers in the rears. It also has the always present USMC favorite, the fording kit.

I will be setting it up with either a hard or soft-top, depending on buyer's preference. It should be a fun truck. Tommy hopes to have it ready to drive away in the next 4 weeks or so. He already has it running and driving after he put a rebuilt injection pump on it.

More updates later :D

Attachments

kcimb

I have some pics of m900 tractors at the navy base when I was there for drill saturday..thats what this is Chris right?

You seem to like the 900 series :)

No.2Diesel

Very Cool man!!! Now I see why you like these things! There quite, comfortable, fast, and no smell of diesel fumes!

-We just changed all the fluids in the 923. The tranny filter is easy as its right there near the tranny cooler in the engine compartment. We did get all the paper work, Ops manual and previous work records.

kcimb

Seabee trucks in their natural state...doing nothing :lol:

Maybe yours came from here SS. There'a a few 5 ton m900 series trucks still elft, along with some 800 series, and even m35s left.

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No.2, I like the speed, the size of the cab, the one-piece front end, the air brakes, the wiper motors, the automatic, and the lower noise. My 923A2 was a great highway cruiser so far as 21k lb trucks with 49" tires go. I was running 60-65 all the way back from Aberdeen last year. The trip was pretty effortless, except when the horn started blowing without me touching the button and kept blowing until I yanked the wire off of the bottom of the column at 60 MPH in 3 lanes of heavy traffic on I-95 in MD. It scared the crap out of all of the passing motorists. :D

No.2Diesel

With the 11"s it cruises a little slower but just as easy. You could easily go cross country with a 939

Question: When yours downshifted into 1st just before coming to a stop, was it abrupt? Ours is not quite slamming into 1st but its pretty hard. All other shifting seems normal and tight.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, the Allison would hit pretty good when it it dropped into 1st gear. I drove a 24' moving truck once with an Allison Slam-o-matic in it. It would jar your teeth when it up or down-shifted. That was a long 600 miles.

Rattlehead

steelsoldiers said:
....the horn started blowing without me touching the button and kept blowing until I yanked the wire off of the bottom of the column at 60 MPH in 3 lanes of heavy traffic on I-95 in MD. It scared the crap out of all of the passing motorists. :D
That was the automatically activated "Urban Traffic Clearing Device", another unique feature of the modernized 939 series. You weren't supposed to yank the wire out!

I must have a sensor problem on mine, as it requires manual activation.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Darn it! I didn't see the MWO tag for that! It turned out that water had leaked down into the steering column because someone stole the horn button. I pulled the horn contact cove off of the column and rusty water poured out. Nice. The contact and diode were rusted all to heck.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Chris with the young one nearing a year you should practice what the Koreans do and give him a huge present like this truck then it is his and you would not be able to sell it. In Korea the first birthday is a party bigger than my wedding was then they do not get a big party till they hit 65. By that time the truck would be in your grand sons name.

It is a way cool truck and wow would your son love to drive it to school in a few years

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Here is what it should look like when done

Have you added this to the "for sale" section?! DOH! J/K :)

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a front shot of the truck. It'll look better once Tommy gets the headlights and the new bumper installed. I also got a good used hard-top for it from Bkubu. More updates later!

Attachments