• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My "new" MEP002a in South America.

Triple Jim

He means misfire. During the first part of your video, one cylinder was firing only occasionally. Later it seemed to fire properly and the smoke disappeared.

Macondo

Good job, much better video this time! I too agree with the advice to check out the valves and their settings since you have some time before hooking up to your house. Also, I wonder about the injector's pop-off settings. We have a member here "Storeman" who if you send your injectors to can check and adjust/tune your injectors if it points to be a problem in that direction. But I would first rule out the valves since that is something you can do. The stuck ring theory is also plausible since you say it seems to be using oil and no telling how long this unit sat before you purchased it. If running under load and it points to a stuck ring some ATF fluid or Marvel Mystery oil could be added to the diesel fuel and run under load to help unstick a ring.

Overall, you units looks to be in good shape. By the way, what is the year of Mfg of your unit? Didn't see any pictures or video of the nameplate/placard on side of control box.
Thanks!
-I would not have problems with injectors. Is very difficult to send it by mail. In the worst case I´ll buy a pair. Time is critical...you don´t konw when the things will happen here. Any way I keep in mind your sugestion.
Yes valves first.
I check the mfg when I arrive this night at home!
Again all of you are very nice people!
These forum are incredible!!!

Macondo

He means misfire. During the first part of your video, one cylinder was firing only occasionally. Later it seemed to fire properly and the smoke disappeared.
Ok now I understand! Well I think there are several conditios that cause misfire. Let´s go valves first!

Chainbreaker

Ok now I understand! Well I think there are several conditios that cause misfire. Let´s go valves first!
I think Rustystud makes a good point. Before you start taking things apart it would first be best to determine which cylinder is the one misfiring. That way you know which cylinder to focus your efforts on. Of course, it is still a good idea to insure both cylinder's valves are adjusted properly.

I also agree that buying a new set of injectors is a good approach even if it turns out yours are good. It is good to have a spare set on hand!

Macondo

I think Rustystud makes a good point. Before you start taking things apart it would first be best to determine which cylinder is the one misfiring. That way you know which cylinder to focus your efforts on. Of course, it is still a good idea to insure both cylinder's valves are adjusted properly.

I also agree that buying a new set of injectors is a good approach even if it turns out yours are good. It is good to have a spare set on hand!
Hello there!

Chainbraker
"Overall, you units looks to be in good shape. By the way, what is the year of Mfg of your unit? Didn't see any pictures or video of the nameplate/placard on side of control box."

MFG is 01/83. Soon picture. Perhaps tomorrow open the valve cover (Follow the book) and check it. Yes, excellent advice, step by step, I've made several mistake in my life trying resolve several issues at the same time. I'll do that. Also I need to do a wish list parts for my MEP voltage regulator (critical), injectors, fuel pump, etc. But first I would like to have a MEP works with out any issue.

Thanks.

Macondo

Hello,
I opened the valve cover and in side was in very good shape, no dirty oil, no nothing!

IMG_1306.jpg IMG_1307.jpg IMG_1308.jpg.

The valves of Cylinder No 1. (I suppose if i stand in front of cooler is that, as inline engine car's) were ok. No2. the exhaust valve needed adjust, was loose.
This weekend I'll start and see.
Thanks to all.

Last edited:

Keith_J

Very interesting. Started mine up today, it has been cooler here, down to the mid 30s at night. Anyhow, it started up easily and was at operating speed in under 10 seconds. Very little smoke although I did run the preheat for 15 seconds. This got me to thinking it could be a bad glow plug which should be easy to diagnose.

On the bad note, one of my water heater elements I use to load test burned out. I had run the voltage up to max to check the voltage regulator, this makes for 230 volts in three phase. But then again this was an OLD element, salvaged from a rusted out heater. They are dirt cheap, free when you are lucky. And yes, I immerse them in water.

Macondo

Hello people!

Sorry not to write but I was busy!

In my last post I wrote that I was adjusting the valve clearance, I did...then this weekend I stared, you can't imagine the smoke! At the start I suppose was like the last time, but no, the smoke did not stop; I waited almost 10 minutes and stopped. What a disillusion! Of course I did something wrong with the valves!!! Need your advise, please.
-Which is cylinder No1. (Please read #66). "A" mark is for No. 1 as the manual says.
-Are there rocker arms when are not presses the valves are in some way "loose"?
-Inside of the rocker arms there are a kind of spacer named "ball" (figure 7-9 position "2", page 7-10.2, Manual No. 2) when are not presses the valves are in some way "loose"? (again).
-Any others comments / suggestions ?

Waiting your words!

jamawieb

You need to make sure you're on the compression stroke of the piston travel for cylinder 1.
Take the valve cover off and turn the motor over with a 5/8 wrench on the blower, then watch the valve that is closet to the blower (this is the intake valve on cylinder 1). Then rotate the motor till you see that valve go down and then up (this is the start of the compression stroke). After that valve comes up, look at the blower for A. Then adjust your valves for cylinder 1, all you have to do is tighten or loosen the nut on the valve.
The most important part is to make sure you complete this with cylinder 1 on the compression stroke. I accidently did this opposite of the compression stroke and mine smoked like crazy.

Macondo

Jamawieb good evening,

Thanks your answer. Tomorrow I will find the start of the compression stroke! Yes my poor engine was like steam boat!

jamawieb

After you get your valves timed correctly, if it still smokes bad, it's going to be your injectors. I think you have an injector leaking into the cylinder and its not able to burn off all the fuel. I've had some generators smoke just like that and after I had the injectors rebuilt, it ran perfect with no smoke.
Does the smoke burn your eyes real bad and smell like unburned diesel? I also bet after it runs for a few minutes, you can take your finger and wipe it in the exhaust and your finger will have a wet black soot all over it. Dry black soot is good but wet soot is the unburned fuel. I hope this makes sense.

Macondo

Hello!

At last! My engine is great! No smoke, valves ok! This morning I started it, at the beginning a lot of smoke, I turned off after several minutes. Wait 10 minutes, start again and some smoke them no more...runs without smoke, "smooth" sound and normal vibration. I left it on for more 30 minutes.
Is was no easy..needs time, good advice and specially common sense in order to understand how works the engine's cycle (720).
Find the moment when the compression beguine, the valves at the same high and look for the A or B letter took me some time.
Thanks Janawieb for your support.
I will be here soon when I connect my 002a at home...surely I'll need more info!

Macondo

Good day!
I would like your advice where to buy a pair of injectors (good price, etc). I still have a smoke when I start (since I check the valves, much less than the beginning).
Thnks!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'd start by sending "storeman" a PM to see if he has any. He has been rebuilding them for a lot of guys here and everyone has been happy. I'd recommend sending your spares to him before having them shipped to you anyway.

Macondo

I'd start by sending "storeman" a PM to see if he has any. He has been rebuilding them for a lot of guys here and everyone has been happy. I'd recommend sending your spares to him before having them shipped to you anyway.
Thank you Gimpyrobb, the problem is a titanic task send from here (Venezuela) some parts to any other place in the world and bring againg.... We have to ask to goverment autorithation, pepers, etc. this is almost comunist country.. Is easier to buy and sending with other way.
Are these injectors are the same as civilian Onan model?
Thanks!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
To tell you the truth I don't know enough about them to tell you.

I purchased some spare motors for my gensets so I don't need to worry if something breaks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks