• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New Project - 1942 Ford GPW

Another Ahab

Got some things done over the last few days. Received the engine back from the machinest and will be cleaning up the block for priming and painting. He did a great job stiching the crack in the block. Axles and brakes parts are apart and waiting for a variety of parts. Kind of on hold until that stuff comes in. Starting on refencing 1800 feet of pasture so I will be plum worn out tomorrow. Hope to get the first 300 feet done. Here are some photos of the engine, block stitching, axles and brakes:

View attachment 568884
The repair to the crack in the block looks great; man (presuming so), knows what he's doing, for sure.

And I don't envy you the fence line work. I sure hope your tractor sports an auger off the PTO. I'd hate to think of digging all those post holes by hand.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And I don't envy you the fence line work. I sure hope your tractor sports an auger off the PTO. I'd hate to think of digging all those post holes by hand.
For the most part, in this section of TX you dig post holes with a jack hammer or dynamite. I'm hoping his posts are fine and he's just restringing wire.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I look at those parts and just imagine what I know what they will look like in a month or so. Anybody ever seen BRAND NEW MB parts?? :popcorn:

Well...that's what TWM's stuff will look like when he's done...:beer:

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have the typical 503 crack in my GPW block. By the distributor. Didn't even know it was there until I was working on the starter. It's been repaired previously and is not currently leaking but I know it's only a matter of time. It's a GPW block but not the original so I am just going to try and find a replacement. If it was the numbers block like yours, I'd definitely try and have it fixed/repaired/etc.

Your project looks fantastic. Your motorpool is working towards being a world class collection.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Squeezed out some time today to clean up the exterior surface of the block for painting. Primed and painted it. the photos do not correctly show the color with is New Ford Gray but I will blame that on my IPhone. Ready to start final assembly once I figure out where all the parts go. :-(

Painted-Block.jpg Block, Valve Side.jpg

zout

Thats fine TWM.....i am color blind anyhow.

Looks great & like Clinto said . your going to have some excellent equip at the ranch.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took a break from working on the property fence and worked on the front and rear axles. Had to replace to carrier bearings and cups in the front axle. Also replaced the internal oil seals in the differentials and the pinion seals. Adjusted preloads where necessary but the axles were in very good shape with original "F" marked parts. Here are some pics so far:

Front Axle.jpg Rear-Axle.jpg

Another Ahab

Took a break from working on the property fence and worked on the front and rear axles. Had to replace to carrier bearings and cups in the front axle. Also replaced the internal oil seals in the differentials and the pinion seals. Adjusted preloads where necessary but the axles were in very good shape with original "F" marked parts. Here are some pics so far:
Excellent looking work as always, real nice.

So did Ford stamp each part out of their plants with an "F"?

turnkey

So did you win the lottery or what ...Looking great both inside and outside.....Nice looking work area also.....Great build....The stuff almost as good as the Monkeygas garage in Texas.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, until Uncle Sam made them stop. The jeep tub was stamped in the rear with the Ford script like the old ford pickup tailgates. Almost all other parts were stampe with the script F mark. From bolts to engine blocks and all the parts between. I guess old Henry really like the recognition.

Another Ahab

Yes, until Uncle Sam made them stop. The jeep tub was stamped in the rear with the Ford script like the old ford pickup tailgates. Almost all other parts were stampe with the script F mark. From bolts to engine blocks and all the parts between. I guess old Henry really like the recognition.
The Old Man deserved it. He was something else.

I think I read somewhere that briquettes (for grilling) were an idea of his. Ford made it's own wooden parts as needed at the plants, and he figured why just throw out the wood waste when there was money to be made?

So he came up with the idea of mixing the wood waste of the plants with kerosene, and marketing it as "Briquettes". You can check me on this, but I think that's what I read. The man was pure genius; always thinking.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

I have read that the "F" marks were a warranty thing-that Ford didn't want to warranty a single Willys item- and that would make sense since so many of the items (like ring gears and such) are marked, even though they can not be seen.

I certainly wouldn't put it past him (the recognition thing).

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gee Clinto, I wonder if our "F" marked parts are still in warranty. By the way, do you have a spare differential yoke? I need the shield off one.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Gee Clinto, I wonder if our "F" marked parts are still in warranty. By the way, do you have a spare differential yoke? I need the shield off one.
I don't. I have very few spare G503 parts. Sorry.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got some time before starting fence work today and gave the axles two coats of OD. Once the brakes are done I will have enough to put together my rolling chassis. The only thing standing in my way is a week long family vacation at the beach. :-?

Painted-Front-Axle.jpg Rear-Axle-Painted.jpg

zout

Geeze...week at the beach will be brutal.wish i could be punished like that.

Great job continuing on with the truck TWM....i am always impressed by your workmanship.