• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new purchase (M49)

Jim Hunter

Hello guys,

Today I was struck a deal and bought my first US Army truck.A M49 w/gas 6 cylinder engine.
Truck has some years to start and I need your advice to what I have to do ?
Also anyone can please let me know the specs of the required batteries please ?

Thank you,
Jim

Attachments

Maverick1701

Good save sir! I would say find the batteries with the highest cold cranking amps (That will fit in the battery box) and drop them in. The stock 6tl military batteries are expensive...

gunboy1656

I might be off, but that looks more like an M50 water truck, then the M49 fuel truck. Either way still looks good. any pics of the other toys they have?

I have family that is from Greece, they moved here for a while but then went back.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The good news is that the sheet metal appears to be decent and most things seem to be there. The turn signals are nice, early style ones and probably original.
Good luck with the restauration!

Picture 4, to the left, that is a Mercedes G wagen sitting on its brakes there...:cookoo:

Last edited:

joeM62

All you need is 2 batteries that have the same cranking amp I used 2 that were
putting out 500 cranking amps each it did good in the duce.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a M49. WM, If it's a gasser some stuff has been changed. The drivers side tool box is from an early gasser. Notice the drivers side windshield is newer, where the passenger side one is from an early gasser that belongs on the drivers side. I like the gasser/427 rear exhaust. Good looking truck, nice save.:beer:

Last edited:

Jim Hunter

I am glad you like my small truck guys !
Any idea about the production year of the M49 ?
Also do these trucks have air brakes ? If not possibly it has a leak as the pedal has no pressure at all.Where is the M/C located ?

Thank you,
Jim

Tomorrow in the yard again with more pics!

Barrman

The engine is a REO OA-331. Called the Gold Comet. Not much battery is needed to turn it over compared to a diesel. A matched set of something is best. If all you are trying to do is fire it up and move it. Then just any pair will work.

The brakes are hydraulic drum at all 6 corners with air assist. The master is under the little hatch in front of the drivers seat and to the left of the tunnel. You will need a 3/8" wrench to remove the vent line and a 3/4" to remove the cap. Plan on holding a flash light in your teeth as you wedge yourself between the seat and steering wheel to look down into the master. You don't need air to stop at all, so the pedal should be solid and good with no air in the system.

The sheet metal is 1952 or earlier for the cab/fenders/running boards. I don't know enough about the tank part to even comment. What does the data plate on the passenger side of the dash say?

Jim Hunter

Thanlks Barrman for the info... and all the guys for their help..
Today I was remove the gas tank.I really shot and I need to find another one.
Missing are the mirrors , windshield wiper blades , cab top cover,horn button
I am wonder if there is NOS carbs available ?
Also these era trucks didn't have high / low ?

Rgds,
Jim

Barrman

There is a high and low for the transfer case. That is the lever between the seat and the transmission shifter. Engagement of the front axle is automatic through the way the transfer case works.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim Hunter, you may have seen that all manuals that you could ever want or need for these trucks are available for download from this site. If you do not want to spend the time, they are often on eBay, on a CD.

You will find that operating and restoring is a lot easier with the right manual.

123mack

As far as I can tell, the manuals on this site are not accessable at this time. Also,judging from the grammar in Jim's posts, I would say English is not his native language, so let's cut him a little slack.

3dAngus

What is that M37 looking truck in pic 2. Not a M37, but it sure looks good and looks like it is being used.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks