• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new-to-me 1952 USMC M38a1

Waters

So I joined the forum awhile back and just now have a military vehicle of my own. Its my first, as well as my first jeep. I will post pictures tomorrow, but I have to say how much fun I'm having with this little thing. It appears to be originally a USMC jeep, and has all data plates to support that. I bought it from the second civilian owner, an old man who drove m38a1s new in korea with the USAF (5th AACS). I am told it was at some point released from the USMC to the KY Air National Guard, and served at Staniford Field. This was very interesting to me, as I am a young USAF veteran myself.

The Older gentleman bought it in 1991, and has kept it maintained and garaged and barely driven since then. He had it given a fresh coat of glossy marine corps green years ago, and kept it out of the salt. In fact, the only rust I can find on the body is two small places under the gas tank, and a little near the passenger floorboard drain. The frame coating is peeling and surface rust is starting, but that is a project to tackle in the future.

Besides being excited about my new toy, I have a ton of questions that internet searches aren't always answering. Most of these pertain to USMC specific markings and equipment, as the seller added his own USAF markings in the correct USMC yellow color that I need to replace.

Due to the existence of mounting holes in the right fender and on the rear wheel well, I figure the jeep once had both a siren and a large radio set up (still has the antennae). But for the life of me I cannot find any photos of a USMC military police vehicle, if I want to take that route with the markings. I also can't tell if the tire pressure markings should stay, as that appears to be an army thing.

As far as technical issues, so far everything seems pretty ship-shape. I do need to troubleshoot the vacuum wipers as they barely move, and the switch seems to be too loose to be functional. The fender blackout light wiring shorted in half shortly before I bought it, so I need to look up some replacement wiring for that, as well as maybe replace the headlight wiring before the insulation gets any more brittle.

So standby for photos tomorrow, and if anyone has any insight on Marine Military Police markings, that would be very helpful!

Bravo2Uniform

COngrats and a Few Restoration Tips

CONGRATULATIONS:

Afew things you need to know to restore and M38A1:

1. Most of the parts were apparently, judging by the cost, made by Bavarian gnomes, made of unobtainium, and forged in Vulcan's furnace.
  2. If they don't cost an arm and a leg, they don't fit or work right.
  3. Corollary to #'s 1 and 2 - no matter how diligently you search for a part, the day after you buy it you will see it somewhere else for a drastically lower price.
  4. JEEP is actually an acronym for "Just Empty Every Pocket"
  5. The most important piece always falls and rolls the least accessible location in the shop.
  6. Corollary to # 5 - any tool dropped will roll under the exact center of the Willys.
  7. Interchangeable parts aren't
  8. There is always one more thing that needs to be replaced to make it original.
  9. Corollary to # 8 - and that part is both expensive and unobtainable.
  10. Restoring my M38A1 is the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on.

Last edited:

Jeeagle

We have two original USMC Late contract Jeeps here at work so if you need reference for anything let me know and I can get photos. Both were radio Jeeps, one of them set up with the larger gen (MISSING) but still has the rectifier in the grille!

Not all, but chances improve with contract USMC M38a1s that the axles came with Limited Slips! So be sure to verify that before changing out fluid as they take special additive.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couple of things. I don't see the special USMC-only rear airlift bumper. If you don't have lockers in the axles, I would be suspect of the responsible agency data plate. The main data plate boards were available new with all plates attached for a long time, however the rep agency plate was printed "Marine Corps". So the previous owner could have swapped this out. Is the serial number stamped very neatly on the main data plate?

Next, are you sure there were USMC MP units that had vehicles assigned in the 1950's? I am not a leatherneck but I do not think so.

Waters

it doesnt have the rear bumper, but i have seen pics from marines in lebanon with early a1 hood numbers and nothing but the two bumperettes.

the serial number is there but i have no way of knowing that it has always been on this jeep. compared against a small database i found at the g503, the serial number would fall in the correct stamped date of delivery.

personally i prefer the army getup with the stars more than the usmc, but with such a good exterior paint in the usmc color i have no plans to model this jeep as anything but a usmc unit. at the current time, it sports no hood number and far east air force bumper insignia, so it is a bit confused about its identity until I get into redoing the bumpers.

Jeeagle

Losoks great, but I never understood peoples obsession with gloss OD paint. Never seen a actual gloss OD army/marine vehicle behold.

Also, did actual USMC come with LSDs or Lockers? They are two different setups. Lockers are a Mechanical setup locking both axles together, where as LSD or Limited Slips use clutches to keep axles locked together via pressure until a specific weight-tension amount reaches and it will allow them to spin separate.

Last edited:

Waters

1279.jpgI haven't seen much green iron with gloss, but I'm new to the hobby. I have found a few A1's in Marine units with google image searches, best I can tell the semi-gloss was a "thing".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks