• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new to me 1980 M35A2

STrider3

After years and years of toying with the idea of getting a deuce I finally bit the bullet and just did it. I did it without really thinking about it. I had an immaculate 1978 Jeep Cherokee Chief in the garage that I did not drive often enough to warrant the space it took up. My jeep was a museum piece that did not get moved if there was a cloud in the sky and never in the winter. I live at the end of a mile long rural road which is mostly gravel and mud and I was getting more and more unwilling to take the stones out of the tires every time I went into town so.... I sold it. I also had a 2004 F-350 SD 6.0 Lariat which was way too fancy for the farm chore of getting a trailer full of hay and feed semi-weekly so.... I sold it.

The deuce is now my only truck. I bought it via a picture-less craigslist ad. At first, then even second glance it was in very good condition and decided to buy it before the owner even started it up. After getting it home and living with it for a few days a few things became apparent that colored my initial optimism but most everything is cosmetic and/or minor that I can take care of by myself over time. I tend to micro-detail every vehicle I own so a few cases of paint, a DA and a few hundred sheets of sandpaper, some data plates, switches, bulbs and seals things will be alright in the end.

Two questions though. For a strange reason the seats were switched in that passenger got the sprung drivers' seat while the driver perched lower in the fixed pass. seat. I switched them and am now happy with the drivers mount I would really like is a bench seat for two others in the cab. I cannot wait to take my 2yo grandson for a ride in this deuce. I am certain that he will be grinning as much as I do when I drive it. Does anybody know of any boneyard part sources that offer used parts that are reasonably priced? I am not paying $325 for a bench seat frame. When I owned a BMW motorcycle there was a BeemerBoneYard.com store that was extremely reasonable.

Another issue is that the driver's side gladhand does not have air while the right side one does. Is there a known condition where only one side of the trucks' air system works?

Thirdly, I was toying with the taillights and wondered why the red triangles were so much clearer on the right side of the truck than the left so I took off the lenses and found that there were square 4 red LEDs on the lower (military?) illuminating the triangles and then again several white LEDs in a triangle illuminating the lowest white rectangle. Tail/stop/turn bulbs were in the upper half of the taillight assembly. Are these LEDs a modification to the housing? Or is the housing an entirely separate item. IOW how do I get the left tail light to match the right?

Another thing I found was a broken radiator overflow tube which I JBWelded back on the radiator fill neck.

I already ordered a bunch of parts to fix the heater (switch) and vent control cables. Also a 5 pack filter set, a set of belts, 24vdc bulb assortments and am trying to match up a class 5 receiver hitch to tow civilian trailers. It turns out that the frame for the deuce is the industry standard 34" apart. Some things are easy.

This is my opening salve here on SteelSoldiers. I am looking forward to meeting some of you in the future and do intend to remain active in your community for as long as you will have me. I live in Northern Virginia or the Washington, D.C. metro area. The only other forum I belong to is Ducati.ms to support my 2 Ducati motorcycles, a 2004 ST3 and a 1995 900 SS/SP, which are immaculate.

thank you and best regards,
Greg L.

hole

Welcome :beer: I'm sure someone in your area will be able to help with a bench seat. The left glad hand only has air when you push on the brake pedal ( and have the valve on). I'm not familiar with the lights you've described as mine are old school bulbs, so no help there. I might be wrong but after a few cases of paint, data plates etc, wont you be getting back to the reason you didnt drive the others you sold? I am 100% for having the running gear in tip top shape on a 13k + lb truck, if for nothing else everyone else's safety on the road , but if you make her too pretty you'll have a pretty heavy trailer queen that will defeat the reason you sold the others.

rrrr

Just about everything you mention is covered in the forums so use the search function to help with questions. The TM's (technical manuals) are also available for download on the site so take advantage of those. They will also answer many questions and increase your familiarity with the truck.

Finally, where's the pictures of the new addition !

Have fun !

eagle4g63

Sounds like the spring seat was added instead of the bench seat, some of these did come with a box seat for the driver, as you noticed easy to change them around. As to a bench seat....I don't like mine as I can hardly drive with anybody in the middle without them getting whacked with the shifter. Have to remember with the 2yo you need to have a car seat so hope you have belts in there to hold it in legal. Too bad you weren't closer I would gladly trade you my bench for a regular ol' seat, as I am going to shorten this thing to a single seat come spring.

STrider3

Great points all esp. the potential to build myself another garage queen. I originally bought my 1995 SuperSport to build a track bike. One that I could let others ride without worrying too much about it. A friend wrecked it the day after I bought it and I spent literally 1000s of $$$$ fixing it up to perfection. I got carried away then but will do my ****edest not to let that happen with the truck. Old habits die hard though. Thank you for the gladhand information. Now I know which side to fill my tires with. Good thought on the bench seat. I really did not think about having a person right next to me but I guess I should. Better leave well enough alone for now.

I forgot to add that the oil pressure gauge does not work. I have not removed the instrument to check the gauge nor have I done any testing on the pressure sender. Like I said, these things take time and I do have time to spare. Maybe I will read a manual. Thank again, all.

rrrr

I forgot to add that the oil pressure gauge does not work. I have not removed the instrument to check the gauge nor have I done any testing on the pressure sender. Like I said, these things take time and I do have time to spare. Maybe I will read a manual. Thank again, all.
These instruments are grounded to the back of the instrument panel. It might be a simple grounding issue. If the gauge is a plastic type the mount is the ground. If its the older metal type the gauge itself is the ground.

Paladin6

Greg,
Just came across your post. How are you making out with that newly acquired deuce? I've got one myself as well in the Leesburg area. Have seen a few others on the road or parked in the area over the past year as well.
Some quick answers to a couple of your questions, based on my still expanding knowledge of the deuce. Definitely not an expert! I think the closest source of parts from a parts yard perspective, as well as new parts, is a company called TNJ Murray in Dover, DE. If you ultimately need a new gauge or sending unit, they likely have it.
Re. The LED taillight, it was a later upgrade to the taillights for better visibility, bulb life etc. Sounds like you have a mix of an old taillight on one side and a new style on the other, although I thought all the bulbs in the new style LED taillight assembly were LEDs. Perhaps LED bulbs were inserted at some point as a replacement or vice a versa in an older assembly.
Hope things are turning out well with your deuce. They are great vehicles, but like any older military truck you have to stay on top of them. Sounds like you will have no trouble doing that. Welcome to the site and to the fraternity of military vehicle owners.
Jeff

skidder

STrider3 ,Welcome to the GREEN family,an is a good bunch of guys from all over,to meet some of us they have rayles all ofer the usa. I think GILBERT PA. is close to you, Looking to having a coffee or a beer with ya ! Skidder

dilligaf13

I'm sure your grandson will love riding in the Deuce just make sure he's wearing some hearing protection. There are some good threads about different hearing pro with built in radios or MP3 if wanted. Enjoy!!!!

Paladin6

Forgot to mention that the East Coast Rally for military vehicles is in Aberdeen, MD this May. The will be many vendors there who will have a variety of used and new parts and accessories for the deuce and other military vehicles. It's a great event and worth getting out to. It will be held 8-13 May at Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen, MD.
Jeff

SteveKuhn

While they can sell a truck on Craigslist that way, I can't believe we're approaching the end of pg 2 w/out the full treatment:
nopics

Oh, and I so dearly love that MBAILEY54 Deuce as well.

Steve

STrider3

I left my camera in Florida with all the pics on it. I will figure out a way tomorrow when the sun is out to take some pics then post them. I understand the useless/pictureless thread and do apologize. This is not the way to start a relationship I know so will do my best to put them up.

SteveKuhn

I'm pretty sure everybody lays in the weeds just waiting to post that smiley.:grin: It was just your turn in the barrel. Welcome to the site from somebody else pretty new to the site & hobby.

Steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks