• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new (to me) M1009 tire carrier

edpdx

I picked this carrier up at the wrecking yard some months ago. I was looking for one for a few months and finally found this one on a Nissan pathfinder.

It was attached to a heavy duty bumper. Since the M1009 does not have one, I added one. First I removed the tow ring bars (3 bolts). I bought some 2"x3" to fab some longer ones. At the same time I bought 6 feet of 3"x3" tube steel (square). Using the original tow ring supports for templates, new holes were drilled- Pilot hole followed by tapered bit to 3/4" for the rings (1/2" for the bolts).

The 3"x3" bar was centered on top of the new ring bars and tack welded. The tire carrier- a Valley Industries model, was test fitted, tack welded and checked for open tailgate clearance. Finally welded all around, it was reinstalled and then primed and painted.

I think I'll add a wire for the license plate light.

Attachments

Last edited:

edpdx

Hoping for comments, cause I was a little worried that due to the heavy tire, I may require additional bracing on the upright tubing- maybe a 3/16" steel plate to shore-up the tube arch. Just concerned that off-road rattles could bend the tubing.

Think it might?

edpdx

Nut, by side-mount type, do you mean the type that attaches to the corner of the rig in two places? If so, those seem to wreak havoc on the sheet metal from what I have read and seen. I know I could have gone to a custom HD bumper; but I was trying to keep the back-to-stock option. This mount actually allows me to "unplug" the square tube with the tire carrier by unbolting the slide-in ring mount tubes. I can go back to stock by inserting the original parts in 15 minutes. My intention is to remove the carrier until I head for the hills. As a daily driver, I can keep my spare inside, then plug it in when I head into the sticks, and need more cargo room. :smile:

redline300

This may be a dumb questions(sorry), but why would you want the tire outside of the truck? I have an 85 M1009 and didn't really see a prob with the tire inside the rig. Is it the look you're going for? Or is it that you want/need that little bit of extra space in the back?

edpdx

red, not a dumb question at all. As you can see, the tire is inside now. The mount is snug and secure... but it is inside and it does does hog up space for my outdoor needs during hunting season. I usually draw tags for remote desert units, and need to take water and fuel as the last diesel stop can be far away. I have to have a couple of 7 gallon water tanks and 4-5 fuel cans. The tire seems to be the logical choice to move to free up space. The space gained is not "a little bit", more along the lines of 15 cubic feet.

I like a stock rig in the M1009; but the option of carrying the spare externally, or even 2 spares is appealing when you are in the sticks alone. It's not a "look" I'm after; I just figured there are not many affordable or temporary options for external carry... Bolt a spare to the grille? On top the fiberglass cap? Pass. The tailgate leaves little option but a stinger or swingaway carrier. Mine was easy to fab: 2 pieces of steel, a wrecking yard carrier, drill holes, a little welding- none into the stock M1009 bumper or body. Pull it off in a snap to go OEM.

edpdx

Thanks for the comments. I took a paint class at the community college. The instructor coached me in applying the Polyester 2-part primer to recoat the fiberglass top. The Paint was shot 2 weeks later- last Saturday, by me in the paint room. I used the Gillespie "383". Masking took the longest; but I managed to only get one small run [thumbzup].

I am going to shoot the inside with a tinted liner when things warm up.

firecontrol86

Looks good! That seems a good alternative to a tricky location. One day(if money allows) I'd like to put a cage in the rear of my 09, and I was thinking of making it basically bumped all the way up to the top of the camper. That way I could mount a roof rack on top bolted to the cage for spare, jack, jerry cans, etc.

OL AG '89

Nice add!!!
I've suffered through the "out of room" for stuff syndrome.
I have even considered removing the rear seat, but usually just put the extras in somebody else vehicle or leave it behind.
I like the removable feature and bringing back to stock option.

Midnight Rider

I like it. Definitely good job on the painting.

I want to move my spare to the outside just so it would be easier to access in the event of a flat tire. Right now I have so much stuff in the back that it will be a pain to dig it all out just to get to the spare.

GPrez

I'm not a big fan of the spare on the outside, but you did a nice job fabricating and finishing it off. I understand the need for more space, I had the same issue last fall trying to get all my hunting gear and my new ladder tree stand in mine. It just barely fit in the back with the spare inside. I'm considering fabricating a rooftop rack for mine, which will give me a lot of flexibility.

edpdx

Oldsouthernboy, The carrier came off of a Pathfinder at the boneyard; it is aftermarket though. It has a sticker on it that says "Valley Industries, Inc"

I looked at the link; but did not find the carrier?!? Call and see. If you take a picture to a fabricator it looks easy enough to make- 1 bend.

motorman

Hello edpdx

tire carrier looks nice. can you give an update on how it held up this hunting season?

how many times did you take it off road and how many miles.

i am looking to do something similar to have 2 spares for being in the woods. one on the rear and one on a safari rack. with 5 people the interior real estate is very valuable and getting the tire out is paramount

best regards