• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new to me MKT-75A

jasonjc

I got my MKT home from Ft Leonard Wood to today. Like a dumb a$$ I forgot to take a camera with so no pic's from up there. But here are some from when I got it home. It has a lot of stuff, haven't open it up all the way yet. I do see that the burner and ranges are missing:sad:. It has a over haul tag from 1978, boy only 36 year out of over haul:p. It's going to need a lot of TLC. Here's the pic's:

DSCN0071.jpgDSCN0072.jpgDSCN0068.jpgDSCN0062.jpg

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Missing the M-59 ranges, but you have the big pots and the square-head pans (which are the expensive parts of them to replace). Roof is the original 12 vent style. Lots of the cambro food and drink dispensers, so a good score on them. Roof canopy has been replaced with the vinyl type (Green on outside, white on inside) which is very positive. Drivers side carry cover is the old nylon type, which will rip apart if you look at it crosswise (just a caution). We will need more pictures to see what else you have or might be missing.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice MKT, welcome to the club. It is a lot of fun. If you can get the MBU units, pick them up. They are either hard to get or pricey. Good luck!

61sleepercab

I have outfitted a almost bare MKT 85 with ranges and burners obtained from Ebay and Govliquidation which at times have had brand new never issued ranges complete with all kitchen hand tools. Search terms which work are stove, oven, mbu burner, range , etc. You may want to look at GL site very soon (like right now). You have a head start with the big pots and the square baking pans and lids.
Lots of info out there, one fun site is a Youtube video of an armed service culinary contest which includes cooking in the field with the MKT trailer. 4 or 5 guys are cooking at once. Fun, fun. Mark

jasonjc

I have outfitted a almost bare MKT 85 with ranges and burners obtained from Ebay and Govliquidation which at times have had brand new never issued ranges complete with all kitchen hand tools. Search terms which work are stove, oven, mbu burner, range , etc. You may want to look at GL site very soon (like right now). You have a head start with the big pots and the square baking pans and lids.
Lots of info out there, one fun site is a Youtube video of an armed service culinary contest which includes cooking in the field with the MKT trailer. 4 or 5 guys are cooking at once. Fun, fun. Mark
I will check GL. I've seen that youtube vid it was cool to see.

I got the top up today between jobs. I has a lot of the stuff like 3 NIB multifuel lanterns , flouresnt lights , the exhaust fan, knives , a lot of utensils. I will lay out most if not all of the stuff tomorrow and take pic of it all. I may even put up the canvas and screens.

jasonjc

Look's like the only thing's I don't have is the burners and the ranges. I didn't put up the screen or canvas. I mite try that later. Now to start watching for burners and ranges.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are sooooo right. Only missing burners and the two ranges! First set #1 inverter, the rare slave cable power cord, and a fueling hose; #2 Recirculating fan and it's hose, roof jacks, 1/3 pan with gutter (used when two MKT's are butted together), the four straps and the fuel cans; #3 square head pan with LOTS of utensils; #4 Lots more utensils; #5 Pic 4 plus knives, rolling pin, measuring 'cup', all sitting on baking pans, #6 Fuel and water cans (extra water can lids are available on-line); #7 A double issue of CAMBRO food containers (std is only 8 ); #8 full issue of drink containers. Second set of pics: #1 canvas stuff in the ice box (but that means no aluminum grating between the two sections); #2 griddle with grease guards, vent screens and a floor mat: #3 I can see the colander on the left and the GI table outside; #4 two of the three ladders; #5 a double set of Jameson lights; #6 MKT opened up; #7 auxiliary baking sets (or at least the top two pieces); #8 square head lid and the condiment tray.

Thanks for sharing pictures of your wonderful purchase!

jasonjc

"#7 auxiliary baking sets (or at least the top two pieces)" Do you have some more info on these? I also have 2 stainless steel things that look like the one in pic 7 but are much thicker, any idea what they are for? Thanks

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
They hang inside the field range and support the baking sheets/trays when making cookies, brownies cakes, bacon or whatever. I may have 2 ranges down at the farm and will check on Tuesday. I'm coming down you way first weekend of may for the Red Ball. To you have any cables for the MBU's?

MKT's can feed up to 250 troops in the field. And if set up in pairs they can feed up to 500 or more soldiers. Burners used to be gasoline fired, but are now using the MBU(Modern Burner Unit) which is diesel fired. Much safer and more efficient. Only issue is that without the correct cabling and the power converter you have to have other methods of power. You can also power with a battery pack that was issued to some MKT's. It is heavy, for sure a 2 man lift, and you still need an extension MBU cable. Also limited cooking of approx. 5 hours, before battery pack needs re-charging. Lastly, you can use the MBU Slave Cable, which attaches to any MV with a NATO style port, but vehicle should be running to utilize. This means burning diesel in the vehicle and the MBU itself.

John

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"#7 auxiliary baking sets (or at least the top two pieces)" Do you have some more info on these? I also have 2 stainless steel things that look like the one in pic 7 but are much thicker, any idea what they are for? Thanks
Thicker ones go in the bottom of the oven to make a chamber of heat. Bottom piece gets hot and then radiates heat into the oven proper. but it's a more even heat so your biscuits don't wind up as hockey pucks.

jasonjc

Thicker ones go in the bottom of the oven to make a chamber of heat. Bottom piece gets hot and then radiates heat into the oven proper. but it's a more even heat so your biscuits don't wind up as hockey pucks.
Cool, Thanks for the info. Are there instruction for this in the TM's? Is there a cook book to go with these?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesssss. They are all covered (and a whole lot more) on one of my thumb (USB) drives. Search for the thread "MKT Thumb Drive" and check it out. The current version has about twice the data as is covered in the attachment to that thread.

61sleepercab

The thumb drive is a lot of info on the MKT. Good deal . I got a WWII Army cook book and the measures were 1.5 qt, 1.0 qt and canteen cup full.
You will find that volume cooking is usually measured in weights. Mark

jasonjc

DSCN0098.jpgDSCN0097.jpgDSCN0099.jpgOne more question for the MKT God's:not worthy:. What/where do these go? The TM say they are "Strut Fabric Holdout Assy". I don't see where or how they work.

Another Ahab

The thumb drive is a lot of info on the MKT. Good deal . I got a WWII Army cook book and the measures were 1.5 qt, 1.0 qt and canteen cup full.
You will find that volume cooking is usually measured in weights. Mark
Maybe quicker and easier than filling measured containers:

- I remember reading in a history of the Battle of Stalingrad (1942-1943) that the Wehrmacht measured fuel by the cubic meter.

Who knew all of this (food and fuel); learn a little something every day.